Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence May 2018 Update

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
It almost seems to me as if you had something to lose by not complying with Sunfire's wishes.
Like what? For the record, Sunfire's never asked me or anyone else to integrate his mod.

Let's just let that stand for the moment. I don't believe it, but I don't have anything concrete to go on.

So how do we have to imagine that? You waited for the guy to put together a bugfix mod[citation needed], and then you reviewed those changes one by one? Why not integrate every fix as he posted them? Time constraints?
We're busy working on the next project, so the subject of AoD doesn't come often in our conversations. Someone reported a somewhat rare poison issue, which we couldn't ignore. Someone else reported a serious balance issue in one of the endgame fights, so we fixed it too. This was our first opportunity to take a moment and see what else we can fix. Sunfire's mod was a good starting point as he's been working on fixes for a long time. After reviewing his fixes, we decided to integrate his mod. The end.

Thanks for stating your version. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
why would you even make his fixes mandatory?
Because that's how bug-fixing works?

Then that's true for every fixpack for any game. Are you trying to establish a new policy here regarding user fixes?

But it IS true for every fixpack for any game. There's no new policy. DEVs have always looked at the fixes made by ''users'' and implemented them. The only difference here is that this was recognized by VD when he did that.

Users coming up with fixes and supplying them to devs? Sure. But IF he put together a mod of his own, why not just give him a shoutout and be done with it.

Oh lol, the story goes on http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7451.msg152899.html#msg152899

question, when Sunfire gives 'special thanks' to others (as he tends to do), how much of the work can we assume to be his?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
why would you even make his fixes mandatory?
Because that's how bug-fixing works?

Then that's true for every fixpack for any game. Are you trying to establish a new policy here regarding user fixes?

But it IS true for every fixpack for any game. There's no new policy. DEVs have always looked at the fixes made by ''users'' and implemented them. The only difference here is that this was recognized by VD when he did that.

Users coming up with fixes and supplying them to devs? Sure. But IF he put together a mod of his own, why not just give him a shoutout and be done with it.

Oh lol, the story goes on http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7451.msg152899.html#msg152899

question, when Sunfire gives 'special thanks' to others (as he tends to do), how much of the work can we assume to be his?
What you ignore by linking my post is that it is just an advanced reminder as I previously asked him while translating this file if something could be done here. I will post a screen later.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
What you ignore by linking my post is that it is just an advanced reminder as I previously asked him while translating this file if something could be done here. I will post a screen later.

the link opens to Sunfire's post top of the page. Are you telling me you're posting there in his name or something?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Because these are bug fixes, not some optional stuff. If someone notices one of the issues Sunfire fixed, what am I supposed to tell them? You should have installed this mod I mentioned in some post 2 months ago?

"Special thanks to Windchaser, Maliuta88, otto-gambit and all others who helped to find out the bugs and test the fixes."

What's not clear? People reported issues, Sunfire fixed them, those who reported the issues tested the fixes to make sure they work. That's how bug fixing works in general. Report - fix - test.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Because these are bug fixes, not some optional stuff. If someone notices one of the issues Sunfire fixed, what am I supposed to tell them? You should have installed this mod I mentioned in some post 2 months ago?

welp, that may be a particular trouble of smaller devs very active on Steam. Otherwise, just let it go unanswered? It's not like that doesn't happen, is it?

Begs the question where you're gonna draw the line though. People may complain about anything, and any user may have modded the game in one way or another that adresses that.

"Special thanks to Windchaser, Maliuta88, otto-gambit and all others who helped to find out the bugs and test the fixes."

What's not clear? People reported issues, Sunfire fixed them, those who reported the issues tested the fixes to make sure they work. That's how bug fixing works in general. Report - fix - test.

that's what he says.

Drowed

Arcane

Because it's bugfixing, the DEV will implement it in the end. They will fix the bug since it's their job (except when it's a bad company and they don't, but this is another case). They can lie (AKA, omitting the source), implementing community corrections without citing their source (such as Bethesda, Piranha Bytes and even Obsidian have always done), or they can do like VD and recognize it openly.

The bugs will be fixed. The path will be implemented in the same way as in the MOD. The company can speak the truth, or not. In that case, they did.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron

the link opens to Sunfire's post top of the page. Are you telling me you're posting there in his name or something?
My bad, my shitty connection at work made me think you were refering to my post just below.
In no way I will speak in anyone else name.

Big Wrangle

Next you're gonna tell me Sunfire will make a Codex account and this will become the new Ask Me Anything thread.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

Because it's bugfixing, the DEV will implement it in the end. They will fix the bug since it's their job (except when it's a bad company and they don't, but this is another case).

not fixing bugs in 2018 for a 2015 game? Not necessarily a bad company, by this industry's standards. Certainly not stuff like a skill point here and there for the sake of consistency. VD raised a point that I didn't consider, that is, the company is always in touch with people on Steam, where ignoring users' complaints can lead to them downgrading your product. In that case, yeah, it may make sense from a dev's side to slap anything onto the game that could fix things people may complain about sooner or later (if only because they stumble upon a thread and ask why this wasn't implemented into the base game yet). If they can help it, they'll probably not bundle the game with mods that might set people off, but that may or may not be true in any individual case.

Still, not the kind of practice people like us should come to appreciate IMO, we all look around on the net for information on the games we care about, and we would have found Sunfire's mod by ourselves (if it existed :hahano:) and could have decided if we care about that in our game.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Vault Dweller when is the May Update coming to GoG?
I was told it went live on May 8.

The installer still has version 1.6.0.117 (i think the updated one is supposed to be 1.60.119?).
Then there’s a separate 10 MB patch that has the same version number 1.6.0.117. maybe they labeled the patch wrongly?

So checked it at this and when you install the game or apply the patch it says version number 1.6.0.0.116 on the start up screen...so even older than the 117 in the filename...GOG dropping the ball with updates as usual.

EDIT: Ok so appearently the 116 Gog version is equivalent to the 119 Steam version according to sunfire...
https://af.gog.com/forum/age_of_decadence_series/changelog/page2?as=1649904300

While they labelled it 117 in the installer remains GOGs mystery...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I make separate binaries for Steam and GoG, two for each (32 and 64 bit), four in total for each release. I also need to be able to identify them (in case of bug and crash reports), so each has to have a unique version, visible to the player.

Binky

Cipher
I would say Sunfire is a great active community member, and without him, I wouldn't be able to work on a French translation of AoD. And while working at it, we've spotted lots of typos (the list is long believe me) he fixed in his hotfix.
We should rejoice having someone like Sunfire in the AoD community.

Could you provide me with a list of these typos you've fixed?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I would say Sunfire is a great active community member, and without him, I wouldn't be able to work on a French translation of AoD. And while working at it, we've spotted lots of typos (the list is long believe me) he fixed in his hotfix.
We should rejoice having someone like Sunfire in the AoD community.

Could you provide me with a list of these typos you've fixed?
Making a full list would take me time, so instead, I need your gmail adress to share with you our translation "roadmap file" (in excell format) where I've listed, file by file, all spotted typos during our translation. We've tried to report all of them in the following thread. But now, Sunfire is working on a soon to come bugfix build, so he's simply fixing the typos I can spot here and here, without having to report them in the same thread.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2608.60.html

But please, if I share with you this roadmap file, do not touch anything. One of my collaborator had his account hacked and one day, this file has been removed. Fortunatly, Sunfire was able to make it come back.

Binky

Cipher
Address sent.

I've no ill intentions. If you think I'll harm your project through incompetence, you don't have to send the file. Merely satisfying my curiosity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom