Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About an hour in to System Shock 2, so far, not impressed

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

DraQ

Arcane
Anyone who lets the game go past internal testing stage without having freely rebindable controls should be dragged in the street and shot in the head.
I don't care if 90% is using WSAD or something - 90% would probably not notice if you gave them noninteractive video instead of the game either.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone who lets the game go past internal testing stage without having freely rebindable controls should be dragged in the street and shot in the head.
I don't care if 90% is using WSAD or something - 90% would probably not notice if you gave them noninteractive video instead of the game either.

Rebinding controls didn't really become a standard feature in games until the mid to late 90s, I think. SS1 was sort of on the edge of that period.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
The game has aged like wine considering all the other shit lately. Hell, first time I played was like a year ago and it blew me away with the tight mechanics and skill choices. Career paths also were very atmospheric and immersive. LOL @ people playing it like an action shooter and judging it by that.

Rebinding controls didn't really become a standard feature in games until the mid to late 90s, I think. SS1 was sort of on the edge of that period.

Truly, the 90s were a wild and crazy time.

zwanzig_zwoelf

should be dragged in the street and shot in the head.
The autism is showing again. Just sayin'.

Controls are not rebindable to enjoy the game, trees are too high to fly the airplane.
Anyhoo, some of the games had both shitty and unrebindable controls, yet you could get used to it after some time and dedication.
But hey, we have no time for that! We want to press the awsum button and enjoy the show!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I always thought the System Shock 1 controls were actually pretty intuitive once you got used to them. At first they are overwhelming as hell and seem all over the place, but when you play for an hour or so, they actually turn out fairly organic and logical.

DraQ

Arcane
I always thought the System Shock 1 controls were actually pretty intuitive once you got used to them. At first they are overwhelming as hell and seem all over the place, but when you play for an hour or so, they actually turn out fairly organic and logical.
I don't care how awesome and intuitive they were if they were on the wrong end of the KB.

should be dragged in the street and shot in the head.

The autism is showing again. Just sayin'.
That's simply fabulous.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I don't care how awesome and intuitive they were if they were on the wrong end of the KB.

Can't into left-handed controls? :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

You effectively have four different ways of moving around - numpad, zxcasd, mouse, arrows. Where's this "wrong end" you speak of?

Wizfall

Cipher
I tried the game recently after reading the excellent critics here.
Did not like it.
However it's not that surprising, i dislike FPS and i'm very bad playing them (i know it's not a true FPS but still).
The game was very difficult to me (on normal) and frustrating/unpleasant. Did not have any patience for the game too.
That makes me thought about all those people playing complex cRPG or strategic game like JA2 and complaining it's too difficult, incomprehensible etc...
I handle those game on the highest difficulty without problems, with a minimum of reload and even sometimes in iron man mode.
I'm never impatient with those kind of games too.
Well i discovered i'm the dumbfuck of FPS or RT cRPG :)

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
The game was very difficult to me (on normal) and frustrating/unpleasant. Did not have any patience for the game too.
That makes me thought about all those people playing complex cRPG or strategic game like JA2 and complaining it's too difficult, incomprehensible etc...
I handle those game on the highest difficulty without problems, with a minimum of reload and even sometimes in iron man mode

You and I must be complete opposites because games like JA2 and more recently Expiditions: Conquistador combat are simply far too difficult for me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Looking up&down and position switching is on RFV and TGB, leaning is on QWE.

Looking up and down + leaning is also on ctrl + arrows or ctrl + numpad.

You can also both lean and switch posture by clicking the dude in the top left corner.

Problem? :martini:

DraQ

Arcane
Looking up&down and position switching is on RFV and TGB, leaning is on QWE.

Looking up and down + leaning is also on ctrl + arrows or ctrl + numpad.

You can also both lean and switch posture by clicking the dude in the top left corner.

Problem? :martini:
What if I want to move, shoot and look around simultaneously?

Or is there also a TB mode I somehow glossed over?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I've not played SS1. Are all the numpad controls mirrored elsewhere? If not, us tenkeyless users are fucked.
I don't remember that, but you can use XCDShock (or TradeKeys) to change all of the key bindings to your liking. I'd recommend that to everyone, really, as I always thought the default controls more or less sucked.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Using SZXC blows. The numpad movement might be good if it wasn't Num 8 for going forward and Num 2 for going backward. The rest I could live with, or at least as far as I remember.

DraQ

Arcane
Not my fault you are made of inferior genetic stock :martini:
My inter-hemisphere connector has better bandwidth allowing for better handling of complex tasks and context switching when solving problems.
I have superior spatial skills.
You're obsolete.

Finally,there is Sturgeon's law:
ninety percent of everything is shit
Including humans:
Globally, roughly 12% of men and 10% of women are left-handed.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness#cite_note-Papadatou-3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness#cite_note-Papadatou-3
:smug:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I wasn't so fond of it either matt, i always preferred deus ex and the thief games as a kid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom