Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A thirst for digital, classical games...

mastroego

Arcane
So guys I'm looking for advice, but my needs are so subtle, so nuanced, so constrained by external conditions, that only the most refined of the prestigious codexian minds can hope to be able to present a solution. :obviously:

Recently I've been introduced to the tabletop game Talisman.
I'll make it short, the game is somewhat randomey but I've had incredible FUN with it, and I'm looking for similar experiences.
Now, I'm aware that playing solo against an AI is not the same as playing with other people. WELL aware of it actually, but I'm able to separate the issues and state that I fully approve of Talisman's mechanics and I'd have incredible fun with it even in a digital port (which I know it exists, more on that later).

I've also played Magic The Gathering Online a few years ago, and I had to stop as I couldn't control my expenses, basically. I have OCD and playing a game where you can't ever hope of possibly owning all cards brings only frustration in the end (shame, it's a great game). I need some measure of size limit, in my games, not perennial growth.

I've also tried Card Hunter, and I had fun with it too, but, well, same problem if smaller in magnitude - still not a good fit.

Basically I'm coming to the realization that these games have mechanics that I adore but the "collectible" aspect proves to be a deal-breaker.
Somehow the constraints of their medium (I mean tabletop, which is not technically the case of Card Hunter) push them to have flavorful, simple, elegant mechanics that make for entertaining rounds, dramatic effects, big swings of power, and so on.
I want more of that but I can't play collectible.
The Talisman adaptation looks like a no-brainer (it can be played against AIs) but not all expansions are out at the moment, I'm not sure if all of them will be made, and my OCD won't be happy if they won't (I know it's an irrational condition, but I can't "just" get rid of it :?).
Also, getting them all outside of a Steam sale would seem somewhat expensive (still I think I'll get this sooner or later).

So I'm looking for some brainstorming, and "lateral thinking" would be welcomed too (for instance, I've heard that King's Bounty feels somewhat like a tabletop game. Could that fit my desires?).
I could even be swayed into installing an iOS emulator, if that's what it takes.
:retarded:
So thanks in advance for any input :salute:

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Talisman computer game is actually pretty fun. Also the new Horus Heresy that just came out is also fun as well.

mastroego

Arcane
Ninjerk: actually I prefer something that I can play SP.

Jaesun: yeah, I get that feeling, I'll probably get it even though the "incomplete" aspect bugs me.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming :)

mastroego

Arcane
You could always try to get Shandalar working.
Another good option, but I'd miss all the new cards.

Dunno why, but I feel to suggest you: The Banner Saga.
Don't know what that game is about, but it looks like an out of the box suggestion, and that's the kind of reaction I was hoping to solicit by giving some background info.
Going to check it out :)

Ninjerk

Arcane
It crashed while I was making my portrait, I think. Really interesting to see how along ago someone was thinking about making custom portraits that way.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't really get the "missing new cards," though. Shandalar is basically a dead game.

Morkar Left

Witcher Adventure Game
Chaos Overlords
HoMM 3
Eador
Expedition Conquistador
Uplink
King of Dragon Pass

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Just take your car, come to [redacted]* and enjoy some true tabletop goodnes with a bunch of nerds***. We usually play something on tuesday and sunday evening ~21:30--->00:30.

Plane Bus tickets bitch!

*the sekrit location of my whereabouts is already known to you.

Anyway, Forge is a bit of an hassle to set up, especially if you want high rez pictures for your cards and the AI is mediocre at best BUT it does allow for hours of mindless fun just doing random campaigns or casual deckbuilding, to scratch that MtG itch.
Elder sign: Omens is basically mythos Yahtzee. Can be fun, I don't actually like it.

Morkar above already gave you some really nice suggestions.

We usually play Eldritch Horror, Dead of Winter, Illuminati, Fury of Dracula or Munchkin, lately... But we do have a lot more. No Talisman, sorry!

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Ninjerk:
It's just that I know many of the modern cards, and I'd "miss" them.
Yet you're right, it's truly a valid option. I think I'll try to set up Shandalar again.

Just take your car, come to [redacted]* and enjoy some true tabletop goodnes with a bunch of nerds***. We usually play something on tuesday and sunday evening ~21:30--->00:30.

Plane Bus tickets bitch!

*the sekrit location of my whereabouts is already known to you.

...but ..but... that'd would require me to disclose my carefully hidden identity!!! :eek:

Seriously, you're a bro, and you ARE some 30 minutes away via highway.
It's within the realm of possibility...
PM coming, with no intent to disrupt a well oiled machine, mind you ;)

Anyway, Forge is a bit of an hassle to set up, especially if you want high rez pictures for your cards and the AI is mediocre at best BUT it does allow for hours of mindless fun just doing random campaigns or casual deckbuilding, to scratch that MtG itch.
Elder sign: Omens is basically mythos Yahtzee. Can be fun, I don't actually like it.
Actually I do use Forge, I should have mentioned it.
It's an amazing program, especially if you think that it's a fan project. I can have only praising words on that regard.
Still, by its nature it'll never be finished, its complexity is every-growing, and it'll never feel (to me) like a game that you can fully "grasp".
I know that's part of the game's charm to most, but I for one would like to have access to a card game with a large but FIXED pool of cards that you can slowly get to "master". Pity that it wouldn't fit the business model of these games...

Anyway, the most intriguing suggestion so far seem to be:
- Banner Saga (for something different. Wishlist'd).
- Talisman Digital (Wishlisted too. The Gold pack includes even future expansions so I think I'll wait for a few more or a sale).
- More Forge. Surely I haven't been using it to its full potential, anyway.
- Resurrect Shandalar. Might work.
- Witcher Adventure Game. Possible, though I haven't played anything witchery.
- HoMM 3. I fear I've missed a classic but playing old games I don't already know sometimes just makes me bitch about their obsolescence.
- King of Dragon Pass. Old, again, but it does seem kind of unique.

Thanks guys. Brainstorming is a good thing, I think I have enough to work on :)
But feel free to chime in if something else pops to mind ;)

fastjack

Augur
As someone who came from (c)rpgs and who has really gotten into tabletop board/card games in the last couple of years I am having a lot of fun right now with Obsidian's conversion of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (called Pathfinder Adventures in digital form) which is free (or 25$ for the whole bundle I believe). I played the tabletop version a few times and imho unlike most straigt(ish) tabletop digital conversions I think the digital version is superior.

I should note that I have also played Card Hunter and Talisman (on pc) and had quite a bit of fun with both of them.

mastroego

Arcane
That's a very good suggestion, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Are you in the beta or something? Or is out already?
Pathfinder is not bad in itself imho, I just dislike the art style (which is not totally secondary TBH).

If only Culdcept has a damn PC version. Oh gawd, I would never leave my house....

Culdcept works pretty flawlessly on PCSX2 (or the Japanese original on a Dreamcast emulator, for that matter); you can also get a fan-translation of Culdcept running on a DS emulator, plus the early Playstation and Saturn versions... in fact you can play all Culdcept games with the exception of the Culdcept Saga (which isn't that great anyway) and the 3DS games (and even then I guess there's a working 3DS emulator now? I haven't tried it).

I really like Culdcept, too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If only Culdcept has a damn PC version. Oh gawd, I would never leave my house....

Culdcept works pretty flawlessly on PCSX2 (or the Japanese original on a Dreamcast emulator, for that matter); you can also get a fan-translation of Culdcept running on a DS emulator, plus the early Playstation and Saturn versions... in fact you can play all Culdcept games with the exception of the Culdcept Saga (which isn't that great anyway) and the 3DS games (and even then I guess there's a working 3DS emulator now? I haven't tried it).

I really like Culdcept, too.

Yeah I have Culdcept for the PS2 and Culdcept Saga for the XBox360. Sadly I can't do any PS2 emulation because I don't have a blue-ray DVD player (I still have the original disks).

:negative:

Yeah I have Culdcept for the PS2 and Culdcept Saga for the XBox360. Sadly I can't do any PS2 emulation because I don't have a blue-ray DVD player (I still have the original disks).

:negative:
Uh, you don't need to run the emulator off of physical discs, in fact it's much better to use image files even if you do have the originals. I can hook you up with the Culdcept PS2 iso if you want, shoot me a PM.

I think the PS2 one is the best (it's basically a reissue of the Dreamcast Culdcept 2) because it's very accessible, the translation of the cards isn't awful and it's got good variety. There are some overpowered cards (Old Willow), but nothing too terrible that I can remember. The music is pretty good (Yuzo Koshiro did the soundtrack if I'm not mistaken, it's upbeat stuff). The game is also very replayable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom