Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i see the codex staff is still trying to get blood out of stones.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
$25 is already almost the price of an AAA game on Steam
how much enjoyment will you get from said AAA game? none? a few hours? at most a few days? how much enjoyment have you gotten out of the codex, considering that you spent over 1600 days here, roughly making 7 posts a day?
Difference is the codex is primarily a free service, never had to pay for that enjoyment.
Having to pay for priviledges.

:hmmm:

I like Excidium's ideas.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
$25 is already almost the price of an AAA game on Steam
how much enjoyment will you get from said AAA game? none? a few hours? at most a few days? how much enjoyment have you gotten out of the codex, considering that you spent over 1600 days here, roughly making 7 posts a day?
Difference is the codex is primarily a free service, never had to pay for that enjoyment.
Having to pay for priviledges.

:hmmm:

I like Excidium's ideas.
dp4Ctd8.jpg

Monty

Arcane
Don't usually complain about ads as I realise you have to pay the bills but the Shadowrun ad seems to be appearing at random positions in the middle of the forums - not sure if this is intentional but usually they are relatively unobtrusive:

ytsq1aP.jpg

edit: Sorry, just saw this has been covered above.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't really share your opinion that they're so horribly bad, though.

20120112.gif

I too enjoy the ads, it's like trying to read a book when random patches are torn out and you need to switch between copies to find the missing stuff every minute or so. So engaging!

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Don't usually complain about ads as I realise you have to pay the bills but the Shadowrun ad seems to be appearing at random positions in the middle of the forums - not sure if this is intentional but usually they are relatively unobtrusive:

ytsq1aP.jpg

edit: Sorry, just saw this has been covered above.

The thread listing pages are problematic because there's no neat way to integrate the square ads into the content, like in the threads themselves...

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I don't really share your opinion that they're so horribly bad, though.

I too enjoy the ads, it's like trying to read a book when random patches are torn out and you need to switch between copies to find the missing stuff every minute or so. So engaging!

I'm not sure anybody "enjoys" the ads all the time. They're a necessary evil that helps pay the bills. Some are good, some are bad, the majority's average. But for anyone who absolutely hates all of them for one reason or another we do offer a legitimate way of never having to see them.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I accidentally clicked on the above, and I thought I have problem with overclocking and it broke how browser is showing pages, it occasionally happens when you have too brutal overclocking.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Given the progression, I'm guessing in another decade or two the pages will be 90% ads and posting will require the installation of at least 3 separate toolbars, one of which uses 50% of your cpu cycles to farm bitcoins or something. But it'll be ok because it's only 10% more ads than last year.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I don't think you're targeting this demographic well. I'm sure you'd get a lot more clicks and conversions from advertising dragon dildos and thai tranny mail order bride sites.

R@S

Scholar
But for anyone who absolutely hates all of them for one reason or another we do offer a legitimate way of never having to see them.
Are you implying that using AdBlock or NoScript is illegal? Or is there a rule about using those in the ToS of this site. Maybe you should look into that instead of this passive aggressive shit.

I use adblock because my time is worth more than yours, or so I like to think, and I only use it because of the popup ads. Forcing me to spend time closing those annoying popup windows adds up, you know. I'll make you a deal, I'll disable adblock if you pay me for my wasted time. Or you could do the work pre-screening them and disable the obviously offending ads instead of making users waste time reporting them. Then, and only then, will I browse this forum with adblock disabled.

Xeon

Augur
Popup ads are pretty rare AFAIK.

There was an ad that kept popping up once every time I cleared my cache but that was about 2-3 weeks ago I think.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I use adblock because my time is worth more than yours, or so I like to think, and I only use it because of the popup ads. Forcing me to spend time closing those annoying popup windows adds up, you know. I'll make you a deal, I'll disable adblock if you pay me for my wasted time.
Your hourly rate is what, 12 cents? Closing a pop-up takes... 1 second? Maybe 2 if you're a little slow on the mouse?

Let's say you see 1 pop-up on average, every day. You've been here for 616 days. That's 616 to 1,232 seconds spent closing ads over that 2 years. Which equates to... just over 10 to 20 mins.

We'll pay you when you accrue a full hours work.

See you in... 4 to 6 years.

R@S

Scholar
We'll pay you when you accrue a full hours work.

See you in... 4 to 6 years.
I'll send you the pay stub from my latest consultant job, I think the amount will not be what you expect. I'm feeling generous, so imagine I clicked on every ad instead, and the money you would have gotten from that as my rebated fee.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I'll send you the pay stub from my latest consultant job, I think the amount will not be what you expect. I'm feeling generous, so imagine I clicked on every ad instead, and the money you would have gotten from that as my rebated fee.
You go ahead and do that. I just loved this "my time is worth more than yours"... while posting on an internet forum... In a thread about ads... Which you don't even load.

Such precious, precious time.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Time, how much time?

d4jF63E.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom