Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

30 Greatest Video Games That Time Forgot (theguardian)

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well this might be good forgotten console games article (dont know myself since only console I owned was Atart 2600) but its shitty forgotten PC games article.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Well this might be good forgotten console games article (dont know myself since only console I owned was Atart 2600) but its shitty forgotten PC games article.

Why not? The mention of Bioforge makes that list at least acceptable, at least to my weary eyes.
Freedom Fighters was kind of generic and forgettable. Never got around playing Interstate 76, but the engine was used for another forgotten gem, Battlezone 1998 (One of the best RTS/FPS hybrids, and it is still getting patched by a old developer).

I'm playing Oni currently. Somehow the game seems better to me now than it did at release.

Oni gets into the "acceptable" bracket. I doubt I could play it today. The controls were responsive, but the level design was kind of a letdown. Story was cringe-worthy. Fun boss fights, however.

Sacrifice! That was also a visionary and good game. Where did Shiny Entertainment went after that? (quick research) Ouch. Console and movie tie-ins. Sad end.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Interstate 76 is cool (but buggy as a anthill, you have to replace a dll and disable a song to complete the game ffs).
Sacrifice is brilliant and anyone should play it, in spite of its genre.
Alter ego is on the list too

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
The first time I played Oni was on PS2, and it had the attendant aiming problems that come with that. The analog sticks were way too touchy, making it hard to acquire a target quickly and accurately. Using an emulator and Xbox360 controller, I have no such trouble now. But yes, level design is bland as it gets.

Direwolf

Arcane
Freedom Fighters was shit, other than that the list is not too bad. I believe I completed Oni back in the day and got about half way through Sacrifice.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Your failure is assuming that the PC is the be-all and end-all of gaming. It isn't. As a piece that covers the entire gaming spectrum, this article is very good, and doubly so because it comes from mainstream media.

# 3D Deathrace is one of the highest-rated Spectrum games of all time by reviewers, mostly because it's a programming marvel on a tiny system. The article doesn't mention it, but pretty much everyone who played it back in the day imagined themselves re-enacting the speederbike chase from Return of the Jedi while playing.

# That the article not only names Aliens: The Computer Game (and not the strangely named U.S. Aliens) is interesting, and I find it outright amazing that it claims that it is superior to Colonial Marines. But it IS a very fascinating game, if primitive. But the article is spot on about one thing - this game was the scariest video game experience you could get that involved the Xenomorphs for 13 years running. It wasn't until Rebellion's Alien vs Predator in 1999 that a successor could be named. If anyone's interested in giving it a try, there's a nice remake available, with some extra features added.

# For those wondering about FreQuency, one of the people working at Harmonix is Eric Brosius, of Looking Glass Studios fame. That should help sate those looking for PC gaming connections in this list.

# I only own two games on this list, and Oni is one of them. I haven't touched that game in about 13 years, but I remember liking it because it was a 3D take on the standard arcade beat-em'up. IIRC, the story and plot wasn't too bad but the game was overly challenging by my tastes. Clearly a console title first and foremost.

# I love when The Neverhood gets some respect, it deserves so much more of it. It was a brave and bold attempt in game design, from an era when people weren't afraid to experiment.

# Another fact that the article doesn't mention is that Pyjamarama is part of a series, so to say. The main character starred in at least one other game, Everyone's A Wally, and possibly in 3 Weeks in Paradise as well. There was a lot of that on the 8-bit computers back in the day, the same protagonist popping up in several (and sometimes unrelated) titles.

# But of the 30 titles named, I only recognize half of them. I'm never going to proclaim that I'm an expert on gaming, but when you've been gaming for close to 30 years, you tend to pick up a few things. Some of the unfamiliar titles sound very fascinating, which is more than can be said for 95% of games released nowadays.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Freedom Fighters was shit, other than that the list is not too bad. I believe I completed Oni back in the day and got about half way through Sacrifice.
The epic soundtrack did the thing for me, so I really enjoyed Freedom Fighters.

I don't see reasons to hate this game apart from a little bit wonky shooting mechanics. Oh wait, also russkies could probably hate the game, cuz 'Fuck Amurica, we r 2 serious 4 dis, we cannot into laughing at ourselves'.

spekkio

Arcane
I know 80% of these games, own like 60% and played to completion like 40%.
Fuck me, I'm a hopeless nerd.

:cry:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Interstate 76 is one of my favorite PC games ever. Only problem is it runs like shit on modern hardware and you have to use 3DFX Voodoo Glide wrappers to get it too work properly, which is kind of a pain (I haven't tried running it on my current system, but did a few years back and was able to get it to work then).

It really needs an updated re-release kind of like what was recently done with "Duke Nukem" and "Shadow Warrior" on steam. Its nearly texture-less graphics have aged way better than most 3D games of its era, so I think it'd hold up incredibly well today. Plus, it had a surprisingly good storyline with really well done missions that actually integrated the storyline elements into them (as opposed to just being random dogfights). It plays a bit like virtua-racer meets "Mech-Warrior" with a "Pulp Fiction" sheen, and I remember the physics and dog fights being really fun (plus, at times, as challenging as any space-sim...I remember more than a few fights which came down to me, battered and out of ammo, circling the enemy and trying to take him out by shooting at him with just a pistol out my window. Sometimes if you got lucky you could hit the driver and insta-kill him without having to destroy the car, which was cool, but hard to do). Plus, you could upgrade you car with all sorts of awesome "Speed Racer" type shit like droppable mines and oil slicks and rocket launchers and what not.

Even just the intro is pure awesomeness:

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
the install program of I'76 was very cool itself.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Never got around playing Interstate 76, but the engine was used for another forgotten gem, Battlezone 1998 (One of the best RTS/FPS hybrids, and it is still getting patched by a old developer).

1) That brilliant engine was used for Mechwarrior 2 and MW2: Mercs as well.

2) Battlezone isn't getting patched. Battlezone 2 is getting patched. Which is a pity because it sucks donkey balls compared to the first one.

spekkio

Arcane

spekkio

Arcane
163563561.gif

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Your failure is assuming that the PC is the be-all and end-all of gaming. It isn't. As a piece that covers the entire gaming spectrum, this article is very good, and doubly so because it comes from mainstream media.

And where did I assume that PC is the be-all and end-all of gaming, please point that out, since I commented that I cant judge console games part due my almost non existent experience with it. In my opinion if you separate PC games on that list (I only didnt play Bioforge) they are pretty poor choice, since some of them I dont consider forgotten or some actually worth remembering. There are far better games that could be mentioned like Birthright, Civil War Generals 2, Shadow of the Horned Rat, Warwind, Cyberstorm, Cavewars, Strife, Normality, Powerslave, Quarantine etc. Then again this might just come to my preference since Little Big Adventure and Neverhood were big part of my teen years and I refuse to accept they are forgotten, and Oni was a game that never really impressed me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Your own words. Nowhere in the article, or in the OP, does there appear any bias about the platform of the games. The article names console, PC and home computer titles, and yet it makes no difference between them. It even tries to avoid it by naming the titles alphabetically and it's pretty evenly divided between consoles and PC/home computers, if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it.

And yet you seem to immediately divide the list into console titles and PC games, completely ignoring the third part of home computers, which are also represented in the list. Then you throw in the statement that your console experience is limited, yet comment that this "might be a good forgotten console games article", and also comment that it is a "shitty forgotten PC games article".

That's a clear-looking case of bias to me. I know that personal preferences are personal when it comes to individual titles (and even more so when it's a public "Top XX games" list) but this kinda stuck out for me.

If it makes you feel any better, my console experience starts and ends with the Gameboy in the early 90s.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The epic soundtrack did the thing for me, so I really enjoyed Freedom Fighters.

Indeed, the soundtrack combining orchestra, electronic touches and Russian military-like vocals is fucking mind bending. Jesper Kyd :salute:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Your own words. Nowhere in the article, or in the OP, does there appear any bias about the platform of the games. The article names console, PC and home computer titles, and yet it makes no difference between them. It even tries to avoid it by naming the titles alphabetically and it's pretty evenly divided between consoles and PC/home computers, if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it.

And yet you seem to immediately divide the list into console titles and PC games, completely ignoring the third part of home computers, which are also represented in the list. Then you throw in the statement that your console experience is limited, yet comment that this "might be a good forgotten console games article", and also comment that it is a "shitty forgotten PC games article".

That's a clear-looking case of bias to me. I know that personal preferences are personal when it comes to individual titles (and even more so when it's a public "Top XX games" list) but this kinda stuck out for me.

If it makes you feel any better, my console experience starts and ends with the Gameboy in the early 90s.

I think you see something that isnt there, I dont have any bias toward other platforms and I find it quite baffling how someone could take this "Well this might be good forgotten console games article (dont know myself since only console I owned was Atart 2600) but its shitty forgotten PC games article." and read it how i hate every platform but PC.

I owned C64 for many years but because limited supply and information of games here pretty much every game that bought from pirates was doing it blindly and choosing cool sounding names, so pretty much every C64 game was mystery for me.

Since I cant comment on console games due my very limited experience I decided to focus only on PC games which choice of games I find disappointing.

Again how you read that sentence as "Death to all but PC and everything that isnt PC is console shit" is really really baffling.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I agree on Bioforge, many reviewers splooged over that when it was new. Little Big Adventure also got some love, but not exactly front page coverage.

baturinsky

Arcane
I played through ONI 6 or 7 times. Maybe more. With different difficulties and mods. Very solid game of very underuppreciated genre. Are there more games like it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom