Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here!
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Taluntain, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    Click here and disable ads!
    --- Want to disable all the ads on Codex? It's doable with just a small donation: http://www.rpgcodex.net/myaccount.php ---

You're all probably aware that websites not made by rich kids who can pay for all the running costs themselves need advertising to help pay the bills. Amazingly, Codex is no exception here. It's a big site, with a lot of people always on and a lot of content, which consequently requires an appropriate server to handle it all. We've got all that, thank you.

Where you come in is advertising. Codex doesn't require you to pay anything. Codex doesn't even ask you to click anything (but it's nice if you do). What we do ask you, respectfully, is to not be a bloody leech and block all the ads. By blocking any advertising here you take away even those few cents a month that the site would otherwise get from your visits. Those few cents require no action whatsoever on your part. You can even close your eyes and scroll past the banners (if you can manage that), it's cool. So merely letting those ads at peace is not really much of a request. Some of them do pay merely for showing (rare, but it happens), so it's not a "I won't click on them so it makes no difference if I block them" situation.

The consequences of a few people blocking ads are unnoticeable. But when it gets to the point that ad blocker discussions (which are now a banned subject, btw -> Retardo Land express post) regularly take place in any community and there's indication that many in the community use them to block advertising on the site they enjoy, it's a big problem.

Why is it a big problem? Because 99% of advertising available to independent sites today pays next to nothing. The kind that would pay at least moderately (pop-ups) has only been used on Codex sporadically and infrequently. Which consequently means that every cent made from advertising is earned in blood and needed. It won't not matter if you and half of Codex visitors do your best to block all the advertising here.

I won't say that it will result in shutting down of the site if you do, because it won't. What it could result in is progressively more and more ads for those honest, well-meaning people whose first reflex isn't to disable all ads on any site they frequent. I realize that you could be a cold-hearted bastard who doesn't give a damn about that. I'm not fooling myself that I'm going to convince you or anyone else set on getting a free pass not to block all ads.

What I can do, however, is respectfully remind the people who might care about the consequences of ad blocking that there's more to it than a few clicks on your end. It eventually creates a sizeable problem on the management's end.

So, in short:

1) Please don't block ads on Codex.
    2) If you're intent on blocking them, or do block them, keep your dirty little secret to yourself and don't discuss it here. Too many people are blocking ads as it is so don't expect any sympathies for any kind of ad blocking software promotions.

Having said that, I do realize that now and then there comes an ad which makes everyone twitch. And no, we're not just going to remove every mildly annoying one - you'll just have to live with those (if it's flashing, pressing Esc will usually freeze it). But if there's anything malicious or REALLY excessive about any ad, like carrying a trojan, virus, constant audio, seizure-inducing flashing, spawning more ads and such - this will NEVER be tolerated, and will be reported for removal as soon as I hear about it. Which brings me to

3) You can always report a supposedly bad ad to me and have me look into it.

WHAT CONSTITUTES A BAD AD?

* Malicious ads. This includes browser session hijackers, auto-installers, trojan/spyware-carriers and the rest of the crap that won't be tolerated here.
    * Non-user-initiated audio ads. This means any ads that make any sound on their own, without any action on your part. (This does not include the infamous "Hellooooo!!!" smiley ads which only make a sound if you move your mouse cursor over them. Such ads are annoying, but their sound can be avoided.)
    * Adult ads. This means any ads with nudity and the majority of suggestive ads.
    * Excessively flashing ads. Any ads that flash ridiculously fast and/or with colours hard on the eyes are bad.
    * Pop-ups that make closing them difficult. Any pop ads that don't want to immediately close after clicking the [X] in their window's top right corner are considered bad.
    * Pop-ups that spawn another (or more) pop-ups. Each pop-up should be unique and a single ad. For example, a pop-up that spawns another pop-up once you close the first one is bad.

Here's the holy trinity of valid reports about problematic ads:

1. Take a screenshot of it.

2. See where the ad points to (target url), and copy the url. If you can't get the target url by right-clicking on the ad and Copying Link Location, click on the ad and copy the url that you land on.

3. Describe what the ad is doing that is problematic.

Then send me a PM with all of the above (screenshot, target url of the ad, description of why it's a problem), and I'll look into it. Opening separate threads about it or posting pictures here is only wasting your time, because without the information requested above I can't do anything to remove such ads, nor do I regularly monitor all the threads here.

If there are any other ad-related problems you are having, feel free to discuss them here. Feel free to also ask any other questions either here or via PM. Thank you.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Pipeweed Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    And yes, we have been testing interstitials (the interim page ads) since yesterday.
    ^ Top  
  3. Atrokkus Erudite

Atrokkus
    As long as there will be no interstitials at every action (at least not on view new posts and post reply etc), I'm pretty okay with advertisement. I'll even disable my flashblock on this server.

Personally, I don't think ads here are that horrid. Some of them are even good - meaning, pretty to look at.
    See, the only problem is that they take some time to load up. While I have no problem at home (I don't mind a bit of a lag for the sake of my beloved site, and got no traffic limits), on my workplace I don't load up pictures at all, because we got like 300 MB per month ADSL, which is, well, laughable. So, despite my will to help this site, I can't view banners at work. SORRY
    ^ Top  
  4. Section8 Erudite

Section8
    Those fucking idiotic "you will be redirected to the Codex in 9 seconds" ads need to fucking die. They're more offensive than Lindsey Lohan naked, and they're more intrusive than an unwanted prostate exam. Even if it means another donation drive, get the fuck rid of that shit.
    ^ Top  
  5. HardCode Arbiter

HardCode
    AGREED Pretty much every time I click a link or visit a site with that interim-full-screen-ad-with-redirect shit, I just say fuck it and close the window. I don't want to have to do that with the Codex.

If Google can rise to $400/share on the stock market with pure text advertising, I am sure it is a viable marketing model, and should be utilized more often.
    ^ Top  
  6. Nicolai DUMBFUCK

Nicolai
    I added RPG Codex to my 'exception' list a while back since I'm such a patriot.

Anyway, I've not seen any interstitials yet. How frequently do they occur?
    ^ Top  
  7. Atrokkus Erudite

Atrokkus
    I've encountered an interstitial (what kind of word is that?) when I hit Search button.

Offend me.
    ^ Top  
  8. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    I haven't seen any interstitals yet and I really hope I won't.
    ^ Top  
  9. Atrokkus Erudite

Atrokkus
    You're missing the whole point then, Elwro.

Gotta find as many as possible.
    ^ Top  
  10. Shinan Educated

Shinan
    For some reason when I press the middle mouse button on Firefox (to tab) the page I clicked in also changes. Slightly annoying to press back to get back to the page I wanted, but livable I suppose...
    ^ Top  
  11. Greatatlantic Erudite

Greatatlantic
    I've gotten to Interstitals (is that really what they are called) ads so far, and they seem to occur at a rate of 1 per day. I think thats a fair occurence rate and I don't mind waiting an extra 10 seconds to see the page, which is probably a discussion about Oblivion anyways.
    ^ Top  
  12. callehe Liturgist

callehe
    and you can always klick on the skip button.
    ^ Top  
  13. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Gif banners are cold, Flash banners are flu, pop-ups AIDS and interstitials are fucking WWW ebola.
    ^ Top  
  14. VasikkA Liturgist

VasikkA
    I don't get them whenever I enter the forums through Tacticular Cancer. But on the other hand I don't do that very often, because the forum icons are all messed up.

Are these things coming to DAC/other Sorcerers.net hosted sites as well?
    ^ Top  
  15. Saint_Proverbius Arcane Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    I think they're geared to only show up once every few hours, so that's not too bad. You see one and then you're free to browse around un-interwhatevered for a while.
    ^ Top  
  16. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    Yeah, it's a weird problem I've been having too today. What's going on? It's getting annoying.
    ^ Top  
  17. POOPERSCOOPER Cipher

POOPERSCOOPER
    I dont mind the intersectional ads too much. I never block any ads unless they make some loud noises and shit. I'm not as cold hearted as you think, taluntain. I just want that ram upgrade you promised :wink:

I have a question. Is it okay to press "skip" on those ads or do we have to wait so you get benefits or some shit?
    ^ Top  
  18. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "What it could result in is progressively more and more ads for those honest, well-meaning people whose first reflex isn't to disable all ads on any site they frequent"

LMAO Hilarity ensues! 'Honest well menaing people'? LMAO So, evil bastards block pop up ads; but nagels don't? Give me a break.

You know; I tend not to block 'em if I can avoid; but with your pathetic attitude; I might have to start.

LMAO

I'm EVIL because I block unwanted ads.

Whatever.

:roll: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP
    ^ Top  
  19. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    Yes, I get that too and given that's my default browsing habit it pisses me right the hell off.

... but we do need the money. The other option was allowing things like custom avatars and titles to users who pay a once off fee of something like $10 or even removing all ads for those people that donate to the site.
    ^ Top  
  20. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    Interstitials are set up to show only once every 6 hours. Unfortunately, there's a problem with how Firefox handles opening links, so if you ctrl+link click, you apparently get one every time. Considering interstitials are set up on every link, there's really no way around it. They work fine any other way.

But as this is obviously proving to be a big pain in the ass for people with FF and this browsing habit, I'll discuss it with Saint and see if pop-unders wouldn't be a preferrable solution. Of course, considering most people are blocking pops these days it means considerably less exposure, but at least it wouldn't be causing this problem.

As for Google advertising, please. Google pays per click, and Codex never got more a few clicks a day, which usually amounted to under 30 cents income a day.

Poopy, that RAM upgrade's been done over a month ago.

Volourn, for all I care, you can start blocking Codex altogether. One less trolling ground for you and that less crap for everyone else to read.
    ^ Top  
  21. mathboy Liturgist

mathboy
    Why don't you add the option to pay to get rid of ads? That sounds great (not that I would pay at the moment but wouldn't it generate more money than just having ads?).
    ^ Top  
  22. Nicolai DUMBFUCK

Nicolai

I always open new links like that, and I've still not seen any interstitials.

help
    ^ Top  
  23. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    You don't interstitials (damn I hate typing that word) every time. It's just that instead of opening the link in a new tab, it opens in a new tab AND starts loading that page for the page you're looking at.

So if I'm looking at the forum index and I ctrl-click the new forum, it'll open the news forum in a new tab but it'll ALSO start loading the news forums in my current open windo, instead of staying on the forum index and letting me open other forums.

It means we'd have two Codexes. If you're not logged in or are just a regular visitor, you'll see Spammy Codex with many ads per page and maybe pop-ups, as well as interstitials. If you donate say about $10 to the site, then whenever you log-in you'll see no ads. The code will simply acknowledge you're a "Special Friend of the Codex" and won't include any ad-code.

I'm interested in a poll on this. So rather than hi-jacking this thread, I'll make another one.
    ^ Top  
  24. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    I'm guessing interstitials don't show in certain countries, so not everyone will see them.

DU, well, whatever... annoying nonetheless.
    ^ Top  
  25. Tintin Arbiter

Tintin
    I'm using Opera, and I think I've gotten about 4 of the interstitials in the few times I came to this site today....
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)