Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ads on mobile site

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
On my smartphone they cover the whole screen, and there's no way to get to the "X" to close them because it always remains out of screen. Clicking the ad sometimes helps, but when it leads to an app it doesn't (open store, browser window remains unchanged)

Maybe blocking all the forum behind some gigantic banner is a deliberate attempt to improve quality?

Or maybe it's just me, in that case, well, no big deal.

Mustawd

On my smartphone they cover the whole screen, and there's no way to get to the "X" to close them because it always remains out of screen. Clicking the ad sometimes helps, but when it leads to an app it doesn't (open store, browser window remains unchanged)

Maybe blocking all the forum behind some gigantic banner is a deliberate attempt to improve quality?

Same here. I have to refresh the page.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's our way of reminding developers that post here that good design really is important.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

Which phone? Same question to anyone else with this issue, this shouldn't be happening. I'm on a S4 mini which is really "mini" by today's standards and I can always see the closing X...

Also, which browser? I can always "squeeze" the screen to reduce the size of the browser content, which should also make the ad smaller I think.

Mustawd

I'm using an Iphone 5c. Safari is the default browser, which is what I use. When it happens I can only squeeze the screen so much. It won't let me squeeze it to a size where I can see the closing X.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

Which phone? Same question to anyone else with this issue, this shouldn't be happening. I'm on a S4 mini which is really "mini" by today's standards and I can always see the closing X...

Also, which browser? I can always "squeeze" the screen to reduce the size of the browser content, which should also make the ad smaller I think.

Xiaomi Mi4 (1920x1080) on Chrome. It happens every single time. No biggie, as I can refresh, but I thought the admins would like to know their website is covered behind a giant ad.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Can you see the ads in question, that is, do they actually take that much screen space or are the ads just swimming somewhere in an oversized ad frame? Do you always see ads like that or are they sometimes proper size to close?

Mustawd

Can you see the ads in question, that is, do they actually take that much screen space or are the ads just swimming somewhere in an oversized ad frame?

I open up a page and all I can see is the ad. Takes up the whole screen. Seems to be an oversized ad frame IIRC.

Do you always see ads like that or are they sometimes proper size to close?
Hmm, I think every time an ad pop up actually appears, it's like that. Don't think I've seen a proper sized one yet.

EDIT: I'll try and do a screen capture on my phone next time.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Today it's not happening, lol.

Had been like that, consistently, for several weeks.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
A screen grab would be very helpful.

Screenshot_2016-03-12-10-28-54.png

Screenshot_2016-03-12-10-29-05.png

Scrolling doesn't work, neither does zooming. The only way to get out of this jam is to refresh the entire page.

Usually the Walking Dead ad does this too, but not today.

Mustawd

Cookie Jam!!

I'll be uploading some screenshots tomorrow. It seems to be ad specific...

Mustawd

Cookie Jam!!

I'll be uploading some screenshots tomorrow. It seems to be ad specific...

The first ad I can actually resize to see the close X (warning, very large images).

thumbnail_IMG_0458_zpsmrzlz64v.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0459_zpsnlenxicu.jpg

The second one I cannot resize:

thumbnail_IMG_0463_zpsosvtasdd.jpg

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
If anyone else is experiencing this, please post your phone model and browser name here.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I have the same thing using an LG G2 and Chrome, but I usually just ask chrome to display the desktop version of the codex and the ads aren't shown afterwards.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Quite a few Chrome reports so far, but also Safari and Opera, so this obviously isn't limited to a single browser or phone.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Our team believes that this was the result of a particular creative that has since been removed. Are you still continuing to see this issue?

ARE YOU?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
YES.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom