Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About an hour in to System Shock 2, so far, not impressed

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Deleted member 7219

So after hearing about what a great game System Shock 2 is, I bought it from GOG and I'm about an hour in. I've picked my career and I'm on board the ship where all the action happens.

I know I have to get to another deck to meet with the woman who keeps talking to me, and I'm picking up audio logs to find out what else is going on. I have two problems.

Problem 1: the enemies. They are really, really boring to fight. They animate the exact same way, scream out the same unintelligible nonsense, and I just have to keep whacking at them with the wrench until they fall down.

Problem 2: the music. The same heavy techno track blasts out whenever enemies run at me. Bad design decision there.

I think good shooters blend in a mix of exploration with all the fighting. Right now I really don't like running down grey corridors and having music blast in my ears while zombies run at me. Does SS2 improve or should I expect the rest of the game to be like this?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was implying that you have shit taste, I thought it was obvious.

But to answer your original question: If the intense atmosphere hasn't pulled you in so far, it's no use to continue playing - it gets better only if you already like what's being offered, otherwise don't bother.

MetalCraze

Arcane
This is how arguments on the Codex work nowadays, Matt.

You make a post
If a retard agrees with you he hits the (A)wesome brofist button
If a retard disagrees with you he makes a "lol u r fag i fuckd ur mom" post.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You make a post
Well, you're the expert. Bonus points for Matt brofisting that.

Deleted member 7219

You make a post

True dat. I looked at my list and noticed I missed out a few. I know just by mentioning them I'll enrage fellow Codexers even more. Funny thing was, at the time I was reading what other people wrote and thought mine was :obviously: in comparison. I even listed true Codex favourites like Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape Torment. I didn't expect my choices to create such a surge of butthurt that it would follow me across the whole site.

Deleted member 7219

You make a post
Well, you're the expert. Bonus points for Matt brofisting that.

He actually edited in everything after the first sentence, after I brofisted. Fair play Skyway.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The only bad part is when it becomes Quake 2 near the end. Like any game of its type, the most fun is at the beginning when you have to hunt for resources, enemies are real threats, you discover shit, etc. If you don't like the beginning just uninstall and move on.

evdk

Patron
System Schlock 2 was never a good shooter.
Yeah, so? Playing it as a shooter is fail anyways. Would like to inform me that RE2 sucks as an action game too?

The only bad part is when it becomes Quake 2 near the end.
Yep, from Rickenbacker onward the game gives a distinct "Where has all the money gone?" feeling, culminating in the horrible "Body of Many" clusterfuck.

Lancehead

Liturgist
First time I played, the game became trivially easy once I got the assault rifle. Although for a while it was total awesome to be finally dispatching even the strongest enemies like flies. The first half to 2/3 is where the game is most fun; keeping an eye on weapon degradation, ammo count while keeping an ear for familiar sounds in very atmospheric levels was quite fun. Also, music should be turned off for maximum enjoyment.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
How in the world do you have zombies constantly attacking you in the first hour of SS2? Did you set off an alarm and were too dumb to notice?

Also, if you really think the music is bad, uninstall the game, and hope everybody forgets this thread eventually.

Roguey, is that more Sawyer wisdom? Is Silent Hill 2 a bad game because the combat is clunky?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, let's ask Josh Sawyer what he thinks about System Shock 2 on Formspring. :smug:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Curiously, Thomas Grip's latest blog post brings up SS2 combat as an example of a gameplay mechanic integrated very well with a game's narrative. And I agree. SS2 would be a worse game with kinaesthetically pleasing, fluid and visceral combat.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Perhaps you should play more than one hour ... just saying.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
System Schlock 2 was never a good shooter.
http://www.caltrops.com/review0010.php
"Wahhh weapons are not REALISTIC! I'm doing banal things like fixing elevators instead of saving the world by pressing awesome buttons! Atmospheric terror-like game doesn't pause or do cutscenes to let me hear the audio logs! It also breaks my resources, so I don't feel like a badass marine with 10 weapons!"

That's some review...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom