Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ugh, these people [gaming journos] are despicable. I can make a lazy review shitting on the game too. Watch me.

"Rolled a max charisma character thinking I would get laid. Only wouldable lady in the game said she doesn't sleep with the help. Maximum charisma doesn't make panties drop = broken game is broken. 0/10. No boobs, no waifus. Would rather keep Morrigan warm in DA:O. P.S: crazy preacher dude said I was his chosen one. ERRM. GAAAAAAAY."

See, my review is just as crap, but at least it's SHORT and doesn't MAKE SHIT UP. Also, if needed I can provide my own screenshots of me trying to bang Lady Lorenza (and getting "murderously" disappointed).

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ugh, these people [gaming journos] are despicable. I can make a lazy review shitting on the game too. Watch me.

"Rolled a max charisma character thinking I would get laid. Only wouldable lady in the game said she doesn't sleep with the help. Maximum charisma doesn't make panties drop = broken game is broken. 0/10. No boobs, no waifus. Would rather keep Morrigan warm in DA:O. P.S: crazy preacher dude said I was his chosen one. ERRM. GAAAAAAAY."

See, my review is just as crap, but at least it's SHORT and doesn't MAKE SHIT UP. Also, if needed I can provide my own screenshots of me trying to bang Lady Lorenza (and getting "murderously" disappointed).

I think you'll find Livia is best waifu, good sir.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
why would i read a game review when i've already played the game?

sounds like a waste of time
To not make stupid comments like yours? "I don't know what I'm talking about but I'll still comment". I guess it fits with the guy who didn't actually play the game and still wrote a review.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
why would i read a game review when i've already played the game?

sounds like a waste of time
To not make stupid comments like yours? "I don't know what I'm talking about but I'll still comment". I guess it fits with the guy who didn't actually play the game and still wrote a review.

it would make sense for "vince" or any other dev to read reviews for their game to see if there's anything to take out of it for future improvements(not saying the review necessarily had that)

the only reason someone like you would read a review(especially one you know is negative) for a game you already know you like is because you're insecure about your choice of entertainment

i hope you can sort yourself out bud

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Speaking from my experience as journalist and knowing industry a bit )

Game journalists = 99% of time are 16-20 year olds who most of time dont even play what they review (they dont have time, since its mostly just some side-work if i can call it "work" at first place, they have school to visit etc).

They just watch few vids (at best) or para-phrase another one's review (which is also para-phrased). Thinking of it, it is important that few first reviews would be positive - it would set the trend for most others.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
the Bronze Age eras usually getting more time in the limelight than it, at least when it comes to RPGs
Is this even true?
Not that I know of, I can't name a single Bronze Age cRPG.
Whalenought Studios claims Serpent In the Staglands takes place in

"A Transylvanian-inspired Bronze Age

• A setting historically inspired by the late bronze age in an eerie Transylvanian landscape"

I'm not sure how well the game lives up to that claim though. Other than SitS and King of Dragon Pass (which has so many other influences, setting-wise, that I think it is a bit of a stretch) I can't remember any role-playing games alleged to have a bronze age setting.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking from my experience as journalist and knowing industry a bit )

Game journalists = 99% of time are 16-20 year olds who most of time dont even play what they review (they dont have time, since its mostly just some side-work if i can call it "work" at first place, they have school to visit etc).

They just watch few vids (at best) or para-phrase another one's review (which is also para-phrased). Thinking of it, it is important that few first reviews would be positive - it would set the trend for most others.
Working for a magazine for years, working as admin at an another magazine for a year, and knowing several person in the hungarian gaming press, I can confirm that this is pure bullshit. I mean, it is possible to be like that in your country, but not here. Most gaming journalists are between 20-30 years old and while they usually don't finish the longer games, they don't review just based on videos. They at least put a few hours in them. Their reviews still suck of course, but they play the games at least.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Age of Decadence review in the biggest Polish gaming magazine. Only 1 page but at least they've finally done it.

Pros and cons according to reviewer:

Pros: unique and interesting setting with a very mature vision of the world, C&C that are significant, beautifully written dialogues with many skill checks, difficult, with more post-apo pessimism than Fallout 4 and Wasteland 2 combined, potential for replayability
Cons: ugly, tedious at times, short (can be finished in several hours)

u12eRjA.jpg

Seems to me they've done that review because a small, vocal minority was demanding it (mainly me) because the reviewer doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. He probably copy/pasted pros from around the web and was done with it. I mean, how could you rate a game this high if you thought it was tedious? Or if you thought that it was worth playing only several hours. He used the word "potential" replayability which suggests he didn't play it for more than these several hours. There are also no concrete examples in the review, we don't know which background he chose, etc. But he keps calling it a "several hours RPG" and calls his experience "kameralny" by which I assume he means it's short or lacking in content.

They have a Metacritic profile but I doubt AoD will be included.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
they don't review just based on videos. They at least put a few hours in them.

There is big difference between watching vids 30-60 min and playing game 30-60 min.

And yes, probably SOME revievers do play game they review, they usually dont finish starting area though (i.e. 30-60 mins play time) - this are mostly "non lazy" reviewers.

Bottom line: if you belive what reviewer wrote you are dumbass. You better watch video of game 30-60 mins yourself and you get better understand of game - since most reviewers are totally not interested in games they review and just want to be done with it ASAP.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Seems to me they've done that review because a small, vocal minority was demanding it (mainly me) because the reviewer doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. He probably copy/pasted pros from around the web and was done with it. I mean, how could you rate a game this high if you thought it was tedious? Or if you thought that it was worth playing only several hours. He used the word "potential" replayability which suggests he didn't play it for more than these several hours. There are also no concrete examples in the review, we don't know which background he chose, etc. But he keps calling it a "several hours RPG" and calls his experience "kameralny" by which I assume he means it's short or lacking in content.

lern2read, o head cultist

- He doesn't say it's tedious, but that it can get tiring occasionally (which I think is safe to assume from the bulk of the text that he meant getting overwhelmed by some of the consequences and combat)
- He doesn't say it's worth playing only several hours. He says that the game can be finished in several hours.
- "Potencjał do" does not equal "potencjalnie".
- He doesn't mention specific examples (except like two) because it's a popamole gaming rag - they don't work like this - and because he had only 1 page of space to use. Hard to go into specific examples with that big of a limitation.
- Fetch a dictionary and check the meaning of "kameralny".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And yes, probably SOME revievers do play game they review, they usually dont finish starting area though (i.e. 30-60 mins play time) - this are mostly "non lazy" reviewers.
No. And I don't know where did you work to get this impression.

I don't doubt that there are some amateur blogs who "review" games like that. But the ones who do it "professionally" are not like that.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
- He doesn't say it's tedious, but that it can get tiring occasionally (which I think is safe to assume from the bulk of the text that he meant getting overwhelmed by some of the consequences and combat)
That's why I wrote "tedious at times".

- He doesn't say it's worth playing only several hours. He says that the game can be finished in several hours.
Not directly but you can read it between the lines. He says "ten kilkunastogodzinny rolplej" - he explicitly states here that he played no more than several hours. And "potencjał do" is also rather suggestive, you won't find him saying that he replayed the game.

- "Potencjał do" does not equal "potencjalnie".
Semantics, in this case it suggests the same thing if you read the whole review. Or should I say "it's safe to assume"?

- Fetch a dictionary and check the meaning of "kameralny".
I know what this word means but if we would take it literally the sentence "to unikalne, choć zarazem kameralne doświadczenie" wouldn't make sense.
According to you which of these meanings fits to this? Don't tell me that #2 (if anything definition #2 fits to what I said).

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Now, pay attention. That is not the first time some reviewer accused the game of being “unpolished”. We need to read carefully this comment in order to have a better understanding of the popamole mind. If the game doesn’t have triple-A graphics, doesn’t hold the player’s hand and it is difficult in combat, then it is obvious that is an unpolished game, because any developer would want to do these things in his game. If ITS didn’t implement these obvious things, is because they are lazy or didn’t care, because no cRPG is supposed to be this way.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

You tried to do a Skyrm, but you are so incompetent that you could only make AoD! :)

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
No. And I don't know where did you work to get this impression.

I don't doubt that there are some amateur blogs who "review" games like that. But the ones who do it "professionally" are not like that.

Professional - reviewers? How can you call professional - job with lowest pay and no requirements for it at all?

Of cause only those those work who ask for less pay (aka schoolboys and students with no serious job), noone of "reviewers" was fired because he was not "professoional" enough.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.dlh.net/en/reviews/2084/the-age-of-decadence--pc-.html

82%

The Age of Decadence is an old-school RPG with some new-age cause and effect protocols in place. The truly impressive dynamic of this becomes apparent in each successive playthrough. Where your first time you may play as an assassin, mercilessly killing any who stand in your way and opening the doors to one ending, a second playthrough as a loremaster will not only have a different ending, but a multitude of different dialogue and side quests that affect how you fare at the ending. If nothing else, it’s extremely impressive how balanced the developers made The Age of Decadence, and I would highly recommend it to any seeking a new take on old-school RPGs.

hivemind

it’s extremely impressive how balanced the developers made The Age of Decadence
I need to email this guy with a long essay on the inherent superiority of dodge.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The commenters seem to like it and expressed a preference for turn-based. :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom