Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Released

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The AoD engine (Torque plus the AoD code) for the crawler. We'll try Unreal 4 for the Colony Ship RPG and see how it goes.

Perkel

Arcane
I am not saying 2D but i am saying 2D. You should try mix of 3D characters and 2D backgrounds. It should both give you customization flexibility for characters and nice original locations for rest of game.
Or stylization of 3D graphic via shaders. Even prerendered background with handtouch in photoshop could look awesome.

Strictly attacking realism is both time consuming and expensive and doesn't yeld rewards unless you are doing some high end stuff.

Urbanolo

Augur
Shit guys, I don't know, the whole Codex is gushing over Underrail, but after completing AoD so many times Underrail just seems inferior in every aspect, except maybe exploration. It's still decent, but goddammit it feels more like an 2d hiking simulator with shitload of filler combat.
AoD spoiled me :(.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I don't engage Underrail fanboys, they're more blind than PoE haters or popamolers who play Fallout 4. Not saying Underrail is a bad game, I actually want to play it, just waiting for the hype to die down, who long it takes.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Shit guys, I don't know, the whole Codex is gushing over Underrail, but after completing AoD so many times Underrail just seems inferior in every aspect, except maybe exploration. It's still decent, but goddammit it feels more like an 2d hiking simulator with shitload of filler combat.
AoD spoiled me :(.
All of the issues I've had with Underrail are still there except for loading during combat (but quickload still doesn't work): http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/divinity-or-eternity.98054/page-3#post-3826311

Especially annoying is how limited your options are when doing quests and quests themselves which are kill/fetch quests only. The viable builds are also limited, any sub-optimal build puts you in a very difficult position and forces you to use grenades and craft them. In AoD even quite shitty builds are still viable and you can win fights using the right tactics and avoiding more difficult fights. In UR avoiding fights is practically impossible, the game forces you to fight most of the time even when you're building a burglar. It's still a great game but people who praise it so much should really try Age of Decadence to see a true gem.

Blackmill

Scholar
I've decided to start an Imperial Guard playthrough since most people say that's one of the more interesting factions. I was wondering what a good starting build and skill distribution for a smart soldier would be. I'm thinking swords, alchemy, and block (is block better for power armor?) as my primary combat skills but I still want some investment in persuasion/streetwise and lore.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Axe is easier than sword, consider this in particular since you want a hybrid build (smart soldier).

is block better for power armor?

No block is shields only. If you don't want shield (for instance, wants to use two-handed weapon), go with dodge. Alchemy def helps, so does crafting. Lore is necessary if you want to access more parts of the game off the main questline and persuasion/streetwise will help in more interesting solutions for quests other than bashing people in the head.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
When making hybrid builds I tend to find it's easier to dump strength and con as opposed to dexterity. Getting initiative is vital to hybrid builds, it lets you position first, or use nets/bolas first incapacitating a critical opponent before they beat you down, I'd say 6 str 9 dex 6 con is more powerful than all 7s, I've made successful hybrids with 5 str and con.

Blackmill

Scholar
When making hybrid builds I tend to find it's easier to dump strength and con as opposed to dexterity. Getting initiative is vital to hybrid builds, it lets you position first, or use nets/bolas first incapacitating a critical opponent before they beat you down, I'd say 6 str 9 dex 6 con is more powerful than all 7s, I've made successful hybrids with 5 str and con.

Thanks for the tip. Do you think I should go crafting in addition to alchemy?

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Thanks for the tip. Do you think I should go crafting in addition to alchemy?

If you're going hybrid you're probably experienced enough that going both just about breaks combat. Maybe a few points in crafting in the early game if you need it, then a few later for quests but, if you go swords and buy that crazy sword (as well as other gear available in Maadoran) in you can dump crafting and focus on alchemy for combat purposes.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Shit, I'm excited :D. Waiting for it to exit the beta phase though.
For the record, the beta is only for the engine's update not the content. So far the only known issue is the paperdoll. On some computers it's either very dark or flickers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom