Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

30 Greatest Video Games That Time Forgot (theguardian)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
# That the article not only names Aliens: The Computer Game (and not the strangely named U.S. Aliens) is interesting, and I find it outright amazing that it claims that it is superior to Colonial Marines. But it IS a very fascinating game, if primitive. But the article is spot on about one thing - this game was the scariest video game experience you could get that involved the Xenomorphs for 13 years running. It wasn't until Rebellion's Alien vs Predator in 1999 that a successor could be named. If anyone's interested in giving it a try, there's a nice remake available, with some extra features added.
Probably the scariest game I have ever played.

yellowcake

Arcane
I played through ONI 6 or 7 times. Maybe more. With different difficulties and mods. Very solid game of very underuppreciated genre. Are there more games like it?

I played this one to death too, still do in fact, one of my all time favourites. Never tried any mods though, the vanilla game is perfect. It also has excellent KB/M controls, playing this with a controller is futile (and I suppose makes it a worse game than it is). Level design may appear bland at first because levels are practically empty - not much movables, furniture or decorations, just pure architecture, and a very good too. I've read somehere that buildings in levels were designed by actual architects. Graphics is very crisp too, pure OpenGL stuff from the best period.

I can't think of any other fighting game as good as this than perhaps Severance - BoD.

BTW I presume you tried playing the game with other characters? Much fun to be had.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Freedom Fighters was shit, other than that the list is not too bad. I believe I completed Oni back in the day and got about half way through Sacrifice.
The epic soundtrack did the thing for me, so I really enjoyed Freedom Fighters.

I don't see reasons to hate this game apart from a little bit wonky shooting mechanics. Oh wait, also russkies could probably hate the game, cuz 'Fuck Amurica, we r 2 serious 4 dis, we cannot into laughing at ourselves'.

:salute:

Jesper Kyd made awesome music for FF. The mechanics are simple but they were working and you were feeling like a rebel.. And killing Russians soldiers never get's old. Always loved the TV news lady reporter showing the "truth" :lol:.

Nice article !

Although some titles were pretty mainstream back then, to my knowledge (Bioforge, Little Big Adventure, Interstate 76)

Let's not forget the last good title from Shiny - Sacrifice and Tenchu (PSX only, but nevertheless really good stealth game ). Return Fire had great deathmatch option, playing it on one computer side by side was always fun. And that classical music pieces giving Apocalypse now vibes... Neverhood always was charming, due to it's original graphics style and nice puzzles. I really need to replay it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom