Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Conan

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just learned you can't access general chat with the ft2 account, and you get a dual spec with premium. They don't mention that on the upgrade page. I wonder what other hidden "perks" they left out.

I really don't want to invest any money in this game, but 3 ZOGBuxs is pretty cheap. There's a couple of things i don't understand though. First, if i get the 30 days premium, and i make new characters, what happens to them when the time is up? Same for alternative advancements feats (which, BTW, isn't this kind of a pay to win shit?).

Kinda sucks too that character slots are so expensive. Being stuck with one toon only is kinda excessive i think.

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
On your funcom account page. Access from launcher.

As soon as i added that key I got 8 character slots (I don't have premium though as its an old account) and 20 slot bag I could claim.

Also: World boss i came across, I got credit when it was downed somehow. (lvl 30, plinking away with arrows)

ageofconandx10.exe_20nlul6.png

ageofconandx10.exe_20mxux6.png

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Lyric Suite IIRC after your account goes back to f2p, both your characters will be locked and you will be able to unlock one of them. Do you get any Alternate Advancement points now on f2p?

Peasant logic:
1. Game has a subscription only model - you need to pay to even log in
2. As time goes by, more and more features of the game become f2p to bring players
3. ????
4. Suddenly the full experience becomes pay 2 win

fizzelopeguss It's world boss week (until wednesday afternoon) - a monthly event. Now the boss spawns in Khopshef Province and Dragon's Spine. You can get a quest for world bosses (kill 12 different bosses in the course of 12 months) in Old Tarantia on the steps of the Library. Bosses drop crap most of the time, but can also drop unique pets and T2 gear and some unique epics.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Just got out of tortage and landed in cimmeria. This is when I remember the game getting good. Will be nice to check out ymirs pass for the first time as well. They added that just after I left last time and filled a big content gap in that level bracket.

Think I've fallen in love with it all over again. Playing a shaman this time, their bear effect still looks cool and has held up after all these years. And the Crom server seems very healthy currently.

How is the dark templar also? Are they a solid solo class?

Finally Is there any deals or packages for all the content? Still have no idea what I've got to buy.
Dark Templar can now tank and deal massive damage at the same time. Since you leech life/mana, you can strike a balance between dps/mitigation and heal yourself with the damage you deal. You can replace your shield for a talisman and wear priest/mage clothing for crazy dps.

All classes are good for solo once you know what you're doing. Obviously Dark Templar has some easier life in the damage mitigation departament - you wear heavy/full plate armor - but you also have some crowd control and the damage is really good.
I wonder if Bear Shaman is still a bitch to play through Tortage as a newbie. Or at least, a bitch to play during the volcano area. FFS mang.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bought the code, i got a message it was shipped (lol), but the guy still hasn't mailed it to me. Faggot. I'll resume playing once i get it.

So far i'm enjoying my Guardian more than i expected. I was doubting my choice since apparently this class is shit at DPS but other classes aren't shit at tanking so i was thinking WTF is the point. But going Polearm and stacking everything for DPS appears to be pretty good for leveling. I don't feel as slow at killing as i did with my Paladin in vanilla WoW. At what point would have i have to switch to sword and board though? Where do the tough group dungeons begin?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Bought the code, i got a message it was shipped (lol), but the guy still hasn't mailed it to me. Faggot. I'll resume playing once i get it.

So far i'm enjoying my Guardian more than i expected. I was doubting my choice since apparently this class is shit at DPS but other classes aren't shit at tanking so i was thinking WTF is the point. But going Polearm and stacking everything for DPS appears to be pretty good for leveling. I don't feel as slow at killing as i did with my Paladin in vanilla WoW. At what point would have i have to switch to sword and board though? Where do the tough group dungeons begin?
No, the Guardian is not shit at DPS, don't worry. And I don't think you ever need to switch to sword/board while soloing. You can even DPS in a group if you're not a tank.

I think the first tough group dungeon is the level 37-39 Sanctum of the Burning Souls.

Well, since you guys are playing, I might join up. What are you guys playing again? Guardian & Shaman so far? Hm... what to play...

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm also back as new Herald of Xotli, but unreliable to the extreme so don't let that affect your class choice.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Mangoose Yep, BS is super weak in the beginning - makes up for it later on.

Lyric Suite I levelled as a polearm guard and tanked whole T1-T3 with polearm - high reach makes it easier to damage several mobs when soloing and it's easier to keep aggro in crowded fights. Polearm works only if the rest of the group doesn't know how to play - if they do, you will have trouble maitaining aggro.

Guardian is the lowest dps class in the game - even with polearm and offensive stance you will have trouble outdpsing a defensive stance DT. It doesn't make sense to go for polearm in group end-game, the dps difference is minimal and you loose too much aggro/survivability. Polearm is for soloing and PvP.

Black Castle is the first group dungeon, Sanctum is the second:

http://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Dungeons

I'm not sure how dungeons work for f2p - do you have access to all of them?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Mangoose Yep, BS is super weak in the beginning - makes up for it later on.

Lyric Suite I levelled as a polearm guard and tanked whole T1-T3 with polearm - high reach makes it easier to damage several mobs when soloing and it's easier to keep aggro in crowded fights. Polearm works only if the rest of the group doesn't know how to play - if they do, you will have trouble maitaining aggro.

Guardian is the lowest dps class in the game - even with polearm and offensive stance you will have trouble outdpsing a defensive stance DT. It doesn't make sense to go for polearm in group end-game, the dps difference is minimal and you loose too much aggro/survivability. Polearm is for soloing and PvP.

Black Castle is the first group dungeon, Sanctum is the second:

http://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Dungeons

I'm not sure how dungeons work for f2p - do you have access to all of them?
I remembering Guardians massacring people with their polearms in PVP, due to high DPS rather than because of their armor. Maybe they changed that?

Yeah I played a BS until level max. I was on a PVP server, not a big fan of one-on-one PVP but the class held its own well. Big plus was being able to stealth... You don't use as an actual gameplay utility as the rouge classes, but always a useful tool in PVP to pick the time and/or place of your fight.

I stopped before Khitai was released, though, so I've always itched to get back to it and try it out, since I heard it's pretty good. But I lazied out by the time I hit level 15 or so with any character. Yeah, I couldn't even my ass out of Tortage lol.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I remembering Guardians massacring people with their polearms in PVP, due to high DPS rather than because of their armor. Maybe they changed that?

Yeah I played a BS until level max. I was on a PVP server, not a big fan of one-on-one PVP but the class held its own well. Big plus was being able to stealth... You don't use as an actual gameplay utility as the rouge classes, but always a useful tool in PVP to pick the time and/or place of your fight.

I stopped before Khitai was released, though, so I've always itched to get back to it and try it out, since I heard it's pretty good. But I lazied out by the time I hit level 15 or so with any character. Yeah, I couldn't even my ass out of Tortage lol.
Yep, guardians were massacring people in PvP, but with burst dps - in long boss fights your dps skills don't have enough uptime.

Khitai is really massive - first thing to buy if you hit 80 and you plan to stay longer. There's like a dozen of factions to level up, tons of gear to make a smoother T3->T4 transition, really cool dungeons and just great lore and atmosphere.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yep, guardians were massacring people in PvP, but with burst dps - in long boss fights your dps skills don't have enough uptime.

So basically they are like Retribution Paladins lol.

I applied the code and i got my free month and everything but now i'm wondering whether i should have waited a little. So far it still feels like i'm playing a single player game more than anything. I like the scenery and the music though, kinda relaxing.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Reached the eggy mountains, game is still solid... Shame the low T game secret faggot steals it's subscription money and the majority of the company's resources.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Reached the eggy mountains, game is still solid... Shame the low T game secret faggot steals it's subscription money and the majority of the company's resources.
The basic playfields in AoC are full of broken objects and crappy textures. The new locations (Khitai, House of Crom, Ardashir) are high-quality though - much more landmarks on each map, more polish, better texture quality.

In TSW you can see where the money goes - the detail and quality just oozes from everywhere. Everything is voiced, tons of cutscenes, tons of unique assets. AoC has trouble getting unique armor looks for a whole new raid tier, while in TSW you get a uniqe art for every single object you have to inspect.

But in the end I think AoC wins for me - it feels more hardcore and has bigger scale. And the girls are hotter.

mnw7eio.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Armor pretty much looking like crap until end-game was always one of my problems with AoC. And game CAN do good armor, it's just that 90% of the time it's simply re-skins of couple pieces.

Crom help you if you wear robes.

Lur6lw3.jpg

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Armor pretty much looking like crap until end-game was always one of my problems with AoC. And game CAN do good armor, it's just that 90% of the time it's simply re-skins of couple pieces.

Crom help you if you wear robes.

Lur6lw3.jpg
On low levels, the good looking armors is hidden in dungeons and heroic mode zones - the stuff you can buy from shops is fugly. The faction and raid armors are superb though - nice balance between ceremonial and practical. And they definitely look like armor, not some spandex with pauldrons.

I see you still need to level up your factions :)

diM9kDt.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I see you still need to level up your factions :)

Yeah, I practically didn't play any of RotG content because it was locked behind a sub for a long time. My memories of AoC armors go back to times when pants were still a relative rarity and everyone rocked skirts. :D

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The basic playfields in AoC are full of broken objects and crappy textures. The new locations (Khitai, House of Crom, Ardashir) are high-quality though - much more landmarks on each map, more polish, better texture quality.

In TSW you can see where the money goes - the detail and quality just oozes from everywhere. Everything is voiced, tons of cutscenes, tons of unique assets. AoC has trouble getting unique armor looks for a whole new raid tier, while in TSW you get a uniqe art for every single object you have to inspect.

But in the end I think AoC wins for me - it feels more hardcore and has bigger scale. And the girls are hotter.

mnw7eio.jpg

The original playfields are full of focal points, big art set pieces and varying degrees of elevation. (Most mmo zones are flatter than an anorexics tits).

A better renderer will do this game and its assets a world of good. As we'll see in conan exiles.

Thunder rivers textures are dated, but the actual map is very impressive with the draw distance maxed and the massive prison colony in the middle of a huve waterfall.

It's a shame a lot of stuff is hidden behind group requirements. Chances are I might not get to see it again.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

mnw7eio.jpg

The original playfields are full of focal points, big art set pieces and varying degrees of elevation. (Most mmo zones are flatter than an anorexics tits).

A better renderer will do this game and its assets a world of good. As we'll see in conan exiles.

Thunder rivers textures are dated, but the actual map is very impressive with the draw distance maxed and the massive prison colony in the middle of a huve waterfall.

It's a shame a lot of stuff is hidden behind group requirements. Chances are I might not get to see it again.
I find Connall's Valley or Thunder River more confusing and full of monotonous areas. There are few big landmarks, but navigating the detail is hard - maybe because the maps are more vertical, the new ones are more flat.

All the maps are impressive, but you have to be there to see it. The acheronian ruins in Thunder River (Prison Colony/Xibaluku) are overwhelming, but no screenshot will do justice.

Yeah, the cooler stuff requires a group - but this makes them more appealing IMO. You have to see Enigmata of Yag if you haven't already.

AoC also has much better combat.
Yeah.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

mnw7eio.jpg

I find Connall's Valley or Thunder River more confusing and full of monotonous areas. There are few big landmarks, but navigating the detail is hard - maybe because the maps are more vertical, the new ones are more flat.

All the maps are impressive, but you have to be there to see it. The acheronian ruins in Thunder River (Prison Colony/Xibaluku) are overwhelming, but no screenshot will do justice.

Yeah, the cooler stuff requires a group - but this makes them more appealing IMO. You have to see Enigmata of Yag if you haven't already.

AoC also has much better combat.
Yeah.
I loved vertically running up waterfalls.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
That it's bound to a character? As in it cannot be traded with anyone, even between your own characters.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
That it's bound to a character? As in it cannot be traded with anyone, even between your own characters.
fizzelopeguss Nope, it means that every character on the account has it's own amount to claim. If you take 10 pots on this character, other characters will still have those potions to claim.

You can see other items are per listed as "account", but have unlimited quantity so can also be claimed by all characters.

They made some fixes to make it harder, but the engine still allows for free movement in water. Don't know if this was an intended pun, but the Enigmata of Yag features a section where you have to swim upward a stream of water suspended in air.

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
fizzelopeguss Nope, it means that every character on the account has it's own amount to claim. If you take 10 pots on this character, other characters will still have those potions to claim.

You can see other items are per listed as "account", but have unlimited quantity so can also be claimed by all characters.

They made some fixes to make it harder, but the engine still allows for free movement in water. Don't know if this was an intended pun, but the Enigmata of Yag features a section where you have to swim upward a stream of water suspended in air.

Holy shit, gonna get some toons levelled.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

Holy shit, gonna get some toons levelled.
If those are 8h pots, you probably won't need whole 10 anyway.

Better claim one potion and check how it looks on other characters - it's Funcom after all ;)

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Yeah, just did. seems to be every character gets 10.

They're 12 hour pots as well. Must have been a giveaway to old/launch accounts or something, they'll get me through Atzels anyway.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reading bozia's posts always makes me want to play TSW/AoC, so I caved in again during the weekend :negative:

The latency seems quite atrocious. I'm getting 140-160 in Finland, while I usually get 40-50 with MMOs. Is it possible to do dungeons with pings like that? I started a Tempest of Set so afaik I'd probably be a healer of sorts. Not really interested in PvP.

Jazz_

Arcane
I have always wanted to try AOC, how's the population nowadays? low I assume? Also what's the final install size? The client is like 30 gb (holy guacamole), I guess after patching and installing it must be close to 50-60 gb? That's...a lot of space.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
4249 Jazz_

My game client weighs about 27GB now and it's about 8 months old.

~150ms is normal for me and I never felt it was an issue. There's other problem lately - massive lag spikes since the sub model changed. This leads me to believe there's more players online, as this behaviour was seen only during World Boss weeks (now it's happening everyday).

But lag spikes etc. are gifts that allow you to reach enlightenment:

QWqeCFT.png

dJaUPMT.png

P5kX5sM.png

umkjtaj.png

There are four more, but you'll have to talk to Kang yourself...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom