Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aeon of Sands: The Trail - Dungeon Crawling RPG love letter to the 90s!

PrettyDeadman

Aeon of Sands : The Trail - Dungeon Crawling RPG love letter to the worst times of the 90s!
Buying it anyway!

V_K

Arcane
I'm a complete noob with crawlers/blobbers but at first glimpse there seems to be a LOT of wasted space in the right side of the UI
It's reserved for additional party members and inventory/map panels:
HOk5EmB.png

2.jpg

1.jpg

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer

- New video!
- New magic system! Getting mana poisoning from a mundane thing such as effective spelling never seemed so easy and cruelly random! Over-cast is the new weather!
- New spell selection system, you can cast only one spell a time, but in a tidy and fashionable way!
- New audio ambient tracks, mixing melody from a shady, real-life stand-up bass with a moldy toaster and somesuch!
- Lots of somesuchs!
- Lots of unnecessary exclamation points!
- > !!!

... And I'm off again the Internets. Oh lovely Internets, it was not to be.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game has gone under my radar. Any idea when it's releasing? marcuz

Also does the other developer post here too?

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer

Thank you! Yes, we have a clear idea, but I can't divulge it until my partner gets back from his vacations in September. Florian doesn't post anywhere except on a German forum and on Twitter, he frowns upon my posting online entirely :D

But the gist is, we'll release the game THIS year.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

Thank you! Yes, we have a clear idea, but I can't divulge it until my partner gets back from his vacations in September. Florian doesn't post anywhere except on a German forum and on Twitter, he frowns upon my posting online entirely :D

Nice. Fantastic its coming out this year.

Why does your partner frown upon you posting online? If he is keeping you against your will or hurting you let us know. A member of this fine community who resides in Germany has recently lost his job and owns a maille shirt. He may be able to save you...if you're white that is.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Not too sure I like the main character being a "nap loving" sarcastic clerk, but maybe it's handled well here. The art is definitely nice though. The game is on my radar for sure.

Last edited:

Curratum

Looks great, would not have found it without the codex in Steam's stream of shitty games. Thanks, wishlisting!

Vagiel

Augur
It looks amazing. Maybe the best retro revival artstyle I have seen to date. It's more based on Amiga games like hired guns right?

Wishlisted and hopefully it plays as good as it looks.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer

Great news!

Any plans for a gog.com/drm free release (or can we get it directly from you)?

Thanks! It's too early to say, for the moment we will focus on the Steam release task (release on any game portal is a job much bigger than we anticipated, and we did anticipate kind of a large amount). I can't say past that. :)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
https://blog.aeonofsands.com/2018/09/what-is-like-to-play-aeon-of-sands.html

XUNI_A_0007.png

"Here, have some of my water - says the man under the cowl - you clearly have not packed enough to get here."

Setrani has no strength to object, and, from his curled position, half buried in the sand, accepts the water skin with a hoarse groan.

"Easy, easy... Careful not to drop it!"

Setrani peers from below at his saviour . A rover, from a city, thankfully, and not a nomad. Or else, he would probably be attached to a slave caravan, by now.

Still, a rover, a man so resilient to walk the desert, scavenging his sustenance and finding items to sell back at a city, is just slightly safer than a nomad, in his view.

Setrani nods at the man, and notices his sack. Only half empty.
"Thank you. Are you... going back?"

The man looks around. "Not yet. You are from Pantella, yes? I think I saw you there. Did they throw you out to die?"

A surge of pride in Setrani's chest overcomes his caution - "What? I'll let you know I'm an important person! I was sent out on a job! Not casted out!"

"Hah! Yes, the sand half burying you seems to disagree."

The clerk deflates, but refuses to admit that he's indeed having a terrible time at this mission.

The rover, gently pushing back his sack with his feet, continues - "No, I'll have to find something more to sell before going to the markets. There's a mine I visit when my runs are fruitless. But I don't go there gladly. Too dangerous."

He gives the clerk a look, calculating. "I could use the company."

Setrani’s mouth dries up again, considering his options. How is his death more likely today? In the open desert, with the little provisions he has, or following this man he doesn't know anything about to a, what has he called it? A mine? What's a mine?

He wishes he had not argued with Harro, the guard that was accompanying him the last few days. At the time, to send him alone to those travelling merchants seemed a good idea…
How could he possibly know they were cannibals?

Besides, the man in front of him is not a nomad, so there is that, even if there's no guarantee that he would not use him as sandcrawlers' bait. The idea hits Setrani: what is unthinkable inside a city wall is very possible out here. He's really new to these outlandish rules, but he's learning.
And if the rover would act funny, he still could probably run away. Maybe with his provisions...

The man awaits an answer.

What are the clerk's options? Whatever he chooses, he hardly will be able to retrace his steps, and the night, the very short night is coming, with all the fanged things that live in it.

Setrani must choose.

So you are asking, what is it like to play Aeon of Sands?

Well it’s like this:

You play a character that is as removed from the ambient he’s exploring as a city clerk in a dangerous desert: you know nothing about it and its customs, and you have an urge to survive.

Therefore, you make decisions while not having a clue about the consequences: your only tools to navigate the adventure are your own morals as a compass, and the order of your priorities.

• Is it your survival first and then - maybe - everybody else?
  • Is it the greater good above your needs?
  • Is it an ideal of law and civilisation that guides you, or the knowledge that nature must rightly overcome all men?
  • Or are you comforted in the idea of a brotherhood of humans, with no distinction between cities and tribes?

Whatever your path, the consequences have little to do with your skills or your statistics, and much to do with your choices, current and previous ones.

It’s more a roleplaying adventure, at its core.

And later this year 2018, you’ll be able to walk your own trail in Aeon of Sands!

Add us to your Steam wishlist to be informed when the game is out!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ooh:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/907820/announcements/detail/1682550766140163590

Aeon of Sands - A post-apocalyptic RPG coming December 4, 2018
17 OCTOBER - TWO BITS KID
Aeon of Sands - The Trail is a retro, post-apocalyptic RPG, set in a dangerously pixelated desert world that eats people, and has a taste for city clerks. - Oh, by the way, you are a city clerk. And it's lunch time.

Berlin, Germany - October 17, 2018. Two Bits Kid is proud to announce the release date of its upcoming game Aeon of Sands - The Trail, coming on December 4, 2018 for Windows and MacOS.

Features
- Extremely non-linear, replayable story with multiple endings
- Real-time combat
- 20 locations and more than 60 mazes and dungeons to explore
- More than 140 dialogues
- Completely hand-drawn 2.5D environment, 240 hand-drawn illustrations
- Up to 2 other characters can join your party during play
- Each character’s personality influences the outcome of the story, and opens up new paths

* Platforms PC: Windows | MacOSX

Available on December 4, 2018

Aeon of Sands official site and socials
- Official site: https://aeonofsands.com
- Presskit: https://aeonofsands.com/presskit
- Blog: http://blog.aeonofsands.com
- Fb: https://www.facebook.com/aeonofsands
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/aeonofsands
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv5pWton5kS8wIdSVqFY3mA

Prerelease Press Coverage
https://www.rockpapershotgun.de/tag/aeon-of-sands
“Der Dungeon-Crawler Aeon of Sands verspricht einen “Liebesbrief an die klassischen PC- und Amiga-Spiele der Neunziger...“

indieretronews.com
“An incredible looking crawler that takes us back to the golden age of grid based crawlers...”

Indiegames.com
“Aeon of Sands transplants the classic first-person RPG to the desert ruins of a lost city, brought to life through hand-drawn art and strategic combat.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom