Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Long Road Home - AVAILABLE ON STEAM - ME NEED FOOD - GO BUY IT!

Would you give J_C's adventure game a go?

• LOL, yeah, like he will ever finish it!

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Don't care and won't try it! Fuck you J_C!

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Even his game deserves a chance, I will try it if it's released.

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Thanks, wanted to post it myself, but you beat me to it.

I like being the one who posts official information before developers.

:troll:

edit: Oh, and congrats and good luck on the release, man.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I'm curious about the sales figures, if there are any at all. Not throwing shit at your game tho -- some of my friends released their games recently (as in last year) and kept complaining about poor sales. Also itch seems like a smaller platform, so I have no idea about the average sales figures of any game released there.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm curious about the sales figures, if there are any at all. Not throwing shit at your game tho -- some of my friends released their games recently (as in last year) and kept complaining about poor sales. Also itch seems like a smaller platform, so I have no idea about the average sales figures of any game released there.
I'm not getting my hopes up, RPG Maker games have a bad rep on Steam. But on the plus side, I got featured in a bundle a month ago, and it brought back the minimal development cost of the game already. I sold a handful of copies on itch.io as well (and I literally mean handful), so everything I sell on steam is pure profit. And anyway this is just a first step project for me, a learning experience. We'll see, I will update you guys about it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My biggest entertainment today was reading the emails I got from russian "let's players" from youtube and twitch players. Somehow they want at least 3-4 steam keys and they will make a great video on youtube about my game. Oh please, they weren't even trying. They linked other famous youtuber's accounts as a reference, but they haven't even sent their emails from those youtubers' email accounts. They don't even know how to scam people.

As for the game, the free demo will go live tomorrow, followed by the Steam release of the full game on Tuesday.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
My biggest entertainment today was reading the emails I got from russian "let's players" from youtube and twitch players. Somehow they want at least 3-4 steam keys and they will make a great video on youtube about my game. Oh please, they weren't even trying. They linked other famous youtuber's accounts as a reference, but they haven't even sent their emails from those youtubers' email accounts. They don't even know how to scam people.

As for the game, the free demo will go live tomorrow, followed by the Steam release of the full game on Tuesday.

We get those YouTube scammers begging for keys on our FREE game. Most keys end up on resale sites, or just given to their friends.
I will say that our second largest support base is Russian - so while a lot of piracy happens there, they do have the numbers to support an adventure game.

Mustawd

J_C , there's something wrong with the video on Steam. It's not working for me.

EDIT: Videos for other games are loading fine.

EDIT2: Seems to be working fine now.

Last edited by a moderator:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
They let any idiot onto Steam nowadays eh?
Definitely.

J_C , there's something wrong with the video on Steam. It's not working for me.

EDIT: Videos for other games are loading fine.

EDIT2: Seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for the feedback. The video broke for whatever reasons on the Store page, so I reuploaded it.

We get those YouTube scammers begging for keys on our FREE game. Most keys end up on resale sites, or just given to their friends.
I will say that our second largest support base is Russian - so while a lot of piracy happens there, they do have the numbers to support an adventure game.
It is insane. It seems they are flooded to every new release on steam.

How did you handle the legit, but smaller youtubers by the way? I got requests youtubers with a few hundred subscribers, who ask for a key. Do you give them a key, or you think that it is a wasted copy to give it to such a small fish?

Oh, and do you use keymailer by any chance? It seems like a cool site to handle these youtube requests.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Hello guys!

Most of you probably have seen it by now, but I would like to make an official Codex announcement, that A Long Road Home is available on Steam right now. Thanks for the feedback and the kind words (yeah, right :D ). I think creating this game was a great experience, and I hope I can use this experience to make my next game even better. Now give me your moneyz!

Mustawd

Thank you for your purchase!
An email confirmation has been sent to you.

I look forward to giving this a negative review playing through this. Thanks!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Any digital items in this order are now registered to your account on Steam. To access your items, simply visit your library in Steam whenever you're ready.

will stew in my backlog and probably will be played in 2057 thanks

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Any digital items in this order are now registered to your account on Steam. To access your items, simply visit your library in Steam whenever you're ready.

will stew in my backlog and probably will be played in 2057 thanks
Thanks. :)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
schafer_2.png

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
It is insane. It seems they are flooded to every new release on steam.

How did you handle the legit, but smaller youtubers by the way? I got requests youtubers with a few hundred subscribers, who ask for a key. Do you give them a key, or you think that it is a wasted copy to give it to such a small fish?

Oh, and do you use keymailer by any chance? It seems like a cool site to handle these youtube requests.

Set up a YouTube account and request them to send a mail to your YouTube account from theirs if you're concerned about it being legit. In terms of giving away keys we are pretty free with keys to LetsPlayers. Its a really good way to get your name and game out there, and a lot of the LetsPlayers feed off of each other. If someone searches for your game and a LetsPlay or two show up its a good thing and adds some legitimacy to your product, even if its from a small dude. Plus - small people have to start somewhere! You're all in the same boat. :D

We just have a spreadsheet and copy and paste out of it from our main studio account. We also have a mailing list that gets updated on MailChimp with LetsPlayers. We sent out a big blast for Cayne with all of the mailing addresses from our Stasis one.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
We also have a mailing list that gets updated on MailChimp with LetsPlayers. We sent out a big blast for Cayne with all of the mailing addresses from our Stasis one.
I want to set up a Mailchimp account myself, it seems like a good service to notify youtubers/press people. Do you just add people who you had contact with to the list automatically, or you ask them if it is OK to send them emails about future updates and projects?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
We also have a mailing list that gets updated on MailChimp with LetsPlayers. We sent out a big blast for Cayne with all of the mailing addresses from our Stasis one.
I want to set up a Mailchimp account myself, it seems like a good service to notify youtubers/press people. Do you just add people who you had contact with to the list automatically, or you ask them if it is OK to send them emails about future updates and projects?

We have two - one is a subscirber list that people manually subscribe to, and the other is a press list that we either add to if someone emails us, or we manually scour the net for email addresses and add them.
When we were trying to get people to notice Stasis my sister spent a few weeks finding the names and addresses of reviewers who had either reviewed adventure games or horror games and started to build our list like that. The press are used to people emailing them, and as long as you dont spam them with shit they dont really mind being emailed. I think the trick is to write out the email to them without trying to sound like a AAA company press release. You are a small developer - thats an advantage!

Mustawd

Hey J_C , I played a bit this morning before work. So far it's a nice little game, and I can tell you put some effort into it. I'm not very far into it, but so far it looks like a legit game instead of some half ass attempt with RPGmaker.

6xSKVUi.png

Anyhow, saw some weird English issues that I thought I'd bring up in case you didn't catch them.

9YPiHCK.png

I think "Enough lying around" or "Enough of lying around" (both work) would probably fit better here. The guy just recovered form injuries, so I would think he feels restless more than lazy.

UT0qBiq.png

I think "the village is basically locked down" is the saying you're looking for here.

GR8x1OR.png

The first line should probably say, "What can you tell me about Dr. Raisin?" The fourth line should probably be, "I think I'll go and take a look around".

ily6ERp.png

"I think a walk in the village" or "I think a walk around the village" probably works better than "some walk".

8kFgqIi.png

Should be "4 bottles". And I don't think "sliced to pieces" is necessary, as "sliced" probably already says enough that it's in pieces. But that's less of a big deal.

Anyway, I'll see if I can finish this game tonight after work. Should be a nice little break from the other game I've been playing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Hey J_C , I played a bit this morning before work. So far it's a nice little game, and I can tell you put some effort into it. I'm not very far into it, but so far it looks like a legit game instead of some half ass attempt with RPGmaker.

6xSKVUi.png

Anyhow, saw some weird English issues that I thought I'd bring up in case you didn't catch them.

9YPiHCK.png

I think "Enough lying around" or "Enough of lying around" (both work) would probably fit better here. The guy just recovered form injuries, so I would think he feels restless more than lazy.

UT0qBiq.png

I think "the village is basically locked down" is the saying you're looking for here.

GR8x1OR.png

The first line should probably say, "What can you tell me about Dr. Raisin?" The fourth line should probably be, "I think I'll go and take a look around".

ily6ERp.png

"I think a walk in the village" or "I think a walk around the village" probably works better than "some walk".

8kFgqIi.png

Should be "4 bottles". And I don't think "sliced to pieces" is necessary, as "sliced" probably already says enough that it's in pieces. But that's less of a big deal.

Anyway, I'll see if I can finish this game tonight after work. Should be a nice little break from the other game I've been playing.
Thank you very much bro. I feared that I left some typos or grammatical errors in the text. I did my best to get a proofreader, but they asked too much money (there are quite a lot of text in there), so I had to rely on myself. I will fix these in a future update.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Mustawd, you have been accepted to review this for the Codex. Should you complete your mission, you will be released from Shillary prison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom