Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

7 Mages - turn-based blobber where you play a party of mages

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.7mages.net

From the Codex inbox:

My name is Jindřich Rohlík and I am producer at Napoleon Games. We are developing a classic dungeon crawler for mobile devices.

Here is official press release:

Assume the role of a mage charged with protecting a village of poor peasants from raids by rogue mages intent on stealing their crops. Pushed to the limit, the peasants pool their last resources and set off to town to hire mages to protect their village. They find you, and your first task is to assemble a company of six other mages to help the poor villagers.

Seven Mages is a grid-based dungeon crawler in the style of Dungeon Master but with a unique turn-based system of combat that allows you to split up your comrades to make the battles more tactical. The mages you control employ various types of powers, including elemental magic, magical maneuvers and unique musical magic.

Seven Mages is designed for mobile devices (iOS and Android). To learn more, please visit www.7mages.net.

Last edited:

btbgfel

Scholar
An ancient proverb says: a mobile phone for business, a pc for pleasure, a PS4 for hating that of anyone else.

Tigranes

Arcane
Is this some Zen game, where to be a mage is to cast no magic whatsoever in the entire trailer

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The thread title is wrong: It is not like Grimrock if it has turn-based combat like the announcement says. More like MMX for phones and tablets.

Jindřich Rohlík

Napoleon Games
Developer
I suppose game designer is always the last one who gets the joke.

As we plan to release informations about the game in upcoming half a year you know actually very little about the game. I can just hope you will change your mind when you see bigger picture. Meantime, here is first gameplay video showing basics of combat system. Be critical I will read it (and answer when possible).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, it doesn't look like Grimrock anymore, so that's good.

Don Peste

Arcane
Art style looks good. The "split the group" gimmick seems interesting enough. Also, since there aren't many decent RPGs on Android/iOS, that could help them to make a name, maybe release later on PC?

Jindřich Rohlík Who translated your Web to Spanish...?

Jindřich Rohlík

Napoleon Games
Developer
Thank you!

As we are developing our game with Unity we plan to prepare PC port later (both Win as well as Mac). Plus we will thing through other platforms supported by Unity 3D.

We use agency for translation. I asked for their CV but they didn't tell me their names. However, we have been told the Spanish is translating games exclusively since 2008. You should find StarCraft II: Wings of liberty, Guild Wars, Plants vs. Zombies and others in his portfolio. Is something wrong with translation?

Morkar Left

Loooks good and the premise is interesting if the magic system is diverse enough!

I don't know if making it only for android/ios is a good idea. Hairbrained schemes, which is a company starting with phone games basically completely abandoned it for pc because the time effort wasn't worth the few sales.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can only feel sorry for people who try to develop ambitious games for mobile devices, which is the worst possible market for that (especially Android).

Well, good luck, and I hope you can survive up until making the PC port, which may actually bring you some money.

Don Peste

Arcane
We use agency for translation. I asked for their CV but they didn't tell me their names. However, we have been told the Spanish is translating games exclusively since 2008. You should find StarCraft II: Wings of liberty, Guild Wars, Plants vs. Zombies and others in his portfolio. Is something wrong with translation?
Nah, it's ok. I thought I saw a two or three odd words, but they can be considered to be correct (e.g. 'Grime' is not a very common name ;) and 'TBA' should be 'Próximamente', but that's probably too long).

da_rays

Augur
Look very interesting, haven't seen anything like this on mobile platform ( that ''complex'' ) . A blobber in which I can split my party tactically in combat? Yes...yes that's very good. Will it be like an open world to explore? Mostly centered about combat? Or maybe with some lores , crafting , C&C , some factions to gain fame/notoriety and so on. I would be very curious to hear what you are aiming in your game beside the combat you showed us ( which look good )

Jindřich Rohlík

Napoleon Games
Developer
Look very interesting, haven't seen anything like this on mobile platform ( that ''complex'' ) . A blobber in which I can split my party tactically in combat? Yes...yes that's very good. Will it be like an open world to explore? Mostly centered about combat? Or maybe with some lores , crafting , C&C , some factions to gain fame/notoriety and so on. I would be very curious to hear what you are aiming in your game beside the combat you showed us ( which look good )

You can also split up your party outside combats (sometimes you need to do it to solve puzzles). For example in the crypt you can find elevator you can control just outside elevator. Controlling mechanisms are on both the upper floor as well as the lower one.

This is also answer to your question. In each level you need to solve some puzzles. While some are rather classic (such as weight platform to open bars) the others are more unique... you need to change for example wind streaming with winter guardians (huge statues) in cold mountains.

We have about fourteen levels, each with their own graphics. Beside levels you can see on screenshots (the town, the crypt under town, the forest surrounding the town, the slavery ship and the swamp) you also visit mountains that i already mention, hot insides of huge dead dragon, you go under sea and much more.

We plan to discover other features in next months. If you are interested in the game, please keep watching our page (7mages.net).

We are really working hard to develop good game for you. I can understand lots of people don't like mobiles (and I can also understand why) but I must insist it is perfect platform for gaming. It is just too many free2play (or better to say play2win) games destroying its reputation. What reminds me - Seven Mages will be premium. You will have few levels for free and then you can unlock rest of levels and lay it without limitation (you can also play it offline).

Just one more thing... even if we are eternally grateful to creators of Legend of Grimrock as they opened the door we have thought to be closed forever, we are not developing another Grimrock. We are not even new in this. We developed dungeon crawler twenty years ago (http://www.napoleongames.cz/?p=13 - quite famous in Czech Republic) we were just not able to find publisher. Now (with digital distribution) we do not have to rely on any publisher's testimonial and we can simply bring our game to you directly.

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
I love blobbers, but I don't even have a mobile that could run that thing.

But port it to PC, and I would be interested to buy it.

Sorry that's not what you want to hear, since you seem pretty adamant on keeping it mobile-only..

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
There's a first time for everything, even for crappy mobile market to release a valid product once in a blue moon. Many of the things you write here are interesting, just try to understand how jaded and disillusioned the average codexer consumer is today. Still I'm personally only interested in a PC port...
I wish you luck!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom