Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Against the cult of simplicity" - Craig Stern on how the indie clique hates complex games

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Also funny how these people (Phil Phish etc) consider Japan to be "behind the times"

That's odd, i thought the hipster crowd had a Japanese fetish. Not as big as weaboos, but i thought it was there.

Japanese games being "behind the times" is actually their strength at the moment. Somebody should get one of those indie faggot devs to play a manic shooter while being filmed for our amusement. Would love to hear their screams of frustration.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
just because you like love doing something doesnt mean youre supposed to be able to make a living doing it
how unfair

It's worth trying.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
That's odd, i thought the hipster crowd had a Japanese fetish. Not as big as weaboos, but i thought it was there.

Japanese games being "behind the times" is actually their strength at the moment. Somebody should get one of those indie faggot devs to play a manic shooter while being filmed for our amusement. Would love to hear their screams of frustration.
They like copying their games while distancing themselves from those evil damsel in distress tropes. Hipsters want to have the fun gameplay of those games while also being much more than that because their games have profound messages and are "art". They like mimicking the easy to pick up, hard to master style Japanese 8/16 bit&arcade games with out the "hard to master" part. And in side scrollers with simple mechanics you need a lot of programming talent, polishing&fine tuning and good level design to make a game that's actually good, which naturally isn't there in these indy games, save for a couple of gems like Super Meat Boy.

Japan being behind the times has its downsides (stagnated franchises like Dragon Quest), but they also made most of the best non-indy games during the Xbox 360 era because of that.
Of course their greatest strength was that they kept turn based combat alive after the release of ToEE
-> Wizardry clones. Sadly none of them reach the level of later Wizardry games, but it's still great to see a game like Dark Spire (with the option for wireframe graphics) being physically released in NA.
-> SRPGs: They haven't reached their own peak of Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics/Ogre Battle 64 or the level of X-COM/JA2, but plenty of turn based tactics games were released for PS2/PS3/PSP/NDS, many experiment with quite complex and confusing new mechanics but they don't have as solid design or AI as those more grounded games like FFT and Front Mission
-> Even regular JRPGs were good at times. I haven't seen any non indy game from 2000s with as high difficulty level and as challenging dungeons as Nocturne.

At best the Japanese being behind the times has led to JRPGs like SMT Nocturne, Dark Souls and SMT Devil Survivor 2. None of those games would have got funded and physically released in the West. Nowadays it's possible to make games like that again thanks to kickstarter, but publishers still wouldn't touch games like that. They're too risky and have too high and unforgiving difficulty levels and expect too much from players (that is that they aren't idiots). And I still aren't convinced that POE or WL2 are going to have as hard and "tactically demanding" fights as DeSu2 since D:OS didn't have either, which is kinda pitiful when you take in consideration that DS2 is a budget game on a handheld console from 2004 with an art budget of around 1000 dollars.

Even outside of turn based/RPG games the Japanese being behind the times was a boon to console gaming. Manic shooters on Xbox 360, deep, competitive fighting games and the most solid 3rd person action games like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. While it was Hideo Kojima and FF7 who really ushered in the era of movie games (though Western developers tried it before that with the FMV boom of mid 90s), Japanese AA/AAA developers still made more gameplay oriented and challenging games during the last two console generations.
Brenda Romero? I thought her name was Brathwurst or something
She got tired of being mistaken for an undead MMO mob and married John Romero. Now she's become an indy game cheerleader or something like that.
How can someone of old school sensibilities survive in the industry? There just doesn't seem to be place for me outside of modding.
Team up with like minded individuals and make a game worth playing. No need to have gimmicks, but if you make the kind of game that many people have always wanted to see (like a proper cyberpunk CRPG), being different from the crowd sells the game for you if the mechanics and content are solid. Hell, you don't have to innovate at all if you can recreate a classic gaming experience people have been longing to get for years. Many are still waiting for a game that would top X-Com or Master of Orion 2. And like wise many would pay a lot of money for a proper Wizardry sequel and not just the old ones rehashed with anime characters. Though if you're working with just a couple of guys and no budget, it's unlikely that you can deliver a game that massive and deep. Hence the title of this thread. That's why most indy developers stick with making simple games (or rogue-likes if they make more mechanically complex games).

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
As I walked up the seemingly infinite staircase, it occurred to me that life is just a series of stairs, one after another, each elevating you a little above where you used to be, and then I remembered grandma's cooking. Who knew such delicacy could be made from a CHILD'S LIVER
That wasn't bad, actually. If they at least managed to get at that level, indie games would be quite a bit better.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
How does this deserve attention? This is basically a throwback to procedural generation-based screensavers of the 90ies - like Pipes on Windows, or idk wat on Mac (okay that was actually pretty cool, it procedurally generated various planet landshafts bit by bit, pretty cool to look at). This isn't new, I don't see why indie scene should support this throwback to yesteryear.

Because a majority of indie developers can't bang two braincells together to come up with a good idea, so they choose the safer bet of mining the past for good ideas.

While I have no problem with mining the past in order to make games, I do wish that indie devs would stop going only skin deep in their efforts.

And I wouldn't mind if someone made a modern-day version of the Johnny Castaway screensaver.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Team up with like minded individuals and make a game worth playing.

Finding such people is a problem. The net is the best place to find a team yet working digitally is not ideal.

No need to have gimmicks, but if you make the kind of game that many people have always wanted to see (like a proper cyberpunk CRPG), being different from the crowd sells the game for you if the mechanics and content are solid. Hell, you don't have to innovate at all if you can recreate a classic gaming experience people have been longing to get for years. Many are still waiting for a game that would top X-Com or Master of Orion 2. And like wise many would pay a lot of money for a proper Wizardry sequel and not just the old ones rehashed with anime characters. Though if you're working with just a couple of guys and no budget, it's unlikely that you can deliver a game that massive and deep. Hence the title of this thread. That's why most indy developers stick with making simple games (or rogue-likes if they make more mechanically complex games).

I'd like to make a complex-ish side scroller ARPG like Symphony of the Night with some western design principles thrown in. Would be large scope for indie but not insanely large.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Brenda Romero? I thought her name was Brathwurst or something
She got tired of being mistaken for an undead MMO mob and married John Romero. Now she's become an indy game cheerleader or something like that.

She's a MILF if I've seen one, but too old to be a cheerleader.

Also what does she do in gaming except writing manuals? She's becoming the Paris Hilton of gaming, famous, but nobody knows why.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Tags: Aterdux Entertainment; Craig Stern; Legends of Eisenwald; Sinister Design

Yesterday, the developers of Legends of Eisenwald published a new developer diary blog post on their site. The main topic of the post was their attempt to apply to this year's IndieCade. In case you didn't know, IndieCade is an annual indie games festival, described on Wikipedia as "the video game industry's Sundance", which is "focused on innovation and artistry in interactive media, helping to create a public perception of games as rich, diverse, artistic, and culturally significant". Here's how it went down:

In the beginning of the summer we applied with our game to IndieCade. We didn’t have many hopes to start with. Looking at the screenshots that are published on Facebook page of this festival one could think that indie games for them are almost exclusively pixel art, simple mechanics and other attributes of modern pop-culture. So, the response we were not selected for the final part did not surprise us. To the standard response there were attached a few sentences of a juror or a few of them:

"I kind of don’t get it… When the game is defined as a “classic old school RPG with tactical turn-based battles, simple economic model” why would you enter it in indiecade?"

"It seems weird to me, with no hook, no novelty and no tutorial, the game feels… Well, like a 90s game. It’s a “classic, yes, but “old school” doesn’t have to mean “old”."​

"This game is an impressive technical achievement! Indiecade however looks for games that innovate in design or other categories, and Legends of Eisenwald is largely a worthy but loyal recreation of a well-trodden category."​

I don't see anything particularly wrong with this, as long as IndieCade is upfront about the kinds of games they are interested in looking at. The real downside is if a narrowly focused organisation like IndieCade (and IGF seems mostly interested in the same stuff) comes to represent indies at large.

Perhaps we need a new festival for competently built indiegames that are about systems and mechanics instead of feels.
Well now they are upfront as the 5 guys threads outed the dirty laundry that if you aren't apart of the indie clique, then your game won't be looked at and it has to already have business dealings with some indie publisher blah blah blah.

Tags: Aterdux Entertainment; Craig Stern; Legends of Eisenwald; Sinister Design

Yesterday, the developers of Legends of Eisenwald published a new developer diary blog post on their site. The main topic of the post was their attempt to apply to this year's IndieCade. In case you didn't know, IndieCade is an annual indie games festival, described on Wikipedia as "the video game industry's Sundance", which is "focused on innovation and artistry in interactive media, helping to create a public perception of games as rich, diverse, artistic, and culturally significant". Here's how it went down:

In the beginning of the summer we applied with our game to IndieCade. We didn’t have many hopes to start with. Looking at the screenshots that are published on Facebook page of this festival one could think that indie games for them are almost exclusively pixel art, simple mechanics and other attributes of modern pop-culture. So, the response we were not selected for the final part did not surprise us. To the standard response there were attached a few sentences of a juror or a few of them:

"I kind of don’t get it… When the game is defined as a “classic old school RPG with tactical turn-based battles, simple economic model” why would you enter it in indiecade?"

"It seems weird to me, with no hook, no novelty and no tutorial, the game feels… Well, like a 90s game. It’s a “classic, yes, but “old school” doesn’t have to mean “old”."​

"This game is an impressive technical achievement! Indiecade however looks for games that innovate in design or other categories, and Legends of Eisenwald is largely a worthy but loyal recreation of a well-trodden category."​

I don't see anything particularly wrong with this, as long as IndieCade is upfront about the kinds of games they are interested in looking at. The real downside is if a narrowly focused organisation like IndieCade (and IGF seems mostly interested in the same stuff) comes to represent indies at large.

Perhaps we need a new festival for competently built indiegames that are about systems and mechanics instead of feels.

Perhaps we also need clearer terminology, where "indie game" means what it should mean (independently produced/published, regardless of genre) and "experimental game"/"conceptual game"/"art game" can be used to define that other bullshit.
It has been clear terminology that indie games always been a smaller development team with a miniscule budget with heavily reliance on word of mouth and now smart marketing. Really it is the new hipsters that are changing the term adding art crap similar to the SJW's trying to change the term gamers which is harder since people identified themselves as one far longer then the indie scene which came out strong in 2011 or sometime around then.

Knut

Educated
i'll just quote myself here again:

"he has a point to a certain extent. indie does not equal to art or innovation, it is simply a resource/budget designation. they still have to take market into account as well make a product- a big difference from artistic artifact. this is also a big problem in indie industry (as implied), the lack of distinction between independent developer and artistic games, meaning there should be 3 big market divisions not the binary system that is almost meaningless now.

i agree there is a lack of support for indie games as a business practice, but festival format is adopted from film, and as such it SHOULD tend toward artistic and innovative practices that will later find their more consistent (read: polished with bigger budget) application in the industry. so from this standpoint i think purely commercial indie games should be niche in festivals like indiecade (mostly as a showcase of achievable technical work that preferably still carries some quality outside of mainstream). the problem is denomination, i'm all up for leaving indies what is indie and start adopting terms like "auteur and art games" for truly independent, auteristic and experimental games that evolve the media. so to make long story short, i think his butthurt is understandable but largely misplaced.

the part where he is correct and bothers me more is this schizophrenic speech of "be innovative by following these simple five rules", which is doing favors to no one, because it lacks the correct audience. If you making an art game leaning heavily on vision and experiment, you cannot count on commercial success and should be careful with application of formulas. if my intention is to gather audience and make games a profitable business i have to lean on formulas more to ensure some degree of success, and originality should be a lower priority on my list, i'm probably even better off copying mechanisms that have proven to work and have potential. so both sides are losing from making compromises, making a half-product that lack focus.
but also IMO no one can predict the market and success of a product if you lack the sufficient funds and even then it is uncertain. the emphasized criteria of innovation also seems redundant leftover from modernity, but videogames have began emancipating only recently so it will blows off eventually. the truth is, the good product HAS a formula and it is usually a good practice to balance out comforting familiarity with original content with awareness to whom the work is intented for AND what does the designer himself expect from it. but works that push things forward have to risk more, a thing hard to to in expensive business such as videogames.

videogames are still searching for their proper place in culture and it shows."

anyway, i think hipsters, artists and experimental "interactive experiences", as gromit puts it, are essential for industry as a whole, since it will benefit from the ideas that are good. indies will always have their place and will keep on making crpgs amog other things.

Knut

Educated

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Hahaha, is this thing for real?
:what:
I mean, do people pay for this abomination? Prosper is a better ''game developer'' than this.

o'reilly made two excellent short animated films and this is kind of expected.
it is questionable whether this is game but i find idea interesting, nice and maybe a bit ironical. and 1.00$ is not much.
You spelled Kunt wrong.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
What does the game actually consist of, in detail? I refuse to spend my time deciphering the marketing BS and watch the videos to see if there is actually something interesting to be found.
They say don't judge a book by it's cover but for fuck's sake...call me jaded but I sense the decline. Is there really no interactivity at all?

If we could shove all of the non-interactive/walking-sims/screensavers shit out of the game category and into the film category, that'd be fantastic.

Knut

Educated
it is questionable whether this is game but i find idea interesting
I fail to see an ''idea'' there. Can you elaborate?

i did not buy/"play" it so i'm concluding out of my ass, but i dare say i have some experience to make a try. anyway -> the idea is to convey an atmosphere of a time passing and changing with you having no influence over it (no interactivity, basically a screensaver as jagged appliance puts it). since you actually "experience" it over longer periods of time, symbolic object like a mountain can convey a strong feeling of one's placelessness and insignificance in greater order of thing. this naturally leads to further self-reflection without any obvious conclusion, so the speculation (and soul-searching) can go on indefinitely. the most banal things can have most profound effect when studied long enough (fragment reflects a whole). that is not to say you should experience it like that.
also, judging from his previous work it also might have a dose of irony, what you are mocking right now, putting a great meaning and meditating over some pretty rotating screensaver, and calling it a game.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Can we send Kojima with them?

At least his games are half movie half game, and the gameplay itself has a fair bit of depth.
Honestly he's one of few designers that go for a "cinematic" experience that I am accepting of. Sadly he sparked inspiration in others to follow, yet they do so rather pathetically.
Games can go fora cinematic experience, or be reliant on a gimmick, or be artsy-fartsy "deep", or even be dumbed down to appeal to people who do not invest in games, but these games shouldn't fucking dominate the industry. How did it become acceptable for gaming as a whole to not be about the gameplay, and acceptable for those that do feature gameplay to consist of mindless shit?

Stokowski

Arcane
535JfCj.jpg

TheGreatOne

Arcane
"Art horror" "Relax em up"
So they're putting themselves in the same category as Silent Hill 2 and I have no Mouth and trying to make their game sound a bit like one of the most game play heavy game genres

Perkel

Arcane
Frankly i would want to see indie game show where to enter you would need to have game that:

- is fucking game (no dear eshter and other pseudo bullshit games)
- is longer than 15 hours
- doesn't have anything to do with fighting with social issues
- it is PC only

That would cut 90% of bullshit and would leave us with actual games you could actually play.

Instead you have winner Gone Home which last for 3-4 hours and only thing you remember about it is that they made fucking game about being lesbian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom