Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Small Discussion

cardtrick

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Hey, I did an interview a short while ago.

You did. And you asked reasonable questions. I don't feel like it was your fault, but the interview fell flat for me -- it was just more of the same we keep hearing from the Afterfall devs, so there wasn't much to say about the interview beyond "I'll believe it when I see it."

JarlFrank said:
Would also be good if some new RPGs were released, so we can review them.

There's still no Eschalon review. Also, weren't you or one of the other content posters planning on doing a series of "Forgotten Gems" reviews? That could be really useful.

JarlFrank said:
Personally I don't mind the hivemind to be a bit seperated in some opinions... makes for a bit more variety.

Me neither, really, except when one the argument is clearly stupid and both sides drag it out ad nauseum with vitriolic, hyperbolic attacks that just make everyone involved annoying. I choose to believe that this is a result of boredom. Especially recently, it's seemed like otherwise intelligent posters simply have nothing to discuss so they compensate by discussing what little there is harder.

JarlFrank said:
There aren't many RPGs I'm looking forward to right now, or even RPGs that I know about being in development.

This is why it would be nice to have VD back in charge. His desire to "make something" of the Codex could help here. If there aren't many RPGs to look forward to, then we should be focusing on something to give us an identity, as others have suggested. We could post news and content relating primarily to the indie scene, for example, or focus more on "old school" RPGs and do a lot of retrospectives. Reviews of abandonware games, maybe track down some of the old designers for interviews, that kind of thing.

Note that all of the above wasn't meant at all as an attack on you, JarlFrank. You just posted right before I started this, so I decided to use your post to frame my general comments.

Anyway, the forums have been pretty lame lately, but I do think the content and news have been under par as well. It's no one's fault (God knows my own The Witcher review was no better), and I can tell everyone's trying, but while the news posts have been fairly frequent they're just kind of boring. I miss VD's wit. The only content piece I've really appreciated lately was Section8's Year in Review, which was great.

I agree that the Codex is directionless at the moment. There's no one really at the helm guiding it, which is unfortunate. The official content lacks the bite it used to have, but hasn't replaced that with any kind of insight or other redeeming value; the forums are kind of a waste except for the Let's Play threads; and a great many of the posters are deeply annoying (I liked The Witcher too, guys, but can you stop fucking defending it every time someone so much as glances in its direction?).

Well, sorry for the rant. Probably things will get back to good in time, or maybe this is all just nostalgia warping my perspective. On topic: I don't see much harm in letting Nicolai and Pooper back in, unless a more hardcore general ban and moderation policy like Vince was proposing is implemented. Otherwise, what's the point? Nicolai at least was often pretty funny even if he was an asshole.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks for reminding me of the Forgotten Gems thing, cardtrick. I'm in retrogaming mood right now anyways, so when I find a good old game to review I might get on it.

I might also start some RPG theory discussion threads in RPG General, as I got quite some ideas roaming through my brains again considering RPGs. I'm creating a few of the best RPGs ever in my mind, some of which could be interesting to discuss with people who know about RPGs.
Heck, I fucking need a developing team.

obediah

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
Hazelnut said:
No identity or direction... which VD was providing to some extent, and planning to increase. Oh, and no new interviews or interesting stuff like that.

Hey, I did an interview a short while ago.

It was a very nice one even.

Hazelnut said:
I'm not saying that many of the issues we have now are the same as before, although poster stupidity would have been checked by VD I believe.

Why do you believe that? He didn't check poster stupidity while he was admin. On the contrary, he vigorously debated with many of the stupidest ESF invaders. He was one of the major players in extensive criticism of Oblivion which was brought in the lion's share of the stupidity. He even put KC in charge of GD - who knew the qualifications for smartening up the place were 10,000 posts of geopolitical debate, RTS jabber, and WH40K fan pics? He only brought out the ban hammer when he someone crossed one of VD's personal decency lines.

My apologies again to Vault Dweller. He is one of the key people behind the Codex's success, and has contributed extensively to content on the site. But this Jesus shit is just crazy talk. If he really was the last Bastion of intelligent discourse and single handedly preserving the greatness of the Codex, then you should ascend to the Iron Tower forums instead of wallowing in the ignorant pig shit with the rest of us retards.

Hazelnut

Erudite
obediah said:
Hazelnut said:
I'm not saying that many of the issues we have now aren't the same as before, although poster stupidity would have been checked by VD I believe.

Why do you believe that? He didn't check poster stupidity while he was admin. On the contrary, he vigorously debated with many of the stupidest ESF invaders. He was one of the major players in extensive criticism of Oblivion which was brought in the lion's share of the stupidity. He even put KC in charge of GD - who knew the qualifications for smartening up the place were 10,000 posts of geopolitical debate, RTS jabber, and WH40K fan pics? He only brought out the ban hammer when he someone crossed one of VD's personal decency lines.

My apologies again to Vault Dweller. He is one of the key people behind the Codex's success, and has contributed extensively to content on the site. But this Jesus shit is just crazy talk. If he really was the last Bastion of intelligent discourse and single handedly preserving the greatness of the Codex, then you should ascend to the Iron Tower forums instead of wallowing in the ignorant pig shit with the rest of us retards.

Note the correction above in bold.. I shouldn't write an answer 10 secs before grabbing my coat and leaving work.

I do believe he checked poster stupidity, and to be fair that's exactly why he got ousted. He wanted to come down much harder on 'stupid', whether you agree with his appraisal of 'stupid' or not. I'll not contest that he got a little more touchy about some things than others, but there were plenty of people to stand up if he crossed the line - and he would listen to those people he respected.

KC wasn't doing too bad with GD before VD left IMO, but yeah - 'tis not so good now as he doesn't seem to be able to moderate him own posts. (it was always a mere 1% quality from KC pre-sentinel days anyhow, and possibly I'm missing the wit recently or something) The Iron Tower forums simply do not have the same vibe and simply don't cover the same ground - there's no need to be a condescending prick about it.

My main point was that Nic & Poop should be unbanned. Nothing else makes sense given what got decided. I just got a little teary for the good (not-so) old days is all. Yeah, I know, cry you a fucking river. :cry:

Apologies JarlFrank for forgetting about your interview. I'll stfu now.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I just wanted to say I feel bad for not doing more for the site. But the reality is that I simply cannot do so with my current amount of work and study - and especially the latter has to become my priority, the Ph.D. won't write itself and the clock is ticking. I'm counting on a free day in near future to finally write that Eschalon review, I have notes ready.

spacemoose

Erudite
hey I have nothing of value to add but Imma post anyhow

Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg

why THIS board?

Nice idea, but why should we inflict such chaos upon ourselves? Why not learn from great empires before us and send the plague-bearers Pooper and Nikolai to destroy our enemies in return for citizenship. Let's form the inaugral Codex Foreign Legion, whereby we sign Pooper and Nikolai up to the Bethesda forums, give them the best in weaponry (about 50 or so accounts with non-static IP's) and the promise that if they wreak havoc in Bethesda we will let them return as full citizens! Viva la Codex Foreign!

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Shagnak said:
I'm still not in there :(
You still haven't provided a picture.

edit: I've resolved to wait until I have a handful of people to add in before I go back and edit it, so anonymity can easily be maintained. I'm a very trustworthy fellow, also.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I did so. On IRC. I was pretty drunk otherwise I wouldn't have dared.
In the long run, it's probably a good thing it got missed. You wouldn't be able to handle my Neanderthal glory.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I just spent five minutes or so doing Google image searches on the forum usernames of people here. Not quite as lulz-worthy as I'd hoped, although kingcomrade was pretty good.

Hory

Erudite
Hey, mister, do you think you're better than everyone else? Why did you go around cropping your face so accurately?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom