Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DR review 20/100 (google translated from Russian)

the most terrible disappointment this year
The game from the creators of Age of decadence, to the same universe and tomzhe engine.
Creators rezhili for some strange reason that people in their child liked most fights, and so put them in the game only.
Dialog? No
Branching storyline? no
Maybe a lot of interesting skills? by
even if we forget about the game-ancestor that this hack is not worth your time.
in fact it's just a series of completely balanced fights in a very bad plot with a plot that can all fit in 2 lines.
At the moment, the game probably spent 5-7 hours, and frankly regret it.
For me, this game got on a par with the game Krai Mira, and hope for the developer in fact died
http://ru.riotpixels.com/games/dungeon-rats/scores/type-b/

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
He said that fights are unbalaced(he spent 6 hours so he know well), and he will never buy a game again from ITS.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
DR review 20/100 (google translated from Russian)

I'm a popamole that wanted storyfag talker mode, but the game has only balanced fights and I'm a character build illetarate.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But you can have storyfag talker mode! I've played a 4/4/4/8/10/10 on psycho to the end just fine. That's an AoD merchant/politician for sure. Of course, his talents weren't too useful for dealing with most of the thugs in the mine, but it's definitely still a talker.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well it was apparently too hard for the guy to read any information about the game. Well, whatever, doesn't matter.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I have told already that riotpixels is a popamolers site, with background of used-to-be-hardcore-PC-gamers. So actually some of them still hardcore. Some.
Basically runet is a zombie thing where all popamole things multiplied by extreme leftist who in charge for such sites. It is like maggots that frolik in brain tissue.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
75% discount is already bearing fruit:
ionrobsam said:

Just to damn hard. Other than that its fine.Twenty years ago I would have perserved with it but in my old age I simply can't be bothered and I only tried it because of the 75% discount so the 2.5hrs entertainment was reasonable value.

and
Ramanag said:
icon_thumbsDown_v6.png

icon_review_steam.png
This game is just straight up abusive. It doesn't give you a good indication as to when you'll be railroaded into missions, which is frequently. It suggests you avoid combat whenever possible, but also advises you to start as a straight fighter character, who lacks any discernable noncombat skill. Pick this game up if your life has been too happy recently and you need to balance it out with some unbridled rage.
:D :D :D

Just as I thought: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-in-sales-figures.90695/page-22#post-4886517

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The negative reviews are unavoidable. If 15% of people who try the game don't like it, then any sale spike will produce a dozen of negative reviews (not everyone who hate it will bother posting a review, just like not everyone who loves it will do it).

Old One

Arcane
The negative reviews are unavoidable. If 15% of people who try the game don't like it, then any sale spike will produce a dozen of negative reviews (not everyone who hate it will bother posting a review, just like not everyone who loves it will do it).
Like I said before, the negative reviews for AoD are particularly, entertainingly dumb.

I've noticed the same phenomenon with other works - movies, music, literature - that stand out as exceptional in some way. To me it's a sign you're doing something right.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You say you are a AoD supporter, but at the same time you suggest that games like AoD sell poor because their developers are confused. You can't have the cake and eat it. If you want to insult the game, do it openly. There is no need for this indirect passive agressive cowardice.
This is even funnier when I picture the comic book guy. In other news, my positive AOD review is currently rated the most helpful.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But do keep up your tireless support of the game, by all means! What every creator needs is a fanatical palace guard!

Mustawd

FACT: Lurker King is Brazilian. Which means everything he says is pretty much wrong. Just ask Excidium II , Irenaeus , Delterius , or The Brazilian Slaughter. Or any other BR I'm forgetting.

Being Brazilian means being continuously wrong about every argument ever. You can blame society, poverty or lack of a first world education. However, the real culprit is their Portuguese bloodline. Have you heard Portuguese? It sounds like someone speaking Spanish but with marbles in their mouths. Frankly, it's appalling that we even allow third worlders into our prestigious forums.

But alas, this is 2016 and the immigration quotas have been out of practice for at least a decade. I just hope one day we get rid of all the non-kwan users on this board because we really don't need posts that can be hardly understand with crappy broken English. FFS, have some class and go hang out in the slums of rpgwatch like you all deserve.

:troll:

79c1f695bbfb40a45017d0df5aca2492823ed0f4_full.jpg

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It is possible (but I think less probable) that the Second Coming will actually happen in our generation, even though every other generation before us expected it to come in theirs.
That's the thing I forget to comment on, and constantly remembered it every day after.
If it is not some kind of metaphore and you really mean Second Coming, you forgot that before there will be Antichrist.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
In other news, my positive AOD review is currently rated the most helpful.

That is because you are a developer and very polite. If any other person said the same things you said in this thread, you would be merciless criticized. My point was simple: if you think that complex games can be selling consistently well if they do the right things, but AoD didn't sell, they must be doing something wrong, what is it?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That is because you are a developer and very polite.
It's a Steam review. No one knows I'm a developer there.

My point was simple: if you think that complex games can be selling consistently well if they do the right things, but AoD didn't sell, they must be doing something wrong, what is it?
AOD is selling consistently and well for an indie RPG, so your basic premise is false. The primary ceiling for AOD's sales isn't its complexity, in any event, but its audiovisuals and lack of name recognition. Without the complexity, it wouldn't sell as well as it has -- that's its point of distinction from other glossier products on the market.

By your point is fundamentally silly because, even if two cakes is impossible dream, it is entirely possible for someone to like a product and think it could do a better job of wooing others. It's perfectly possible to have a friend you think is a kindhearted genius and to tell him that if he wore deodorant, more people would appreciate his heart and brains. It's perfectly possible to think that a hole-in-the-wall restaurant has delicious food and recommend to the owner that if it had English-language menus, it could attract additional clientele. Your basic view is that unconditional love means unadulterated adulation, but that's just not true; it's not just untrue, it is anti-true because it's the kind of sycophantic behavior that causes creators to become delusional and lose their self-critical edge. The thing is, VD is uniquely immune to such silliness, so I have no particular worries for him, but your basic mindset ("If you love a game, you must silence all criticism, especially your own!") is likely to destroy the very things you love. But at least your pathology will keep you from realizing it's ruined, so there's that at least. :D

I don't think you're a bad person, and I don't think the folks fighting a desperate rearguard action against the dumbing down of narrative games are bad people generally, I just think that you're wrong, and you could use your energy in better ways. In any event, there's no likelihood of our persuading each other. I had intended to move on with things, but while buying a bunch of AOD copies for friends, I noticed my review's popularity, and thought I'd mention it since you had insinuated I was secretly an AOD-wrecker only pretending to support the game. o7

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
My point was simple: if you think that complex games can be selling consistently well if they do the right things, but AoD didn't sell, they must be doing something wrong, what is it?
In a sense, yes (even though that's not exactly what he said). AoD could have been sold better if we did a better job in a number of areas without sacrificing any of the complexity. Fortunately, we did a good job in a number of other areas which was enough to keep us afloat. I'm well aware of the flaws, but I don't think we could have actually done better under the circumstances (small team, ambitious goals, lack of experience and budget). Hopefully, we'll show what we've learned in the CSG.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Write "it's great" and edit it (and elaborate) later.
Good thought, most difficult part for me is to begin.

I don't think you're a bad person, and I don't think the folks fighting a desperate rearguard action against the dumbing down of narrative games are bad people generally
But I think that you are bad, fundamntally confused person, who advocated principles that bear only evil.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Like Troika's dev ones said, you have to make your RPG look like something it is not, to make it look like a fun game and not just a game for nerds, you have to hide RPGness to attract buyers. So of course if your friend-genius will look and act like a regular jock, and not like a nerd, more people will like him. The only problem with AoD is that it could attract more nerds, dialogues could be more interesting if it were like in Arcanum, for example, where you didn't had this "press this line to be persuasive" type of situations. AoD can do better but it can't attract TES fans, those who prefer conceptually different approach to a game or RPG.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Like Troika's dev ones said, you have to make your RPG look like something it is not, to make it look like a fun game and not just a game for nerds, you have to hide RPGness to attract buyers. So of course if your friend-genius will look and act like a regular jock, and not like a nerd, more people will like him. The only problem with AoD is that it could attract more nerds, dialogues could be more interesting if it were like in Arcanum, for example, where you didn't had this "press this line to be persuasive" type of situations. AoD can do better but it can't attract TES fans, those who prefer conceptually different approach to a game or RPG.

I disagree. I think is all about gameplay. Even if the interface, the art and everything else is friendly, people will not get into these games if they are challenging. Either you do a cRPG with requires understanding, or you make a game like Arcanum, which has a bunch of stuff, but it is a piece of cake. The fact is that if Arcanum was released today, it would sell shit, because it is too hard for contemporary popamole standards.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Vault Dweller I bought your team's game a few weeks ago. I just committed to playing it in earnest last night. Gotta say getting through the tutorial without dying/savescumming felt pretty awesome. I felt like I can do this!, and I haven't really been into video games in years (the high off playing DOOM hot off GOG's servers may have helped). So far the combat can be a little repetitive (though shield bash has been invaluable when my guy cannot get away from a couple enemies), but I know that if I just try not to be two greedy I seem to get through it. Currently I have a x1 leveled Mercenary specializing in crossbows, bows, and block as well as alchemy with traps and mercantile (?) as some dump stats to try to save me some health/money in the future. I focused on perception and then constitution, strength, dexterity, and intelligence. No idea how it's going to work out, but I managed to kill an assassin so far, and I may head to Feng's to see about this map and weird sphere. Amazing job!
:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom