Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A very short "Why D:OS is the Best"

Yay or Nay?

• Fuck yeah!

Votes: 89 55.6%
  • Bleargh!

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • Lol, wut?

Votes: 48 30.0%

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Compromises? Well, Larian did invest a major amount of resources into redoing D:OS's graphics close to the game's release to give it more mass appeal, the kind of thing that is usually frowned upon in these parts.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Compromises? Well, Larian did invest a major amount of resources into redoing D:OS's graphics close to the game's release to give it more mass appeal, the kind of thing that is usually frowned upon in these parts.
If they had to compromise their vision to do that is bad, doesn't seem so to me.
Besides PoE blowed almost all the budget on graphics and many here don't seem so upset.

Hegel

Arcane
Considering their budget constraints, they shouldn't have wasted money on reinventing the wheel (with the added twist of making it a square).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Square and round wheels should both be viable and feel as though they have not made bad decisions as in a fucked up build.

After all , allowing someone to fail due to build stupidity leads to much degenerate gameplay.

imweasel

I've been a backer since day one (I'll just pat myself on the back for my uncanny clairvoyance) and I never heard about or noticed any substantial or major graphics overhaul.

:outrage:

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I just beat D:OS on Monday night with my cousin where we ended up playing for 50 + hours online. That is a major net positive that D:OS has over other games, fantastically easy to join a game and play online together, plus the net code and overall stability were solid too.

I actually enjoyed WL2 more personally in the two big KS releases last year, and I also think that game delivered more of what was promised. But I'm biased in that I wanted something that wasn't a "Fantasy:Elves n shit" style rpg to play.

As for POE the combat... just kills it. The combat and the resting decision is fucking awful, I've played about 10 hours now and it's not getting better. It's a damn shame too, because the game looks fantastic, the music and atmosphere, ambiance and choose your own adventure style segments are wonderful.

Anyway, I hope Larian makes D:OS 2 or w/e they are doing, they deserve continued success.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are you saying that Sawyer genius was hindered by the non implementation of the keep?

It would have been better with fewer features, with the time they were given.

The editor, they had to bargain hard and making non-steam mods was made extremely cimbersome for once, besides M$ didn't send to me the contract with all the clauses, yet I doubt that they didn't have a say on how their IP would be used.

Who cares about editors? Not even Larian.

There's nothing about the content of DMS and Dragonfall that suggests interference.

Yet Sven has gone out of his way to do the game, Fargo acts more balanced, not that he has any obligation to take such risks.

Gone out of his way how?

Yawn, if that is the same thing for you.

Hardly anyone cares about post-Cyseal content.

I was explaining the difference, at best they didn't lose sight of the business side, at worst we got PoE.

So what you're saying here is that it's good when people flirt with bankruptcy whenever making products they care about? You should love Curt Schilling then.

Funny. Humor me. PoE is a shit game exactly because it's the opposite of what Brennecke pitched. We knew that Sawyer's "midas touch" would inevitably turn everything into shit and that's it. Now imagine if this game was even more sawyerized, holy shit.
Time and time again during preproduction the codex called him on his idiotic decisions, and the critics were proved right, the game is weak and we knew it from the start.

Brennecke pitched a successor to a series of games no one at Obsidian gives a particular damn about. You wouldn't have enjoyed PoE even if it used 3.5 OGL rules.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
D:OS is my fav, but in the interest of objectivity, I don't see why it can't be said about Obsidian and PoE. I just happen to love the kind of game that Larian loves a bit more.
PoE is the game Josh always wanted to do, not Obsidian, at least I hope so.
It's not though, at all...

If that were true it would have been turn based and classless.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just beat D:OS on Monday night with my cousin where we ended up playing for 50 + hours online. That is a major net positive that D:OS has over other games, fantastically easy to join a game and play online together, plus the net code and overall stability were solid too.

I actually enjoyed WL2 more personally in the two big KS releases last year, and I also think that game delivered more of what was promised. But I'm biased in that I wanted something that wasn't a "Fantasy:Elves n shit" style rpg to play.

As for POE the combat... just kills it. The combat and the resting decision is fucking awful, I've played about 10 hours now and it's not getting better. It's a damn shame too, because the game looks fantastic, the music and atmosphere, ambiance and choose your own adventure style segments are wonderful.

Anyway, I hope Larian makes D:OS 2 or w/e they are doing, they deserve continued success.

This, Combat was superior in Larian game no doubt but I ain't combat fag and thus D:OS WoW graphic direction, guffy dialogue and Diablo loot made me drop the playthrou past the first Big Map. Still it was miles above Pillows of Banality which I had to force myself to finish So voted Lol Vut.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been a backer since day one (I'll just pat myself on the back for my uncanny clairvoyance) and I never heard about or noticed any substantial or major graphics overhaul.

:outrage:

Did you play Early Access? The game's appearance changed pretty radically from alpha to beta.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Kz3r0

Arcane
Are you saying that Sawyer genius was hindered by the non implementation of the keep?

It would have been better with fewer features, with the time they were given.
What features?
The game simply lacks focus because of shitty design decisions, that's all.
The editor, they had to bargain hard and making non-steam mods was made extremely cimbersome for once, besides M$ didn't send to me the contract with all the clauses, yet I doubt that they didn't have a say on how their IP would be used.

Who cares about editors? Not even Larian.
Bullshit, it was a very important feature for the backers of Shadowrun, so much that they choose it over more game content.
This alone dismiss your 'argument'.
There's nothing about the content of DMS and Dragonfall that suggests interference.
I remember the developers openly saying that the more support they got the more they could obtain, no, I won't bother with a link, I am not interested in keeping up with your hissy fits.
Yet Sven has gone out of his way to do the game, Fargo acts more balanced, not that he has any obligation to take such risks.

Gone out of his way how?
Going all in and making daily updates on Kickstarter for a month.
Yawn, if that is the same thing for you.

Hardly anyone cares about post-Cyseal content.
This is not what we were talking about, besides people hardly progress beyond act 2 in PoE, hohoohohoh.
I was explaining the difference, at best they didn't lose sight of the business side, at worst we got PoE.

So what you're saying here is that it's good when people flirt with bankruptcy whenever making products they care about? You should love Curt Schilling then.

Using circular trolling now?
I have already wrote in the OP that Larian made the game they wanted despite the risks and this deserves recognition, no, it's not mandatory for all doing it all the time.
Brennecke pitched a successor to a series of games no one at Obsidian gives a particular damn about. You wouldn't have enjoyed PoE even if it used 3.5 OGL rules.
Proof of that, I know you will love to incite more drama about Obsidian.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
D:OS could be a nearly perfect game if it was a bit longer and it didn't have stupid fucking Random Loot Generation.

What is wrong with having static loot that feels unique. I was not impressed with the Diablo style itemization.

Other then that.. great game even if it's a bit easy / unbalanced.

Renevent

Cipher
D:OS could be a nearly perfect game if it was a bit longer and it didn't have stupid fucking Random Loot Generation.

What is wrong with having static loot that feels unique. I was not impressed with the Diablo style itemization.

Other then that.. great game even if it's a bit easy / unbalanced.

Normally I really enjoy random loot (with uniques/legendaries tossed in), but D:OS implemented it very poorly. In this case I think the game would have been better with static loot and some weapon/armor customization similar to POE.

There's some other item related misteps as well, the special ore-related weapons (forgot names) that aren't usable until halfway through the game and required entirely separate weapons skills was silly to. Stunk specc'ing your character in a certain weapon skill, then having to again spec them to use the ore related skill later on.

I agree though, overall a great game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What features?

Take a look at the stretch goals.

Bullshit, it was a very important feature for the backers of Shadowrun, so much that they choose it over more game content.

People care about editors when they're as user friendly as NWN's and Bethesda's. HBS's turned out to be not that.

I remember the developers openly saying that the more support they got the more they could obtain, no, I won't bother with a link, I am not interested in keeping up with your hissy fits.

I'm sure whatever they said has nothing to do with what you think it does. Microsoft didn't dictate anything to them regarding mechanics or plot.

As they say, talk is cheap.

This is not what we were talking about, besides people hardly progress beyond act 2 in PoE, hohoohohoh.

We're not discussing "PoE versus D:OS: which one is more finished and why?" Even Vincke said he felt post-Cyseal content was unfinished, that's why they're spending all this money up to a year later fixing it.

I have already wrote in the OP that Larian made the game they wanted despite the risks and this deserves recognition, no, it's not mandatory for all doing it all the time.

And as I said, so did HBS and inXile and well most people who self/crowdfund.

The proof is Pillars of Eternity. No Sensukis contributing design on that team.

Kz3r0

Arcane
What features?

Take a look at the stretch goals.

People care about editors when they're as user friendly as NWN's and Bethesda's. HBS's turned out to be not that.

I'm sure whatever they said has nothing to do with what you think it does. Microsoft didn't dictate anything to them regarding mechanics or plot.

As they say, talk is cheap.

We're not discussing "PoE versus D:OS: which one is more finished and why?" Even Vincke said he felt post-Cyseal content was unfinished, that's why they're spending all this money up to a year later fixing it.

And as I said, so did HBS and inXile and well most people who self/crowdfund.

The proof is Pillars of Eternity. No Sensukis contributing design on that team.
Your typical passive-aggressive bullshitting that doesn't address any of the points the interlocutor made, nice grasping at straws, bye bye, felt good triggering you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom