Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ability Scores Generation

zornskin

Novice
I completely understand your point about balancing the game. I believe that it can't help but play better if they have a general power-level that the game is designed for and follow that for it's creation, rather than try to balance it for all respective power-levels.

My only real point, is that everyone who plays is going to have their own level of skill when utilizing those party members. Some of us love to play every combat in a brutally methodical fashion. Some are more try-and-save. Others have a combination of several methods. No matter what the ability generation system is, some will find it ridiculously easy and others will probably find it punishing. I just figure, if we know what the game is balanced for, we can make our own choices to determine where we'll fall on that curve.

Since everyone has their own respective play-styles, it makes any single point generation system somewhat arbitrary anyway. I'm confident that if the game is based around a 32pb system, I could probably progress with characters generated via 16pb method. It would probably be pretty damn hard, but I might find that scale of difficulty very rewarding. Mistakes would probably be very costly, with original XCom level casualty lists by the end. Some people would struggle with even 48pb characters, because they like to play fast and loose. Or maybe they are just bad at strategy games. Maybe they are completely unfamiliar with the ruleset. It just seems like the easiest place to actually set your own relative competency levels without completely redesigning the game around all ability(player) and score variables.

I'm totally for balancing the game against one set of generation methods. It makes perfect sense. What I'm not for, is saying people can't play the game the way is most enjoyable for them. Allowing the players to make their own choices between several generation methods, lets the players determine their own difficulty level, with almost no additional development costs.

If they make the game insanely difficult for the appropriate power-level, some will likely herald them as the second coming. But a lot will just say "fuck this", and play something else. While the feeling of accomplishment on that level fuels our own egos(...and personal satisfaction and enjoyment), only inclusiveness fuels sequels.

+1 vote for a campaign that is"insanely difficult" for the official generation method.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
My recommendation:
Let players freely increase stats.
Tally the points allocated, and give feedback in the form of colored text.
e.g.
<25 points - underpowered
25-32 - recommended
33-40 - overpowered
>41 - ridiculous

Wyrdworm

Barely Literate
ToEE had both. I vote both!

Though I would prefer something along the lines of rolling three rows for rolls, and choosing the one you'd like, instead of having infinite re-rolls.

I can see it now. Roll three times, don't like it, quit, reload, try again. rinse and repeat. I started around 20 games I immediately quit after the first mission in XCOM:EU once I saw a base layout I didn't like.

Point buy would probably be the best...for me at least.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ToEE had both. I vote both!

Though I would prefer something along the lines of rolling three rows for rolls, and choosing the one you'd like, instead of having infinite re-rolls.

I can see it now. Roll three times, don't like it, quit, reload, try again. rinse and repeat. I started around 20 games I immediately quit after the first mission in XCOM:EU once I saw a base layout I didn't like.

Point buy would probably be the best...for me at least.

Wyrdworm

Barely Literate
Maybe a system can be tied to Difficulty. For a point buy on Normal difficulty it could be standard or slightly generous point buy. For Hard difficulty a few less points. And highest difficulty even fewer points.

But maybe that's too much... just a thought I had.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom