Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A PnP game I invented from using only a basic Monster Manual

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Sometimes life does not always permit one to be playing PnP in the company of others. [sad face]

Sometimes one chooses to have a bit of life without the burden of others. [happy face]

Sometimes one is aflush with people clamouring for some monster bashing action. [managerial face]

So when I was younger I invented a PnP game to suit all scenarios. Cunning huh.

Alas, all I had at my disposal was one awesome monster manual which contained within a very basic set of rules for dice based combat:

20170323_193431_zpsq9br8tkh.jpg

20170323_194024_zpsugj1uuu3.jpg

20170323_194637_zpsbscrjmgz.jpg

Not to worry, a bit of imagination never hurt no-one. So I set about creating a world:

20170323_194809_zpsj30cap0v.jpg

20170323_195520_zpsbfcotxgn.jpg

And establishing my own rules:

20170323_200029_zpsfff0lxge.jpg

So all that was left was to put a large party together through the power of random dice:

20170323_200303_zpsohkqmltl.jpg

And then the game can begin:

20170323_200359_zpskx7j3gsa.jpg

I guess you could call it a pen and paper roguelike as there was no grand objective other than to see how long you're possy can survive but, obviously, should you take command of the capital's castle then I think one could call that "job done".

You'll notice from the map picture that four mighty possies marched forth into this map and not one of them got very far. Such is the nature of random and the unfortunate circumstance of getting that particularly nasty beastie just when you weren't ready for it. Those lower levels, man, always the hardest. Well, I guess the game is made harder by the problem of there being no level-ups, no itemisation (other than consumables and spell scrolls) and no mysterious dungeon master listening to all your innate bullshit, all there is is the harsh and unforgiving nature of dice rolls.

And it is on this day, the 24th March 2017 that I reveal this magical and epic game of monster carnage that was created by me in the hallowed days of ages past, somewhere lost in memory, a memory that could give a vague approximation of sometime more than two or three decades ago as to its date of conception. On this day, the day that Battle Brothers is released to the wider world.

:salute:

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
Fuck. Always liked this kind of shit.

I too have a couple of notebook at me home town full of drawings of games, levels, and characters. Played a lot with friends and of course, I had some solo games that were damn satisfying playing them by myself (autism detected).

Andhaira

Arcane
Haha, is that monster manual 'Out of the Pit' for Advanced FF RPG? (originally Fighting Fantasy RPG)?

What a coincidence, the entire set (including Beyond the Pit) is up on bundle of holding ( bundleofholding.com )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom