Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

7 Mages - turn-based blobber where you play a party of mages

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Infinitron

what does 'codex curatation\ mean?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Infinitron

you know where i'm going with this don't you. there's a very important crpg missing there (well several) but the one that most needs to be on there and get codex representation is elminage: gothic.

also putting paper sorcerer in there wouldn't hurt.

also why is shit like witcher 3 in there? ugh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron

you know where i'm going with this don't you. there's a very important crpg missing there (well several) but the one that most needs to be on there and get codex representation is elminage: gothic.

also putting paper sorcerer in there wouldn't hurt.

also why is shit like witcher 3 in there? ugh.

Those two games are both there. Scroll down. Or just look at their Steam pages...

Nyast

Cipher
That game suffers from horrible translations/narrative. No, really, it is atrociously bad. Example with the ship:

So there's a mage that you have to look for on a ship, you talk to the sailor and pay 250 gold to board as passengers on that ship. Next thing you know, you're inside the ship and your party has been split up. Doors to your rooms are closed. Why, how ? Not a word of it. You have to open your journal to find out that it's a slave ship and you've been emprisonned. Yeah, good luck guessing that if you didn't check the journal. But now it goes from bad to worse: you still have all your weapons and items with you. Who the fuck emprisons two people separately but leaves them with their weapons ? No, really, there's no excuse for that one. It's beyond bad writing.

By the way, translations or not, humor in this game is.. special. It feels like it was writen by a 12-years-old kid. With a bad sense of humor.

You really need to be a blobber fan and prioritize gameplay to excuse these things.

mastroego

Arcane
Low budget gets a pass, sloppy work and carelessness don't.
(imho)
Thanks for the heads up.

V_K

Arcane
When you have, like, one dialog per two levels it's not that hard to overlook. It's been extensively discussed in the other thread.
Would the game benefit from a good editor? Absolutely. Does it break it? Not by a long shot, unless you're a complete storyfag. In which case you shouldn't play it anyway.

mastroego

Arcane
It's not about being a storyfag, it's about things being done properly, or, rather, with a tiny bit of love for a job decently done.
If it's one dialog every two levels, all the more reason to get it right.

What, one works for months to deliver a (low budget) title and can't put together/translate two periods of proper text?

Ok, I don't mean to be too harsh, but these are mistakes that are maybe acceptable for a mod.
This is my take/suggestion to the authors anyway.

mastroego

Arcane
Ever heard about polish?
Some people react to the lack of it. Again, it betrays sloppiness.
Matter of sensibility, if you will.
Still, a developer should know that lack of polish is an issue: you for one may forgive it, but many won't, and if one wants to sell his product...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
So there's a mage that you have to look for on a ship, you talk to the sailor and pay 250 gold to board as passengers on that ship. Next thing you know, you're inside the ship and your party has been split up. Doors to your rooms are closed. Why, how ? Not a word of it. You have to open your journal to find out that it's a slave ship and you've been emprisonned. Yeah, good luck guessing that if you didn't check the journal. But now it goes from bad to worse: you still have all your weapons and items with you. Who the fuck emprisons two people separately but leaves them with their weapons ? No, really, there's no excuse for that one. It's beyond bad writing.

V_K

is that above quoted example accurate? because that is very bad design.

V_K

Arcane
I though we've already agreed to disagree on what constitutes bad design?
It's a fun level with a fun twist (having your party work together from different parts of the ship), who cares if the premise is written in a journal instead of dialog?
And seriously, a fan of this:
IMG%5D
has no right whatsoever to criticize NPC interactions in any game.

V_K

Arcane
Ever heard about polish?
Some people react to the lack of it. Again, it betrays sloppiness.
Matter of sensibility, if you will.
Still, a developer should know that lack of polish is an issue: you for one may forgive it, but many won't, and if one wants to sell his product...
If "some people" would choose a polished turd over a rough diamond, there's no hope for them anyway.

mastroego

Arcane
Why should I choose between two different kinds of screwed-up products?

I don't want a polished turd, nor a gem in the rough. Granted, the latter might still be salvaged... but that's still abstract potential rather than reality.
If you ask for money, you should put a product on the table that's ready to be sold, or show willingness to get there eventually (at least - the sad state of digital retail).

Texts like that don't really give a lot of reasons to hope in a future, properly presented version of the game.
The developers appear to consider such sloppy work "fine enough".

you don't just give out 10/10s like that. translation fix doesn't solve missing narration and/or missing conversations.
the game features virtually no loot at this point. you get some 10 magical staffs of the exact same kind in one area and some 10 sledgehammers in another. almost no armor at all. haven't seen any uniques so far. so itemization is also definitely a problem.
the game also features no lore, no item descriptions for a lot of items.

drag and drop on mobile along with fucking long loading times don't make it a good example of an android game. and yes, i am aware there are no good examples of android games. i'm just saying this one also doesn't cut it.
7Th Dawn 1 and 2 are pretty good.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Is this a real crpg blobber in the vein of Wiz8 and MMX? Or is it a fake contentless game like Grimlock? Can I create the 7 mages myself or am I inflected with the developer's creations?

V_K

Arcane
Is this a real crpg blobber in the vein of Wiz8 and MMX? Or is it a fake contentless game like Grimlock?
Remind me, what do you understand by content exactly?
I'd say 7M is halfway between M&M and LoG - it has a story and some (badly written) NPCs, but no sidequests. Most of the game is spent solving puzzles and fighting.

Can I create the 7 mages myself or am I inflected with the developer's creations?
You create one character, others have to be found (it's actually the first half of main quest).
You can develop the party members any way you want, though, so it's not hard to respec them.

V_K

Arcane
I don't speak fluent Czech
But you can edit someone else's translation to make it sound better.

Although they said in another thread that they're also hiring two new professional translators, hopefully those will turn out actual professionals.
Also, we're apparently the only ones who bitch about the tranlation. Go figure.

mastroego

Arcane
They will thank us one day.
Though I'm not sure it's entirely a translation issue tbh.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Is this a real crpg blobber in the vein of Wiz8 and MMX? Or is it a fake contentless game like Grimlock?
Remind me, what do you understand by content exactly?
I'd say 7M is halfway between M&M and LoG - it has a story and some (badly written) NPCs, but no sidequests. Most of the game is spent solving puzzles and fighting.

Can I create the 7 mages myself or am I inflected with the developer's creations?
You create one character, others have to be found (it's actually the first half of main quest).
You can develop the party members any way you want, though, so it's not hard to respec them.

Is it like M&M and Wizardry in that it has towns with shops and npcs to interact with or is the only content of the game more dungeon? Being able to create 1 character is better than Ishar or LoL, but I like my crpgs to be more crpgish.

V_K

Arcane
There is one central town with lots of services, some of which double as NPCs. NPC interactions are closer to M&Ms than later Wizardries, i.e. not very deep.
A lot of the areas aren't technically dungeons (swamps, forests, mountains etc.), but functionally they are (think Wiz7).

Roqua

Prospernaut
There is one central town with lots of services, some of which double as NPCs. NPC interactions are closer to M&Ms than later Wizardries, i.e. not very deep.
A lot of the areas aren't technically dungeons (swamps, forests, mountains etc.), but functionally they are (think Wiz7).

Thank you for the information; it is greatly appreciated. Last question - if I love MMX and Wiz6-8, etc, but dislike Grimlock and games like that, is this a game I would like in your opinion?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom