Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

Slylandro

Scholar
Except for the "Shoot Michael [Jackson]" ad I encountered a couple days ago which for some reason forces my mouse to flicker even when it's not hovering over the ad, I haven't found anything really that annoying.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Circuitbreaker, ah... if you did it on the site, you probably got an interstitial. There's no ad on that link per se, but the interstitial code works in such a way that it will spawn one ad in 6 hours or so on ANY link on the site you click. So it'd have happened no matter what you clicked. It's just an unfortunate coincidence that it happened on the donation button (which is really a link).

Jason

chasing a bee
Click on our Google ads and get Fallout 2 for only $89.95!

But yeah, everyone should click on the Google ads as often as possible so we can keep them and hopefully get rid of the horrible talking ads, flashing "Win a 360!!" ads, Fart Button ads, nail fungus ads, and lonely singles ads some day. That shit is annoying but the Google ads are nice and pleasant. At least the Google ads seem to be game related about half the time.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
A single click per day from all the visitors of the forums would be more than enough to stick with Google ads.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
There's been 1 (one) pop-up on the boards showing every 6 hours for a couple of months now. And you've just noticed?

bryce777

Erudite
Well, you say right in your post that there are no popups and that it has been requested this be so, so that is why I reported it - if this is intentional you should have it in the post, and if not then I must have missed it and I apologize. Sorry but I don't read every post by every muttonhead here, and was just trying to help out.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
That was back when the original post was made... the pop-ups are still only on the message boards, but not on the site. There are a few posts by me in this thread explaining things as they happened.

sheek

Arbiter
Instead more of ads why don't you try to cut down the costs? Get rid of avatars, ban all embedded images etc. How much can a plain text message board cost?

I would give a donation but paypal is not letting me.

Use firefox but I'm not blocking ads, the only thing I really hate is the epileptic/flashy ones and stuff that makes sound. Please get rid of that.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
We rent a whole server, and bandwidth was never really an issue, merely how much load every site puts on the server. Throwing out all images would only make the end user's experience more dull. It wouldn't cost anyone anything less, or contribute much to overall resource usage.

As for donating, if you seriously want to donate, it can be done via bank transfer or snail mail too, so if PayPal doesn't work for you, there's nothing preventing you from using one of the other options. Just PM me for details.

As for problematic ads, as always, report what they do, along with a screenshot and a link to where they go (do this via a PM to me, so that we don't give them more free exposure here), and I'll look into it.

Can I pay to stop those interstitials, anything you want, i'll give you fucking blood if needs be. I'll pay subscription, don't care.

Seven

Erudite
I'm curious about the ads--I know you said that pop-ups and those annoying you will be redirected after a few seconds things only show up on the forums, what I've found is that if you use the links under Headlines they will occasionally pop-up/show up, is this normal?

I can't see most of the ads since I access from work and our firewalls filter most of the adsites so all I see is forbidden plastered all over the place. theres nothing I can do about this, so can I pay something to someone to have those interstitials removed. I know the whole moral dilemma about having premium accounts but you didn't ask, I did, i'm BEGGING.

corvax

Augur
Just my 2c. Those pop-ups are a real bitch. And there's definitely more than one every six hours. One of the reasons I don't frequent this place as much (I know not a big loss). Please make this site ad-free again.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
We'll make it ad-free just as soon as you transfer $1,200 USD into my bank account. That'll let us go ad-free for two years.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Seven - pop-ups are on the forums, while interstitials are on the site. So if you click on a link on the site to go to the forums, you might first see the interstitial (because you clicked on a link on the site), and then a pop-up once you're on the forums. But this is pretty rare... interstitials are practically dead now. They display for probably less than 5% of the people at this point because our advertising provider has removed all but a few interstitial campaigns from RPG Codex. I personally haven't seen one in months.

StraitLacedDeviant, on RPG Codex there is currently no system in place that would allow for individual disabling of ads... the idea to make such a system has been thrown around before, but nothing came of it.

hussar, the only way you see them more often than once every 6 hours is if your cookies are messed up or disabled. There's a precise timer in the code that's been set the same from the beginning.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Taluntain said:
But this is pretty rare... interstitials are practically dead now. They display for probably less than 5% of the people at this point because our advertising provider has removed all but a few interstitial campaigns from RPG Codex. I personally haven't seen one in months.
Whoa, I see them everyday. (media.fastclick something, always the same "Buy a screensaver" ad.) Doesn't bother me if it helps the site even a little bit.

whatusername

Scholar
baby arm said:
Click on our Google ads and get Fallout 2 for only $89.95!

But yeah, everyone should click on the Google ads as often as possible so we can keep them and hopefully get rid of the horrible talking ads, flashing "Win a 360!!" ads, Fart Button ads, nail fungus ads, and lonely singles ads some day. That shit is annoying but the Google ads are nice and pleasant. At least the Google ads seem to be game related about half the time.

If you tell people to do that, Google will put down your ads.

Wish to report those fucking intrusive drivecleaner popups that the codex has been spewing all around the place for the last couple of months. They pop all over the place, and requires at least four clicks to get rid of. Plus they install shit if you click something you shouldn't. (haven't done that yet, though) At first I thought it was my computer that was infected with some malware-shit, but I keep getting them at work and on the university-computers, and only when surfing the codex.

They come when I access the forums from the main site, and usually only once per day, or when I clean my cookies.

Here are some reports about drivecleaner:
Symantec
Counter Spy

Oh, and I'm from Norway.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Here's the holy trinity of good reports about problematic ads:

1. Take a screenshot of it.
2. See where the ad points to (target url), and copy the url.
3. Describe what the ad is doing that is problematic.

Then send me a PM with all of the above (screenshot, target url of the ad, description of why it's a problem), and I'll look into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom