Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Conan

sqeecoo

Arcane
So is this game worth playing? Is it true that it emphasizes players skill over items in PvP? Does it have any advantages over wow? Can it be played casually (I haven't heard a lot about instances)? And which character would you recommend?

Thanks for the tips :)

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Guys, this is Something Awful we're talking about. It's all fake, and they did a really good job of faking it, too.

sqeecoo

Arcane
the company "can confirm that some of the female models in the game have had the size of their breasts changed. This is due to an unintended change." The team is "working on a fix for this and your breasts should be back to normal soon."

Hahaha

sabishii

Arbiter
My Bear Shaman is 56. They better add in the new content VERY SOON because I have to goddamn grind every half level since 54.

Also, Anti-Prison Protest

Hello I am Clarine you may no me from World of Warcraft Darkspear server
Or Vanguard you may no me as beastsauce, Or in eq2 You may no me as reigninblood From homicide nagafen server. Well anyways none of that matters other wise i wouldent have even been here playing this game. I rolled here hoping this game could put all the fun i had in all the other previous MMOS i played. Together making it the best mmo exp. For those of you from games like Daoc and eq the old school hardcore games. I know you don't want to have this game watered down like all the others you have tried. Knowing that skill in pvp gave you and your guild a name. Griefers like the revered Merciless Midgets of talon zek http://www.geocities.com/wazu_tz/. Built a name for themselves there and in all the mmos they played. And other guilds. Like ebonlore. and so on.
For those of you Who played eq2 And got the rank of master. made your name for you and you whole group For those of us who played nagafen remember the Qeynos guild Homicide and the members that forever placed a mark on that server like twelvegauge darkemeat applesauce and others. I am a greifer im not gunna lie i call myself a proud merciless midget and forever will. But thats not what this is about this is about Keeping this game like All the other mmos when they release all the real pvpers that are good are revered and evereyone nos them. not to no them as a jail plagued *******.

I swear, I've never met a group of people that sound more retarded than those on these PVP servers. They make WoW/Bnet/FPS kiddies seem normal.

sabishii

Arbiter
Oh god, Tessera:

Hello to Funcom. I've been a member of this community for about two years now, so I thought I might do something which is rare for me: an offer to create something special for you and for everyone who plays and enjoys AoC.

I would like to suggest that the female character models in AoC be completely re-textured. The current skin textures are passable... but they could use quite a bit of improvement.

I am known as "Tessera" in the modding community and my work has been featured in many places, including the May issue of PC Action magazine (Germany). An interview with me is also featured on their official website. I've been a texture artist for years and my specialty is producing extremely high-quality female characters.

My texture modifications are used by thousands upon thousands of gamers around the world... in such games as TES4: Oblivion, Hellgate: London, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and several others. You can see samples of my work, including in-game demonstration videos, on my personal website (link is in my signature). Just click on the "Gallery" button from our main page (adults only, please).

I would like to offer my talents and abilities to Funcom for free. My credentials are solid and I always deliver top-quality work. I enjoy this game and I would simply like to see its characters looking more realistic and impressive. If you would be interested in having me take a look at the textures for your female character models, then feel free to contact me at:

tessera@tessmage.com

If you would rather decline my offer, then I understand and I thank you for taking the time to read this post.

All my best,

- Tessera -

Two things:

(1) The color of the areola can be damned near anything on a light-skinned woman. If you prefer pink, then that's great... but there are millions of lily-white human females who have very dark nipples in this world. It is not at all unusual. My suggestion would be to browse through one of Playboy's websites and take a look at a wide selection of Playmates. You will see virtually every color combination imaginable.

(2) On my end, the choice of color is important in a game that uses the same base textures for ALL of the different races and skintones. If you make the nipple too light colored, then it will look freakish on a dark-skinned character. However, it is not hard to find light-skinned women with dark areolas, thus the most neutral color choice is a darker versus a lighter shade. Either that, or create a separate color map and further complicate the project.

I hope that explanation made sense to you. We need to make certain concessions, due to the way textures are rendered and shaded in various video games. There is not a separate texture for each and every color variation that the user selects. The engine simply re-tints the base texture upon rendering it, which is how you obtain different skintones in the final result. The base texture itself actually looks rather orange (or sometimes yellow) in most games. It doesn;t look like that on your screen, however, because it is being shaded and rendered depending upon various user-selected settings.

All of my skins are checked and then double-checked against real women before I release them, to make sure that they appear as natural as possible. That's a promise. Remember that you are not looking at a photograph. You are looking at a multi-layed base texture which may be rendered in any number of shades by the engine itself. The only way to make it look 100% photorealistic would be to create one texture set for one skintone and another texture set for another skintone. Or, you could simply impose a single skintone upon the players... and remove any choice on their part during character creation. Neither of those choices is acceptable, so when we create skin textures, we need to take all of those variables into account and then do our best to strike a happy medium. That is how the best final results are achieved.

- Tessera -

Nedrah

Erudite
So, anyone willing to hook me up with a buddy key? I understand that equals free trial, right?

sqeecoo

Arcane
Nedrah said:
So, anyone willing to hook me up with a buddy key? I understand that equals free trial, right?

Sure, when they activate them I'll give you one. (feel free to remind me at that point if I forget)

DarkUnderlord said:
So is this game any good?

It's ok, a quite fun multiplayer game with solid (although somewhat buggy) combat, an atmospheric (but by no means "deep" or well written) world and great graphics.

sabishii

Arbiter
They're not activated yet.

It's ok, a quite fun multiplayer game with solid (although somewhat buggy) combat, an atmospheric (but by no means "deep" or well written) world and great graphics.
Yeah, most of the game is just standard MMORPG fare, but the combat is interactive enough to make playing a lot less of a grind. I suppose AoC's quests are also much better written than, say, WoW's quests. I would say that if you bought it and played for the free month, the experience would be similar to playing a decent action RPG. You have a bunch of decently written sidequests - the first 20 levels especially a good story arc, an engaging combat system, and actually I think that the leveling speed for the majority of the curve may not be much slower than Diablo II's.

Now, whether it's worthwhile to play after the free month (or whenever you hit 80) is a question harder to answer. I myself am waiting for the Siege PVP. That's my main draw - besides my friends also playing - because I've always wanted to play as a participant in a huge battle. Now, if Mount & Blade were multiplayer...

sabishii

Arbiter
Edit: Nevermind, apparently Battlekeep-owners can siege other BKs. Good times. Except for the fact that sieges are still boring as fuck.

Blank-Picard_Facepalm.jpg

Lesifoere

Liturgist
"I am engaged to a goddess."

"I don't give a damn about seeing boobies, but mature sexual interplay between players and NPC would definitely give the game the greater depth I think it was striving more in making it Mature in the first place."

"This game was never meant for adults, and there will never be a game that has what the mature player wants, because business trumps ideals."

Hmm. Naked breasts = ideals?

sabishii

Arbiter
http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=125447
My character is a Stygian female. She often hangs around in Bubshur when she's not hunting. She is almost always nude, with some decorations on her body. And on at least a dozen occasions, some nitwit RP wanna-be has stopped and asked me out of character why my character is naked.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=124696
There has been a raging debate ever since this game was launched, regarding the mature content in AoC or more accurately, the ways in which that content has slowly been being censored and/or phased out entirely. Many people have been threatening to quit, as a direct result of that censorship. Quite a few already have.

I have been thinking of one possible alternative...

How about an adults-only premium server..?

Back in the old days of EverQuest, SOE launched a premium server. They called it their "Legends" server and it cost two or three times the normal monthly fee if you wanted to play on that server. The extra-high monthly fee was justified, because it paid for the extra staff and the premium content that was ONLY available on that server. In other words, we paid more to get more.

I was a member of that premium server, back in 2003 up until early 2004. I loved it, to be honest. I didn't mind paying extra for the better service, the special content and all of the other extras that one should expect for a premium price tag. It was money well spent, so far as I was concerned.

The Escapist does Age of ConanThe criticism's not very accurate; that your character is the "chosen one" is the least concern, if a concern at all... But it's still funny and after watching it I'm half-convinced to agree with him.

Balor

Arcane
Anyone still playing it? Any improvements?
I've played WoW on a personally setup server with higher rates - it was quite on par with any H&S ARPG, I daresay even better, especially with reduced grind... how does AoC compare to that? I heard it's 'single-player' component is pretty strong?

Data4

Arcane
Okay, so I bought the game on a lark today, but I haven't opened the box yet. I want to maintain the ability to return it pending this one last call for opinions. Are any of you still playing? How's the game now after having been out for several months?

sabishii

Arbiter
Don't open it. I quit after I got bored in the endgame. So, what do they do to rectify this problem? By putting in a new mid-level area, of course!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom