Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

99' from point of view of Polish mag CD-Action. From era where 1 month was better than last 10 years

CDA had only few competent writers, don't even compare it to Wicik/Gulash/Martinez/Berger/Krupik/Banana Split/Micz Squad.

Perkel

Arcane
CDA had only few competent writers, don't even compare it to Wicik/Gulash/Martinez/Berger/Krupik/Banana Split/Micz Squad.

No one claims they were best. Point of this op ed is to show how landscape of gaming changed compared to now.

2017 begins and i don't know what even good games will be in 2017 to play where in 99 in january i would be asking myself how the fuck i will get money to pay pirates so much money (5$ per game).

I have high hopes for new Torment, maybe Bannerlord 2, maybe monster hunter in hd... I really need to focus to find games that might be good this year.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

No one claims they were best. Point of this op ed is to show how landscape of gaming changed compared to now.

2017 begins and i don't know what even good games will be in 2017 to play where in 99 in january i would be asking myself how the fuck i will get money to pay pirates so much money (5$ per game).

I have high hopes for new Torment, maybe Bannerlord 2, maybe monster hunter in hd... I really need to focus to find games that might be good this year.

The only good games this year will be Bannerlord, Persona 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2

Perkel

Arcane

The only good games this year will be Bannerlord, Persona 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2

Assuming Bannerlord even will be released this decade...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
:necro:

nothing new with CDA?
speaking about old games - yeah it was a problem to get these $5 back then...only later to realize a lot of them were shit'n'overrated (CDA hard on for 10/10 for all Beth games after Morrowind release (they gave it 8 or 9/10). Even though you need few people for max note they still waste it on shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
dG4qbyo.jpg

It's only now that I notice this and wonder how the fuck Akratus got famous enough to be on the cover of a magazine...

rado907

Savant
Man... The memories... They really made good games back then. The whole period 1997-2003 was insane.

At least the current period is better than 2005-2010...

Btw what happened with Myth? I beat Myth3 and Myth2 two years ago, and Myth2 was as good as ever, easily one of the best games in history. Wish someone made more Myth games.

Perkel

Arcane
They made small game called Halo and from that point they never considered releasing another Myth.

Wat, krupik was like a herald of decline in potato gaming journalism.

Explain plz, I remember her reviews as being full of passion for adventure games. They're professional but not in a modern 'gaeming journalism' manner, with zero bullshit and with that 'from players to players' feeling that can be found today only on hardcore fansites/forums.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I remember when CDA decided to all collectively give a mediocre Monsters Inc. cash-in game a 10/10 (a single reviewer can only call a vote to give a game a 10, at least two other reviewers have to agree) solely because they genuinely thought that the in-game cutscenes that were only rips from the movie are a genuine revolution in graphics.

The game itself was something like an okayish Banjo Kazooie or something, nothing to really write home about.

Then they published an errata a month later that they're sorry for fucking that up and that, given some deliberation, they'd really only give the game a 6+.

:popamole:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Not sure why everyone quotes this pointless game when stating how clueless cda was. They wrote utterly moronic shit about way more important games. My favourite example: JA2 and reviewer mentioning that email about creating your own merc is a "spam" that "should be ignored".

Re krupik - afair she was the first in potato to turn parts or even whole reviews into teenage level fanfic short stories (even her guides in one of the Kompendium Wiedzy were written like that), which is literally the cancer of gaming journalism. You could also read on how she antagonised a lot of people and was one of the reasons SS turned to shit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Not sure why everyone quotes this pointless game when stating how clueless cda was. They wrote utterly moronic shit about way more important games. My favourite example: JA2 and reviewer mentioning that email about creating your own merc is a "spam" that "should be ignored".

Let us also not forget King of Dragon Pass getting 1/10, and the "review" essentially being "lol them graphics suxxxxx!" somehow spread over a full page and absolutely nothing else.

I RAGED when collective CDA hivemind announced Unreal best thing ever and there was lots of mocking against Quake 2. Reality showed that Unreal was just a tech-demo that became irrelevant just after release day and Quake 2 became fucking masterpiece for all eternity.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Another thing I remember from way back when was that weird "CDA Quality Game Emblem" or "Recommended by CDA".

In a single issue there were reviews of LEGO Racers (a pretty fun kart game with customizable karts, though lacking multiplayer beyond 2 players and somewhat repetitive in its "campaign mode") that got a 9/10 and Colin McRae 2 got an 8+/10 and this shit:
CDA-POLECA-znak-jakosci-420x280.jpg

Back then I couldn't figure out what this is supposed to mean. Does LEGO Racers not deserve that same distinction? But then why have a grading system at all? That Racers was a game that only Czarny Iwan, the resident manchild of the magazine liked and McRae 2 had a wider appeal, or whatever the fuck?

:philosoraptor:

Because CDA just somehow has a story with being clueless with shit games that aren't relevant.

Like, CDA are the only people in the world that liked Bad Day L.A. because 1) it was made by American McGee and 2) because they were going against form when everyone in the west thought it was utter shit (because it was) while CDA only liked sticking it to the big man in America. When it was literally Family Guy: The (Clunky, Pointless) Game.

And then, a very short time later, they added that as a full game to their magazine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom