Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

Atchodas

Augur
It's as story-light as a tactical RPG, without the multiple tactical options that make those interesting.

obvious troll is obvious

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One of the newest Steam reviews: http://steamcommunity.com/id/weregamer/recommended/230070/ (played 3.4 hours)

I wish I liked this game more than I do, because it tries so hard. But having played the first chapter through several times with different characters, I've found that while each had different details, each also felt too much the same, and I ended up with really no emotional incentive to continue into the next chapter with any of them.

I think the thing that bugs me most is that there's just not enough built-in story to carry the weak mechanics, and not enough player leeway to give the feeling of an emergent story; in the end, I'm doing boring things in order to expose the ho-hum single conversation that will advance the unengaging story.

It's as linear as a JRPG, without the depth of writing *or* the interesting combat mechanics that make those satisfying
. It's as story-light as a tactical RPG, without the multiple tactical options that make those interesting.

Honestly, I think the developers would have been much better off using RPGmaker or another such tool that would provide all the basic mechanics and engine for them, so they could really work on their story and flavor. But instead all their energy has been soaked up getting mediocre mechanics and production values onto the screen, with nothing left to make it shine.
:notsureifserious:
Actually I'm sure someone is trolling

Fuck. I don't know why popamole tards make me so angry but fuck.

Story light?

Without depth of writing?

Mother fucker, this steamtard needs some bleach, stat.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
A metacritic user

Dont believe the glowing reviews, this is not an rpg but more like choose your own adventure with skill checks along the way. its simply retarded and abominable in design. Ignore the comments like "not for Bioware lovers", "Bethesda fans neednt apply" or "old school hard-core only". Its not old-school hardcore in fact lots of old school games like Wizardry were **** It unintuitive in its design, dumb as dirt story, assets look like crap. Its sold as post-apocalyptic but you wouldnt know that when playing it. Its basically a game heavily reliant on trial and error all the while bragging its deadly difficult. It aint. Its stupidly and dellusionally designed. The Dev/s must be retarded or drunk to even compare this game to Fallout(which it doesnt). Its not realistic like it says it is. Dont believe the shills from RPGcodex praising the flying phuck out of this game. If you must play it just pirate it before actually buying the game.

:retarded:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
One of the most recent GOG reviews: https://af.gog.com/game/the_age_of_decadence?as=1649904300

This is a weird exercise in text based adventure with a retro graphics overlay. That may indeed work for a game for some, but where this game fails me utterly is with the difficulty. If your idea of a good time is to reload an unavoidable battle with the odds WAY stacked against you, over and over and over again, literally for hours on end, and have no choice but to do this in order to progress, then this will be a great game. For the rest of us, after several hours of frustrating tedium, I gave up in disgust.

Some might say I should just try with a different build (I had a maxed mercenary and it would be virtually impossible to have a more powerful mercenary by that point in the game), or go for a different quest line... Except I have absolutely zero desire to continue trying with this, what is to me, utterly broken game.

There is no difficulty setting with which to tweak one's challenge level. There is no way to heal your character other than spending gold at a healer, resting in your bed is not an option. Forget about any mechanism to heal during combat! And while some may say that the combat is tactical, it boils down to spending twenty seconds watching NPCs repeat combat animations so you can get to the point where you click your attack button once or twice, repeat ad nauseum. I've played plenty of games with more tactics than this that moved a LOT more quickly.
This is a typical review written by imbecile who most likely doesn't know what the word "literally" means and when it should be used. If however he really was reloading a single fight for several hours then he's an even bigger idiot. Most likely he won't even try Dungeon Rats even though it will have difficulty settings (due to his butthurtness).

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I bet that these reviews were made by codexers. I read these idiotic complaints at the Codex. They can be all summarize like this:

Multiple choices with scripted events = COA

Game with exploration = cRPG

Fuck these people.

Atchodas

Augur
These butthurt reviews are meaningless tho , AoD has 91% Positive on Steam which is all you need honestly, pretty sure one butthurt review about difficulty out of 10 will even inspire people to try this

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I bet that these reviews were made by codexers. I read these idiotic complaints at the Codex. They can be all summarize like this:

Fuck these people.
Please revert your avatar so I can more easily recognize your posts.

thx.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter

Fuck these people.
"chose your own adventure" doesn't have role-system and skillchecks, and those which do have are not pure cyoa.
Those codexers are fucked in the head.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
These butthurt reviews are meaningless tho , AoD has 91% Positive on Steam which is all you need honestly, pretty sure one butthurt review about difficulty out of 10 will even inspire people to try this
81% not 91% and that is a huge difference. It's just a step away from "mostly positive" status.

Atchodas

Augur
It used to be 91% some time ago i think , now its 83% well thats still very decent and gives impression of a successful game

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It was never 91 and no reviews were deleted. Our rating fluctuates between 83 and 86%. It tends to slowly go up to 85-86, then fresh negative reviews knock it down (usually after a sale) and it starts climbing up again. Out of 1,024 reviews only 13 reviews were posted by people with activated keys, which is a fairly small number considering we sold over 2000 copies via BMT and gave over 1,500 Steam keys to those who bought it directly.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Combat wasn't too bad but it did feel like CoA. As a brute you are pretty much just a pawn, albeit a very strong one. A lot of the choices are closed to you by character creation. It does very much feel on rails. Sure you can change and start playing suboptimally, but what does that really demonstrate?

Nice game, but I felt like a spectator the entire way through.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Even shittiest builds have choices, but if you have because of your shitty build in particular situation only 1 choice you should actually be happy about it... that you don't have to start all over again.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A Finnish review from a mainstream magazine

score: 86/100

http://www.pelit.fi/artikkelit/age-of-decadence-antiikkia-antiikkia/

The reviewer says he's waited AoD for 10 years.

-pros

- a nice build variety
- short length that plays nicely with the considerable replay value
- surprised that a project that took forever didn't end up vapour but actually matches his expectations

cons

- for a beginner, the system too complex to pick the right skills, without any earlier experience you might end up (re)rolling an unplayable char
- battles sometimes feel unfair (1 vs 4 etc)

If you care more for the content than looks, it's worth getting

One of the most recent GOG reviews: https://af.gog.com/game/the_age_of_decadence?as=1649904300

This is a typical review written by imbecile who most likely doesn't know what the word "literally" means and when it should be used. If however he really was reloading a single fight for several hours then he's an even bigger idiot. Most likely he won't even try Dungeon Rats even though it will have difficulty settings (due to his butthurtness).

Actually, this "imbecile" is pretty close to the mark. AoD is a really shitty game that really, when it boils down to it, is a choose-your-own-adventure simulator with some combat thrown in for kicks. AoD gives you the illusion of building a character with skill points, but, in the end, in order to succeed at the game, you cannot build a balanced character, you have to game the system and overload your skill points in one stat category (Combat / Social) or another, really skewing the overall game experience. The combat itself is unbalanced, even with a character with a strong combat build. The game is just poorly-designed. Dungeon Rats suffers inherits the same combat design issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ummm... I beat Wizardry 1-8 and am playing Elminage Gothic right now.
You don't know what you're talking about.

I've also 1CC'd Mushihimesama on Ultra... I find it weird you make up stories about my 'gamer cred' -

My complaints about the game have nothing to do with its challenge level.

In fact, your post is outright ridiculous considering I underwent the self-torture that is Wizardry 6-8 in Expert mode (doubled bosses in 6, massive HP bloat in 8)

And before you even dare compare yourself, the version of Wizardry I played were the Apple][ versions: higher encounters, much rougher surprise attacks, etc.

And no, no savescumming.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Womyn internet dick contest?

:bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom