Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"A Pixel Artist Renounces Pixel Art"

Ninjerk

Arcane
Pretty bold snark regarding Diablo.

zeitgeist

Magister
It's interesting how, although his technical and theoretical explanations are at a glance completely sound (and are in fact things that I've often commented on myself, especially regarding constraints leading to techniques, animations created by people who don't understand line of action and volumes, faux-lowres games being presented in multiple pixel resolutions at once etc.), he's still capable of making the mental leaps necessary for him to twist it all into a "my art is totally like all the examples of great pixel art I've shown so far, and the only possible reason why no one likes it is because no one likes pixel art anymore" complaint.

Without that part, this would actually be a pretty informative article showcasing perfectly legitimate issues.

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He makes some good points, I can believe there are people out there who think a game is automatically bad/old/ugly when it uses "pixel art" as a style, he's right that filters and smoothening pixels just makes it look blurry, but mostly I'm getting a strong "muh superior retro pixel art graphics" vibe. Nobody cares how much work you put into it if it looks bad, pixel art has no inherent superiority over other styles, you fetishists. People love bringing up how great some games looked, but forget how much ugly shit was produced too. No, scratch that, how much ugly shit with "pixel art" is produced to this day, best example - his game. I don't get the comparison between FF tactics and Diablo as some sort of victory for pixel art either, it's apples and oranges.

Cadmus

Arcane
lolol fuck the pixel art, who gives a shit, fucking hipster retard.
of course people are complaining his shit game is pixelated, because it's a shit style with shit results 99% of the time. There's no need for it ever in anything ever. If you want good colours, you don't need to limit yourself to some arbitrary rules, you use good colours. The article was pretty informative though, I didn't think these fucktards put even as much thought into their work.

Rofl at the fucking black and white zelda picture, it's fucking shit, zelda is fucking shit and the art style is deplorable, disgusting and shit in every zelda fuckery game I've seen.

I applaud this gentleman for finally realizing that when you have to explain to your customers that your shit game is deliberately shit and they still don't like it, it's time to move on.

About the comparison to TB RPGs, it's not the fucking same at all. Pixel art serves no fucking purpose while turn based combat does. Why the fuck would you even mention in it here?

baturinsky

Arcane
I'm ok with pixel art, but I HATE when it's pixels in one place and non-pixels in another. Or pixels with a "smoothing" filter. Dungeons of Dredmor is an example of both.
pz80gtkq.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom