Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Myth 3: The Wolf Age

Well, look what finally decided to work. Actually, it didn't just "decided" to work, I had to go through hell in loincloth and a dagger to make this shit work. In matter of fact, I had to go through hell to make ANYTHING work. Well, but this is not a place for software rant so I will only say this: Microsoft, AMD/Intel Switchable abomination, Samsung and Windows 8 broken updates...

Whatever, here it is:

-----------------
Intro (here)
Mission 1: Defense of Yursgrad
Mission 2: The Nest
Mission 3: Journey to Llancarfan
Mission 4: The Pack-Mage
Mission 5: Flight from the Dark
Mission 6: The Forgotten Lands
Mission 7: The Crypt of Mazzarin
Mission 8: Battle to Myrgard
Mission 9: The Gates of Myrgard
Mission 10: Imprisonment
Mission 11: The Eye of Thalor
Mission 12: The Siege of Llancarfan
Mission 13: Rod of Callieach
-----------------

1.jpg

It's not in widescreen though, and won't be. Myth 3 does not support 1366x768 even with community patches so there is nothing I can do about it.

2.jpg

But it's going to be on "Legendary", because I'm fucking stupid. I never said that Myth 1 and 2 were easy games, unfortunately Myth 3 is simply fucking broken when it comes to difficulty. Legend says that it was never even play tested before release so difficulty ranges from piss easy to impossible unless lucky. And first two mission are the second case...

Last edited:
Mission 1: Defense of Yursgrad

1.jpg

I doubt you will be able to read this so you are better off just watching video on youtube.

2.jpg

First mission and we already have to fight Myrkridia. Well, it does make sense since they are quite a big deal during... Connacht age, I'm not sure about name of current age. It's not Wolf age because we are about to just bring it...

3.jpg

If we will be able to even survive first mission...

4.jpg

1.jpg

Say hello to Connacht the Barbarian. He is absolutely crucial to the plot of this game so we cannot have him die. I haven't played this game in years but I do remember that it likes to throw quite a lot of "plot sensitive characters" on you. Also, I remember that units we have here now will disappear from our roster very quick so I won't name them after codexers.

2.jpg

Good old 'zerks. But they wield axes instead of huge-ass swords, for some reason.

3.jpg

And "Hearth Guard" who are absolutely fucking useless. They are basically very slow bowmen with very short range. Not much help against Myrkridia, fortunately they will dissapear forever very soon.

4.jpg

And we have some villagers which we CAN control and we don't have to save them all. They are basically meat shields. And of course, there are...

5.jpg

... Yeah, the least scary "nightmarish creatures" I ever saw in my life. I may be biased, but I THINK that Myth 2 sprites aged better than Myth 3 glorious 3d models...

6.jpg

Wolf Age also brought another feature to Myth series - you can't do anything while the game is paused and minimal speed is only 1/2. So, you are either fast, or fucked.

7.jpg

I'm fast enough to put our men into some sort of formation, but not fast enough to save Sigibald the villagers. He is fucked.

8.jpg

We are completely surrounded (look at the minimap, yes those are all Myrkridia) but we have to focus on one group at the time. I ordered our Hearth Guard to throw their javelins.

9.jpg

And now 'zerks (and Connacht) have to charge. One 'zerk basically died upon contact with Myrkridia. That's bad sign for us.

10.jpg

The rest is not doing that bad though. Unfortunately they are not getting any support from Hearth Guard because last thing we need now is friendly fire.

11.jpg

We are done with one group, now we have to join our forces and keep fighting.

1.jpg

I said we don't have to save all the villagers but we still have to save SOME of them. I told everyone to abandon village center and group up.

2.jpg

'zerks are taking care of lone Myrkridia bastards who decided to sneakily nom on our villagers.

3.jpg

Large group just showed up. We could take on them (Connacht gives huge bonuses to all nearby units) but there is at least two more such group and we can't leave our villagers without protection.

4.jpg

Ok, there is only ONE way we can do this. We have to cheese the shit out of the fact that Connacht is faster than Myrkridia...

5.jpg

6.jpg

While Connacht is busy kiting army of darkness, rest of our force will have to deal with unexpected Myrkridia flank force.

7.jpg

It doesn't look pretty but you have to remember that AI in Myth 3 works like in two other games - we will have a lot of free shots on Myrkridia since they really want to nom our villagers and will ignore 'zerks for some time.

8.jpg

Meanwhile, Mr Kite is running around like a headless chicken.

9.jpg

Not many people survived fight with surprise Myrkridia flanking force. Fortunately some Hearth Guards are still alive and I hope they will be able to shoot myrkridia while they chase Mr. Kite around.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Another large group. Well, git 'em connacht!

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

... Now we have to herd those fuckers close enough for Hearth Guard to shoot them, but not close enough to make Myrkridia switch their target... YES, this is retarded and NO, I can't think of any other way of doing this mission on Legendary.

1.jpg

Oh, more Myrkridia, goddamn you MumboJumbo!

2.jpg

Hearth Guard are not doing too much damage but all they have to do is drop one Myrkridia to red health bar, they go berserker then, like they did in Myth 2. Mad Myrkridia can easily kill 2 or 3 other Myrkridia since they all target Connacht and ignore everything around them.

3.jpg

Shit went very wrong here. I herded Myrks way too close and some of them decided to attack our javelin squad. Fortunately AI here is as retarded as in other Myth games, So Myrkridia could not decided if they want to kill Harth Guard or continue chasing Connacht, this let us easily kill couple of them.

4.jpg

5.jpg

And it saved our asses. We killed enough of them and Myrkridia are retreating!

6.jpg

- Wooo! SPRING BREAK!

7.jpg

Scary thing is, this mission is NOTHING compared to next one...

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good stuff. You are a masochist for playing it on Legendary. Good luck.

And I'm pretty sure the period it takes place in is called the Wind Age. At least according to the narration from the first couple games.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Hell yes, another Myth LP. I can't wait until the Iron Warriors show up, it's the best part of the game
:troll:

Dear Diary,

Today is a great day. Also it is second day of me trying to beat The Nest level on Legendary difficulty. It is magical adventure but I'm getting worried that my anus started bleeding. I will try to beat this level some more and then I will write about it.

With love, Ivar

Did the "awesomeness" of Myth 3 beat you, Mister Ivar?

Kinda. I failed to beat this sunnova bitch of a level for two days straight but I'm going to continue trying (or just lower difficulty for this level) soon. I'm hoping to start spamming updates after this weekend.

flabbyjack

Arcane
This thread is on my favorites list

Thankfully, we have the OP's Myth 1 LP and Myth 2 LP to keep us busy. I have ready both before, but what the hell why not read them again, amirite?

:drink:
(I approve of taking breaks from LPs)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom