Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm getting dishwasher ads too, but they are from American TV.

Is this a hint? Wash your dishes more often? Codex teaching us valuable sanitary practices?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Here's the holy trinity of good reports about problematic ads:

1. Take a screenshot of it.
2. See where the ad points to (target url), and copy the url.
3. Describe what the ad is doing that is problematic.

Then send me a PM with all of the above (screenshot, target url of the ad, description of why it's a problem), and I'll look into it. Opening separate threads about it or posting pictures here is only wasting your time, because without the information requested above I can't do anything to remove such ads etc.

From your descriptions, I don't even know which ad spot is causing the problems.

Crichton

Prophet
Noisy Ad:

marriotad.jpg

clicking leads to:

http://www.marriott.com/towneplace-suites/travel.mi

but through something called "hiro.tv"

Lumpy

Arcane
Jasede said:
I'm getting dishwasher ads too, but they are from American TV.

Is this a hint? Wash your dishes more often? Codex teaching us valuable sanitary practices?
It's been telling me to date a soldier. Should I date a soldier?

Taluntain, the ad didn't link to anything. But it was for this stuff:
http://www.finish.co.uk/

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Yea, seems to be mostly detergents and such. I'm still waiting for the advertising provider's response as I don't have access to fix this myself directly.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
JaySn said:
http://www.heavy.com/action/action-videos/margie-picks/2009/05/mma-double-knockout-2/?t=4355&aff=402

Plays a montage of Flash commercials, all at once, within a frame within an ad banner, making it impossible to destroy it.

And it haunts my dreams.

And a video ad for some form of celebrity, following a Lysol commeric . . . Why not just ban Flash?

I still can't do anything without a screenshot. Again, I don't even know which ad spot you're talking about from your description. We've gone over this just a few posts up.

FYI, pretty much all ads except Google's have been Flash for the last several years.

JaySn

Educated
Apologizes, Taluntain. I'll upload a screenshot of the ad, and a screenshot of it open, in "this frame -> open frame in new tab." momentarily.

In RPG Codex:

9FxiO.png

Frame opened:

JBRuT.jpg

As far as the other ad is concerned, when I see it I'll see if I can't get some more information. For whet ever reason, it didn't show up as a part of the page in Firefox's View Page Info -> Media.[/img]

Glyphwright

Haven't seen a single ad on the Codex in years. SRWare Iron, I love you.

serch

Magister
Glyphwright said:
Haven't seen a single ad on the Codex in years. SRWare Iron, I love you.

fucking free-rider

Taluntain said:
Where you come in is advertising. Codex doesn't require you to pay anything. Codex doesn't even ask you to click anything (but it's nice if you do). What we do ask you, respectfully, is to not be a bloody leech and block all the ads. By blocking any advertising here you take away even those few cents a month that the site would otherwise get from your visits. Those few cents require no action whatsoever on your part. You can even close your eyes and scroll past the banners (if you can manage that), it's cool. So merely lettings those ads at peace is not really much of a request. Some of them do pay merely for showing (rare, but it happens), so it's not a "I won't click on them so it makes no difference if I block them" situation.

The consequences of a few people blocking ads are unnoticeable. But when it gets to the point that ad blocker discussions (which are now a banned subject, btw -> Retardo Land express post) regularly take place in any community and there's indication that many in the community use them to block advertising on the site they enjoy, it's a big problem.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
serch, this is very odd, I can't find that ad in the system and I've gone over everything twice... are you still seeing it?

serch

Magister

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
serch said:
No, I don't, I'll let you know if it happens again. It seemed to be some kind of generalized problem in Spain, I've seen that add even in "El Pais" webpage which is a huge-ass national paper. Probably that got it nuked. Here they are talking about it:

http://www.meneame.net/notame/Samarkanda/1002870

EDIT: Being curious I dug a little more:

that web got into some prestigious sites before :salute:
funny... your post shows as empty for me across different browsers, and so does mine if i quote it unless i kill the second url in it..

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's because there's a space in the second link between "aldaniti.net" and the "[/url]" tag, which messes up the BBCode.

serch said:
No, I don't, I'll let you know if it happens again. It seemed to be some kind of generalized problem in Spain, I've seen that add even in "El Pais" webpage which is a huge-ass national paper. Probably that got it nuked. Here they are talking about it:

http://www.meneame.net/notame/Samarkanda/1002870

EDIT: Being curious I dug a little more:

http://www.seoprofiler.com/analyze/aldaniti.net

that web got into some prestigious sites before :salute:

Here, works like a charm.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Crap like this really pisses me off... apparently it's being slipped in under some different name so I can't find it and I've practically gone over all the ads manually. I've banned the aldaniti.net domain so hopefully this will get rid of it. Let me know...

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Hah, found the SOB... why the block didn't hold is because they're presented as .COM and not .NET in the system.

For future reference: Client "Lotonazo", ad "LOTONAZO.DEC.RON.ES.728.1"

Merry Christmas. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom