Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Conan

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Anyone here planning on playing it? I had lost hope on it after the beta weekend but my brother bought the game and it looks like it's come a long way since then. I'll probably be playing starting next week so if anyone's interested just let me know.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ofcourse it does silly, it's a high profile MMO.
I'm giving it a few weeks. Reactions from friends have been quite positive. But Mass Effect is coming next week, so I'm just waiting.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I've been playing it for a while now.

It will be interesting to hear what people think.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Castanova said:
If you've been playing it for a while, why don't you let us know what YOU think?

Because I did some writing for the game and it wouldn't be very codexian of me to promote a product that I worked on.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
The player base is moronic, but the game seems to be pretty cool. I had to sit and listen to 5 people talk about how fucking 'beastly' it was going to be when they were out of school for the summer so they could 'have no life,' and 'bring out the rape' with their Dark Templar for over an hour. I have an extremely hard time believing that the player base comprises of people over the age of 17, either that or 17 year olds are dumber than I remember.

Bad player base = bad game when it comes to these shitball time sinks. I'm playing because a friend bought me a copy of the game and I get to ride on the coat tails of his lifeless ass as he moves through and rounds up a huge guild etc.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, I once played WoW and the shitty playerbase made it awesomely hilarious. Especially when I played together with friends from other forums and from real life. And when we joined into a party that was led by a retard. WoW made me meet the most retarded person on this planet. He didn't know jack shit about tactics, about how to do stuff, acted extremely stupid in *every* situation, attacked a mighty boss creature while we were discussing tactics, and when we decided to tell him he's an incest-child he didn't even fucking know what incest is.

That's when I found out that a stupid playerbase in MMORPGs can be absolutely wonderful.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
rant EDIT: short version - I uninstalled AoC, and am installing WoW, because it reminded me of everything that WoW did right.

Raapys

Arcane
I got into the early access, and since I had alot of spare time on my hands I'm now a level 45 barbarian.

There are things I don't like in the game, although the stuff shihonage mentions is not part of it; the appearance and usability of the game, the UI and the characters are acceptable to me. Not great, but perfectly playable.

My main complaint is valid for most MMORPGs really; they're all using level based systems. In my opinion skill-based systems, like the one in Anarchy Online or the old version of SWG, are alot better. As said though, most all MMORPGs are using level-based systems these days, dumbing down for the masses, so it wasn't unexpected.

Anyway, the game is...fun. As a barbarian, the hyped combat system really is great to play around with. Going around and killing stuff feels good. And other than that the game is pretty similar to other MMORPGs, so it doesn't really lose or gain any points in that regard. Well, except for the quests, which are usually more fun than quests found in other games of this kind, although don't expect much C&C.

Have yet to try the PVP aspect of the game, though.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
shihonage said:
I played a little bit of AoC (just got into multiplayer portion), and I'm going to uninstall it today. The game's user interface is absolutely atrocious, the people don't fit in with scenery and the spells don't fit in with people.

Even the spell charge bar is TEXTURED like a goddamn carpet. It's not clean-looking. Nothing is. They textured it because they COULD. Everything important looks indistinctive, everything unimportant screams for your attention.

Everyone runs around with stock 3D studio 3d arrows rotating around them, the minions look weak and ugly, talent screen has no permanent text labels, and despite the character customization, something about the renderer ensures that you never get close enough for long enough to someone else to see how they're different and unique, so in the end, everyone really looks the same.

They learned ZERO from LOTRO and Hellgate London. Just like LOTRO its hard to tell NPCs from players at a glance, for instance, and just like Hellgate, the talent screen and inventory are a mess.

It's not something that can be fixed with patches. It's a sum of all decisions that were put into the game over its 5-year development cycle, and it's spread into the quests, the renderer, everything.

For another glimpse at this idiocy - during the character creation, you have to select from several voices. They all sound like the same guy yelling different things. How are you supposed to compare if they're all completely different... yet the same ?

It's the game I would've designed if I was 16 years old and did not listen to feedback from anyone else.

The melee 3-directional gimmick is just a gimmick, IMO. In the end, I suspect WoW's level-capped warrior is more strategic and fun than AoC's equivalent at its level cap.

UI may not be perfect but it suits the purpose. It certainly doesn't get in the way of playing, as you seem to think. And I believe using the options menu will get rid of almost *all* of the things you are complaining about.

About the minions looking weak and ugly...again, while I'm sure it is just an opinion I'd like for you to post a sceenshot of *any* mmo at level 5 where you have better looking minions than in Age of Conan. Any game for that matter.

As for the melee, I guess being a level five mage class (I assume mage because you speak of minions), must give you the right to compare the melee system to a level capped warrior in WoW.

Frankly, I think it's fine if people don't like the game but anyone actually who plays the game will realise that you are simply talking crap shihonage.

Shannow

Waster of Time
bylam, do you have any information on whether they will implement a trial period, 6 - 12 days perhaps?
It is extremely impropable that I'll ever pay a subscription for a game but I'm actually very interested in this one. Whithout trying it first though it'll stay a no no.

mahdi

Liturgist
I saw this game in Best Buy the other day. I tried to take a picture with my camera-phone, but it wouldn't fit in the frame because the box is so gargantuan.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Shannow said:
bylam, do you have any information on whether they will implement a trial period, 6 - 12 days perhaps?
It is extremely impropable that I'll ever pay a subscription for a game but I'm actually very interested in this one. Whithout trying it first though it'll stay a no no.

There are buddy keys and I'm sure they will implement a free trial in the future sometime.

But from what I have heard it won't be during the launch month simply because they don't want to take away server performance from paying customers.

Shihonage, have you actually tried using the options menu? I'm telling you that for example your "Everyone runs around with stock 3D studio 3d arrows rotating around them" can be turned off there.

Anyway, I think people who play the game will disagree with your brief assessment. Especially with regards to the combat system and mages.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Just look at the Bioshock - it came out, everyone was drooling, and I pointed out on another forum that it was rather dull, and a step backward in FPS gameplay. I went into factual detail as to why. Everyone shunned me until a few months later the "Bioshock backlash" started happening over the Internet.

Hero of the Internet. :salute:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Naked Ninja said:
Just look at the Bioshock - it came out, everyone was drooling, and I pointed out on another forum that it was rather dull, and a step backward in FPS gameplay. I went into factual detail as to why. Everyone shunned me until a few months later the "Bioshock backlash" started happening over the Internet.

Hero of the Internet. :salute:

I didn't cause the backlash

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
What class would you guys say is the least played right now? I having trouble deciding my own and I have this small compulsion to play underpopulated classes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom