Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Activision to excavate Sierra's mummified corpse for new rounds of rape

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Once again, I have no idea if this is legit. Someone bothered to make a new Sierra Logo though.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, if it means I get an HD version of this, I suppose it's all right.

http://youtu.be/G3h2YaYqljI?t=3s

I'm guessing @sierra_games is a joke account. But this "joke" account has as many followers as my "real" company twitter. All this doing every-goddamn-thing ironically is going to make me jump into a vat of nacho cheese, never to be seen again.

Bt

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The Odd Gentlemen are at least competent, though... Maybe there's hope for whatever they'll do.

Perkel

Arcane
it is obviously joke account.

Still it would be hilarious to see kickstarter just for the trainwreck.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rip.jpg

One zombie at the time. I hope everyone will give money to Activision, because ... old school !

bobby.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
Don't even mention how they wrecked Raven Software. Once known to be the proud developer of Heretic, Hexen and Jedi Outcast, then to be degraded to a mere Call of Dooty DLC assembly line.

Don't forget Soldier of Fortune 1/2

buzz

Arcane
:hmmm: More than half of those were sholverware-making developers that have been working with Activision for pretty much their entire lifespan. And the others were Sierra subsidiaries, which were killed by Vivendi before the merger or even by themselves long time ago. It's not like the lack of Gabriel Knight/King's Quest/Space Quest is because of Activision.

Big companies pull the plug from smaller firms when shit goes down under. This isn't an exclusive feat to Activision, it's a constant.

The idea that they've killed companies renown for xbox-exclusive racing game, gimmick Guitar Heroes and video-game tie-in is baffling. To kill something means that said thing need to had some semblance of life first.

Compare to EA which killed Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog and Maxis and they've absolutely ruined companies like DICE and Bioware.

Seriously, there's anti-corporatism about publishers that genuinely ruin things and then there's edgy one-liners targeted towards safe targets for the sake of fitting in.

Next on EdgyCodex, how the Wii sucks and it's for kids!!1 :thumbsup:Also a rant on how Angry Birds ruined gaming.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Chestburster has pretty shit taste in games so no surprise there.

buzz

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters: buzz

Didn't we already have a thread where a bunch of Codexers came out of the closet as Call of Duty fans?
The only Call of Duty I actually liked was the first one plus the expansion. And even that one I wouldn't put as my favorite WW2 shooter, I've played much better games like Brothers in Arms, Hidden and Dangerous, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, even the early Medal of Honor games I like more. Shit, I don't like shooters that much to begin with.

It's sad that you out of all people are misinterpreting a moderate, devil's advocate-type of opinion about a company with some kind of fanboyish defense of low-denominator video games.

I'm just not a big fan of misdirected hate that certain things often get in pop culture. Hating Activision for doing just big dumb shooters is kinda like hating Justin Bieber. It's infantile crap on the same level with 4chan memes or youtube comments.

How about you guys turn your brain on for a minute and focus your priorities, eh?

Instead of bitching about Activision doing some kind of f2p Facebook shooter game based on the Sierra brand (even though Activision doesn't really have that kind of history like EA does but whatever), how about we bitch about the fact that actual Sierra veterans, the "good guys" like the Coles or two guys from Andromeda didn't deliver shit? It's been 2 years since they got funded and the games are nowhere near release.

At least Activision in all its "EVULNESS" didn't quite yet got hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars from nostalgic and easily-impressionable fans only to faff around for several years making what should be one of the fucking easiest kind of games to make.

EDIT: I've noticed you've criticized them in the Hero U thread a few days ago so at least you're cool on that front.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.shacknews.com/article/85...eturns-with-new-kings-quest-and-geometry-wars

“Sierra’s goal is to find and work with gifted up-and-coming indie developers working on their own amazing projects or who are passionate about working on great Sierra IP,” Sierra director of external development said. “We’re in talks with a large number of other indie devs, and we can’t wait to share more details with fans in the near future.”

The Odd Gentlemen, the developers of The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom, will handle King's Quest development, while Lucid Games will take on Geometry Wars 3.

King's Quest will be comparable to other chapters in the series, with a similar narrative and puzzles that need to be solved throughout. It will launch in 2015. Platforms weren't names, but PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 seem very likely.

Meanwhile, Geometry Wars will return this holiday season, with a new single player campaign, 10 unique battle modes and 50 challenges. No specific platforms were given, but it is coming to "more platforms than ever before," indicating it's no longer an Xbox exclusive.

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
I suppose by "up-and-coming indie developers" they don't mean the folks at pinkerton road and two guys from andromeda? or do they?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Actually, he would probably get the low-res style art.
And I would feel a lot more better with Phil Fish doing the integrality of that game that just knowing that Kotick has even the slightest, remotest hand in its development.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So what is the hivemind's consensus hum about The Odd Gentlemen, King's Quest new developer?
probably shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom