Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Conan

Data4

Arcane
So I got 1 don't, 1 do, and 1 don't with this caveat:

sabishii said:
Don't open it. I quit after I got bored in the endgame. So, what do they do to rectify this problem? By putting in a new mid-level area, of course!

Honestly, I'm not big on endgame. I enjoy the getting there more. Every MMO I've played has been this way. I don't give a shit about PvP and I'm too antisocial to try to get involved in raiding guilds. I just like the challenge of soloing and I actually enjoy levelling as long as it's not 100% grind. So, before you petered out at the end, how did you like the process of getting there?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I got sold into the first 20 levels, before the immersion of being in a 10000BC universe with bloodthirsty humans and demons wore off. The game felt...well, like a game. It doesn't give you a sense of imershun that even Anarchy Online had. The NPCs are just boring. Solo-ing is fun until you realise that the majesty and beauty of places described of Robert E Howard just doesn't apply to the game - dungeons look boring (not dark/grim as the stories suggest), the majesty of Aquilonia quickly wears off once you realise how claustrophobic the city is

Strong no, don't open

sabishii

Arbiter
Data4 said:
So I got 1 don't, 1 do, and 1 don't with this caveat:

sabishii said:
Don't open it. I quit after I got bored in the endgame. So, what do they do to rectify this problem? By putting in a new mid-level area, of course!

Honestly, I'm not big on endgame. I enjoy the getting there more. Every MMO I've played has been this way. I don't give a shit about PvP and I'm too antisocial to try to get involved in raiding guilds. I just like the challenge of soloing and I actually enjoy levelling as long as it's not 100% grind. So, before you petered out at the end, how did you like the process of getting there?
Hm well actually it was pretty fun. The twitchy combat system makes fighting mob after mob somewhat interactive, in that I was neither getting annoyed nor getting sleepy. It got grindy for me, but the new area should take care of that problem until the very end.

But honestly if I wanted to solo level, and not care at all about end-game, I'd rather play a single-player game.

Data4

Arcane
sabishii said:
But honestly if I wanted to solo level, and not care at all about end-game, I'd rather play a single-player game.

Eh, different strokes, I guess. I tend to treat these games as if they ARE singleplayer games, unless and until I absolutely have to find help to complete a quest. LOTRO and even WoW have been fun to solo, and I figure AoC might be the same. Most of the criticism I've seen has been wrt PvP, aside from the launch issues. PvP isn't my thing, so... :shrug: If I can get a couple of months enjoyment out of it, the subscription isn't going to break me.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Data4 said:
sabishii said:

Eh, different strokes, I guess. I tend to treat these games as if they ARE singleplayer games, unless and until I absolutely have to find help to complete a quest. LOTRO and even WoW have been fun to solo, and I figure AoC might be the same. Most of the criticism I've seen has been wrt PvP, aside from the launch issues. PvP isn't my thing, so... :shrug: If I can get a couple of months enjoyment out of it, the subscription isn't going to break me.

Consider playing Wowhammer instead. I despised MMO's, but I'm playing WAR for over a month now. I'm a sucker for its setting - good ol' Warhammer, not some "my little pony" shit. I solo most of the game (the games features a "you may be a chosen one" plot - at least the Chaos campaign), only occasionally banding to do a PQ or defend/storm a keep. You can always jump into a scenario when you want a medieval deathmatch. The PvE and PvP aspect are kinda "parallel" - you can just forget about one and do the other.

The game is unfinished though - lots of things are only partially implemented etc. - but it's doesn't bug me so much because of the amount of things that are finished. The only shitty feature I can think about now is the game's performance - sometimes lags as hell, crashes etc.

made

Arcane
Depends how much you paid for it, I guess. Is it in the bargain bin yet? Full price would be too much considering how shit it supposedly gets after the introductorysingle-player part.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
bozia2012 said:
Data4 said:
sabishii said:

Consider playing Wowhammer instead. I despised MMO's, but I'm playing WAR for over a month now. I'm a sucker for its setting - good ol' Warhammer, not some "my little pony" shit. I solo most of the game (the games features a "you may be a chosen one" plot - at least the Chaos campaign), only occasionally banding to do a PQ or defend/storm a keep. You can always jump into a scenario when you want a medieval deathmatch. The PvE and PvP aspect are kinda "parallel" - you can just forget about one and do the other.

The game is unfinished though - lots of things are only partially implemented etc. - but it's doesn't bug me so much because of the amount of things that are finished. The only shitty feature I can think about now is the game's performance - sometimes lags as hell, crashes etc.

Wowhammer is definately more World of warcraft than warhammer.

sabishii

Arbiter
bozia2012 said:
Data4 said:
sabishii said:

I think soloing was a lot more fun in AoC than in WAR though. Unless you like to PVP in teams, in which case jumping into scenarios in WAR make leveling a lot more fun.

Data4

Arcane
Well, I just got to level 21 and am just about ready to leave the Barachan Isles area. Just have a couple more things to take care of in the ACCHHHeron Ruins and some cannibals to deal with in the Underhalls. So far, I'm enjoying it, but I'm having a bad feeling about entering the gameworld at large.

Would I be correct in guessing that the Tortage part of the game has been all gussied up to get you started, but once you hit the mainland, it all turns to shit? I'm thinking details like full spoken dialogue are only unique to the islands...

Anyway, it reminds me of a cross between NWN2*, Guild Wars, and a little bit of WoW so far.

*Mainly the "cinematic" dialogues. There are no skill checks or C&C in the dialogue, but the presentation is refreshing for an MMO.

sabishii

Arbiter
Data4 said:
Well, I just got to level 21 and am just about ready to leave the Barachan Isles area. Just have a couple more things to take care of in the ACCHHHeron Ruins and some cannibals to deal with in the Underhalls. So far, I'm enjoying it, but I'm having a bad feeling about entering the gameworld at large.

Would I be correct in guessing that the Tortage part of the game has been all gussied up to get you started, but once you hit the mainland, it all turns to shit? I'm thinking details like full spoken dialogue are only unique to the islands...

Anyway, it reminds me of a cross between NWN2*, Guild Wars, and a little bit of WoW so far.

*Mainly the "cinematic" dialogues. There are no skill checks or C&C in the dialogue, but the presentation is refreshing for an MMO.
Your predictions are pretty much correct. And there is no more personal set storyline (just a few "main" quests every 10 levels), just bunches of typical MMO sidequests.

Phalanx01

Novice
AoC is entertaining enough... as long as you don't ding lvl 80. And don't mind the legion of bugs, the performance issues, occasional crashes, crummy pet AI, dimwwit GMs, crummy NPC AI overall, boring missions (save for a few rare ones) and naturally a lot of immature dumbass players that just have to bother you every 2 minutes.

Only time you're actually gonna see a lot of ppl is around lvl 80 when everyone is camping out in Kheshetta. I just hope you're not on a PvP server...

Seboss

Liturgist
Phalanx01 said:
*insert any MMORPG here* is entertaining enough... as long as you don't ding lvl 80. And don't mind the legion of bugs, the performance issues, occasional crashes, crummy pet AI, dimwwit GMs, crummy NPC AI overall, boring missions (save for a few rare ones) and naturally a lot of immature dumbass players that just have to bother you every 2 minutes.
Fixed ?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Phalanx01 said:
AoC is entertaining enough... as long as you don't ding lvl 80.

What is entertaining about running around and killing stuff? I always thought the whole purpose of a MMORPG was to make it as hard and boring as possible to reach the maximum level, so that only a few select ones actually perform some cool stuff. Then I was teached that the way actually is the goal.

Phalanx01

Novice
Servermerger is just to bring the fanbois together really. So they can keep telling eachother how "AWESOMELY L33T" the game is.

And if anyone is actually gonna try it out: Don't go to a RP server, a lot of spooky types running around there with some sick and perverted minds... not that anything is wrong with that but apparently the GMs themselves tend to bother people for cybersex...

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
:necro:

After seeing bozia2012's screenshots in the screenshot thread I got a bit interested about maybe trying this thing out again. I remember being super excited about the game before it came out, then trying it out during a PvP beta weekend and dropping all interest due to the combat feeling utterly horrible.

Have things changed during the years to make it worth playing? Is their F2P model complete bullshit?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Aside from expansion not being available unless you subscribe, even if you OWN said expansion by buying it at some point, vanilla game is pretty much available all-around with regular limitations like currency cap, character slots, etc. They even unlocked all the classes for F2P at some point after conversion. Real problem is that AoC is obviously running on skeleton crew, as evident by losing a lead designer recently, and adding shit like achievements is apparently more important than crafting overhaul that's been in the works since forever. They're adding a raid finder soon™.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
:necro:

After seeing bozia2012's screenshots in the screenshot thread I got a bit interested about maybe trying this thing out again. I remember being super excited about the game before it came out, then trying it out during a PvP beta weekend and dropping all interest due to the combat feeling utterly horrible.

Have things changed during the years to make it worth playing? Is their F2P model complete bullshit?
Well, stuff have changed since 2008.

The combat system is the same (directional shields, collisions, combos etc.), but since 2009 the gear makes a big difference and players don't go down as fast - the whole stat system has changed. To progress you need better gear, though much of that can be covered by skill and know-how (there's almost no artificial stat gating).

Can't tell much about PvP because last time I checked (2013) it was a massive mats farm to get OP gear and sieges were barely playable (yet an epic experience!).

There's a ton of new content, you can level without repeating anything. The vanilla content is mostly untouched (half-assed models/textures are still halfassed), though there are additional quests tied to expansions (which are glorious).

I'm not sure about dungeons, but all the vanilla content is free.

Game is dying since I can remember, still seeing the same people playing it.

Something draws people to the game. I took a long break, but it wasn't long before I started wanting to get back (TSW lacks that epicness and sexiness). I'm wandering now, taking pics and rediscovering how great this game world is. If I'll get back to playing, I'll just to see all that cool stuff again.

Unless you have limited bandwidth, nothing costs you to dl and play for a few weeks and decide for yourself.

Ultimately, there's no other Conan game with such great world and art design.

EDIT: FFS ITS F2P WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mne, might as well give it a go I guess.

And well, there's F2Play and then there's F2Pay.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'll just post it here until we know more for another thread.
http://www.funcom.com/news/funcom_and_conan_properties_enter_new_partnership

Funcom is excited to announce that the company has entered into an agreement with Conan Properties, making it the preferred partner for all PC and console games based on the 'Conan the Barbarian' brand and the world of Hyboria. The two companies have already enjoyed a long and prosperous relationship, having successfully brought to market Funcom's critically acclaimed massively multiplayer online game 'Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures' back in 2008.

As Funcom communicated earlier this year, the company will be announcing three new games in 2016. The first of these games will be based on the 'Conan the Barbarian' brand and will be announced to the public in January next year.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'll just post it here until we know more for another thread.
http://www.funcom.com/news/funcom_and_conan_properties_enter_new_partnership

Funcom is excited to announce that the company has entered into an agreement with Conan Properties, making it the preferred partner for all PC and console games based on the 'Conan the Barbarian' brand and the world of Hyboria. The two companies have already enjoyed a long and prosperous relationship, having successfully brought to market Funcom's critically acclaimed massively multiplayer online game 'Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures' back in 2008.

As Funcom communicated earlier this year, the company will be announcing three new games in 2016. The first of these games will be based on the 'Conan the Barbarian' brand and will be announced to the public in January next year.
Problem is that Funcom fucked combat the fuck up with Secret World. (Yes I do mean solely combat, not content) Like there was no reason to change AoC melee combat to what it was in Secret World. It's not like they had to do extra work. In fact they had to do extra work to change an existing mechanic.

*I assume

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's fucked up in AoC as well. Stupid direction button press shit costs me 5 keybindings for no gain.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
It's fucked up in AoC as well. Stupid direction button press shit costs me 5 keybindings for no gain.
Care to elaborate? Every "direction button press" is an actual hit with collision/shield check and possible penalty to combo damage if you miss. There is some skill required to play this system, especially in PvP. Lots of people love it, while considering caster gameplay as easymode.

Mangoose AoC-style combat was still original-ish and not very popular with the MMO crowd when they started developing TSW. They went back to more classic combat, but went overboard with questing and narration. AoC attracts hardcore, masochistic crowd that prefers focus on mutilation.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The gain is that it prevented me from falling asleep.

bozia2012 said:
Mangoose AoC-style combat was still original-ish and not very popular with the MMO crowd when they started developing TSW. They went back to more classic combat, but went overboard with questing and narration. AoC attracts hardcore, masochistic crowd that prefers focus on mutilation.
Well classic MMO combat bores the shit out of me.

---

It wasn't a huge jump in fun, but it added a degree of interactivity and added a bit of action-hybrid gameplay. Minor stuff like paying attention to NPC shield direction, having to time and not miss your combos. And whiffing the collision detection, yes, decreased your damage, which mattered quite a bit in PVP. Moving in and out of range, circling, feinting movement I had to do a lot of that in PVP. Yes, all this was related to the directional keys, because you would use movement in order to make people whiff on one or more of their combo keys, fucking up their damage.

None of that was truly significant, and it was no Gothic 1-2, but added together it was definitely more fun than the classic MMO. And yes, even though PVE didn't have the aforementioned complexity as in PVE, paying attention to NPC shield direction, still having to play with the timing/rhythm of the directional keys that made up the combo... it kept me more on my toes and I didn't fall asleep. (Plus the Bear Shaman had cool mechanics)

And there was plenty of keybinding space even with the directional keys, unless you were an idiot and binded all your combos to 1-0. Bind your special abilities around your directional keys and everything was easily within reach. Same way in how I bound my weapon keys in Quake 3 to Q, E, R, F, etc., instead of actually using the number keys.

One thing that truly annoyed me in AoC, though, was no mouse-look toggle.

---

Look, I'm not saying that AoC was greatest of the great. I'm saying it's the lesser of two evils compared to traditional MMO combat - to me. And devolving the mechanics took more time than just keeping it as it was.

I mean I love Warhammer Online mechanics (in PVP) a lot more. But that's not the subject.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well I don't do pvp, so my opinion is based on pve. I loved the system as well when AOC came out, but playing as a HOX basically all my combos did their main damage to one side, and mobs always directed shields to this side after a few hits. And in group content it was irrelevant. So basically all the system did was reducing my damage and removing available keybindings. But I can see that it could be nice in pvp.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well I don't do pvp, so my opinion is based on pve. I loved the system as well when AOC came out, but playing as a HOX basically all my combos did their main damage to one side, and mobs always directed shields to this side after a few hits. And in group content it was irrelevant. So basically all the system did was reducing my damage and removing available keybindings. But I can see that it could be nice in pvp.
HoX is a different in gameplay from the melee classes because it has a lot of reliance on its transformation mechanic, which is needed due to the HoX's glass cannon-ness. In addition to the transformation, you also rely more on spells than the "real" melee classes. I comprehend your perspective, because HoXs are really more of a mage class. I'm not sure I can say it's a hybrid melee/mage (in terms of AoC mechanics) rather than it's a close-ranged spellcaster.

I can also understand your criticism that probably the HoX, as having a strong aspect of being close-ranged spellcaster, makes the directional buttons kinda tedious. Interestingly enough the Priest (Priestess?) of Mithra was much better as a "caster" in that their attacks were based on range, yet they could handle melee characters approaching well. Without a 5 directional keys. I think the Tempest of Set also.

So I think they just didn't design the HoX well. It wasn't a good sword-mage character. It was a mage that was relegated to close range attacks that did more damage than the other mages (I think). Having the complete 5-directional melee system doesn't fit with that design.

Now the true melee class are better and have distinctions. Guardians being very straightforward. Conquerors more of a group-based aura type. Barbarians' and Assassins' variety are more noticeable in PVP but still they were more glass-cannon-y (especially Barbarians) so that made gameplay distinct. But playing that "Dark Knight" class was very interesting, as a leech-type semi-tank. For those classes you didn't have a bunch of skills/spells that you needed to hotkey, you just had a few significant and distinct ones.

Bear Shaman though, bro. Interweaving between melee and healing, in the manner that you needed to do damage in order to heal, and stuffies like that. I want to say it was complex, but it's not really complex as much as it gives you just enough to do and those things had distinct variety, so that you have to pay attention.

HoX may also have had less combos (instead having more "mage spells," if that makes sense) than the "real" melee classes, which might be why it felt repetitive meleeing in PVE. NPC shield direction was more important (though still not high brow complex) for melee classes because shield direction would limit what combo you wanted to use, which meant a bit of improvisation. Less repetitive rotation.

Admittedly it's quite possible that the Bear Shaman class was significantly better/more complex than the other classes.

Also like I said I hate "classic" MMO combat (sadly because I've played such too much...) and I also subjectively enjoy action-y combat. So there is a bias there.

---

I really hate how Tortage was such a bait and switch though. And I'm not talking about VA. Motherfuckers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom