Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
which is bad why?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Finish 20% of game Codex likes and give it a shitty rating => lol casual n00b writing shit about hardcorz thingz he haz no knwldg, tr00 RPG gamme have a lot of side contentz
Finish a game Codex likes completely and give it a shitty rating => lol tryhard grimd0rk 3dgy liar, u liked teh game otherwise y would u play it for so long, amirite?

:lol::lol::lol:

Can't win with you retards no matter what you do. :roll:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The little cat, so cute.

cat.gif

Ohhh..

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Moralist dude said:
I would have liked to make a morale, kind and ethical individual but I couldn`t even by choices the character has an wicked heart no matter what you do, you will murder, steal or do all sorts of bad things even if what you`re doing seems right at the time the game will somehow twist your choice eventually to turn you into a very bad person whom is only out for their own power and prestige.

You have an achievement in which you can save a village from strangers “(“Doing the right thing”), by telling a lie and abdicating from a special potion – pretty altruistic stuff. You can also help a farmer at Maadoran, and he cries. Breaks my heart every time. You can also “save” Cassius’ life, who is a honest chap, or pay Aemola’s entry at Teron, which is mighty generous of you. As far as I can see, Vault Dweller should be considered for the Nobel Peace Prize for such an inspiring narrative in AoD.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The difference is that PoE and W2 are filled with trash mobs. You keep playing them in the hopes that something good will come along, but it never does.

PoE actually had more variety to counter this and kept you guessing for most of it. W2 combat was total autopilot after a few hours however...

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
PoE actually had more variety to counter this and kept you guessing for most of it. W2 combat was total autopilot after a few hours however...

That's an apparent variety. Tank in the front and wait for the ending of the mess.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

That's an apparent variety. Tank in the front and wait for the ending of the mess.

True, once you start seeing patterns. Enemy variety was deep/random enough (for me) to never feel burned-out - and the "Lore" system = actually useful. Helps when the game jumps the 100hr mark :?

Would be a little more memorable if it wasn't the typical fantasy setting though...

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
As a very well written and interesting game. I was quite dismayed to find so much cursing in it and also the way your choices decide your fate. I would have liked to make a morale, kind and ethical individual but I couldn`t even by choices the character has an wicked heart no matter what you do, you will murder, steal or do all sorts of bad things even if what you`re doing seems right at the time the game will somehow twist your choice eventually to turn you into a very bad person whom is only out for their own power and prestige. It just didn`t make me feel good after playing a couple of hours as I became a cursing, murderious, dishonest and wicked character as I progressed and those were with the somewhat good choices, so I thought at the time...
To me this is not nearly as bad as the "I played for 10 minutes and it was too hard so I quit" variety. As silly as his opinion is, at least he played the game and had a reaction to it.

Being "dismayed" at the negative morality is pretty amusing; it's called Age of Decadence not Age of Virtue, and it keeps warning you over and over about the decadence.

This is off on a tangent, but suddenly I'm intrigued by the idea of a prequel called Age of Virtue. It could take place during the height of the Empire.

Cadmus

Arcane
As a very well written and interesting game. I was quite dismayed to find so much cursing in it and also the way your choices decide your fate. I would have liked to make a morale, kind and ethical individual but I couldn`t even by choices the character has an wicked heart no matter what you do, you will murder, steal or do all sorts of bad things even if what you`re doing seems right at the time the game will somehow twist your choice eventually to turn you into a very bad person whom is only out for their own power and prestige. It just didn`t make me feel good after playing a couple of hours as I became a cursing, murderious, dishonest and wicked character as I progressed and those were with the somewhat good choices, so I thought at the time...
but this is true

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

He has a point.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

He has a point.

Agreed, very well written and interesting :incline:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
To me this is not nearly as bad as the "I played for 10 minutes and it was too hard so I quit" variety. As silly as his opinion is, at least he played the game and had a reaction to it.

It's much worse. At least in these criticisms you have an expectation about gameplay. In this case the player has an expectation about moral content. It's pure moralism.

Being "dismayed" at the negative morality is pretty amusing; it's called Age of Decadence not Age of Political Correctness, and it keeps warning you over and over about the decadence.

Fixed.

Cadmus

Arcane

It's much worse. At least in these criticisms you have an expectation about gameplay. In this case the player has an expectation about moral content. It's pure moralism.

Being "dismayed" at the negative morality is pretty amusing; it's called Age of Decadence not Age of Political Correctness, and it keeps warning you over and over about the decadence.

Fixed.
What - so he doesn't like playing a lying murder-hobo. I think that's a completely valid point of view. Same as you wouldn't like playing a pink-haired trans teen. It's not for everybody.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
What - so he doesn't like playing a lying murder-hobo. I think that's a completely valid point of view. Same as you wouldn't like playing a pink-haired trans teen. It's not for everybody.

It's a hypocrisy because 99% of cRPG games revolve around violence and conquering. The difference is that most of them have cardboard characters and simplistic story lines so that there is no thought about the stuff you do in gameplay. But AoD is well written, the characters are believable and the events are portrayed in a realistic manner. I would have no problems playing with a pink-haired trans teen if xir and the world around xir were believable. LOL

Cadmus

Arcane

It's a hypocrisy because 99% of cRPG games revolve around violence and conquering. The difference is that most of them have cardboard characters and simplistic story lines so that there is no thought about the stuff you do in gameplay. AoD is well written, the characters are believable, the events are portrayed in a realistic manner. I would have no problems playing with a pink-haired trans teen if the world around xir were believable. LOL
You're right the world is more believable but that makes you play an asshole. In Skyrim (the best RPG) you don't play the asshole, you play a good guy who kills totally evil orcs and shit. As I said, it's just not for everyone. I think the complaint is valid as the person was not the target audience.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You're right the world is more believable but that makes you play an asshole. In Skyrim (the best RPG) you don't play the asshole, you play a good guy who kills totally evil orcs and shit. As I said, it's just not for everyone. I think the complaint is valid as the person was not the target audience.

Not good enough. I can explain why I don’t like a movie while recognizing that is a good movie for a certain genre. The same thing applies to cRPGs. Just because you don’t enjoy dealing with assholes doesn’t entitle you to dismiss the writing and down vote the game. It's not an impartial criticism.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Did you missed this?
Lurker King said:
You have an achievement in which you can save a village from strangers “(“Doing the right thing”), by telling a lie and abdicating from a special potion – pretty altruistic stuff. You can also help a farmer at Maadoran, and he cries. Breaks my heart every time. You can also “save” Cassius’ life, who is a honest chap, or pay Aemola’s entry at Teron, which is mighty generous of you. As far as I can see, Vault Dweller should be considered for the Nobel Peace Prize for such an inspiring narrative in AoD.
Adding to that, you can help Caius Amerius with regaining his house. You can also keep your word with the dirty guy by the well, you can be buddy-buddy with the assholes in the Slums (and get mugged in one of them). There's actually a LOT of opportunities and dialogue options to be the good guy. I don't understand how that guy missed them after tens of hours of gameplay...

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
People need to differentiate their personal tastes from impartial tasting. You can frown on white wine, but still be able to evaluate whether it is good white wine or not. The same thing holds for cRPGs.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Made me think that Steam could do something like they did with curators, but even if Steam reviews had the same recommended/not recommended/informational review distinctions that the curator system has now, then people doing "meh, not for me" reviews would probably still give it thumbs down rather than mark it "informational"...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Good can only work in black and white situations. Slavers - bad. Opposing slavers - good. Supermutants killing people - bad, fighting super mutants - good (even if the master's motivations weren't entirely evil). AoD has different factions playing in the same backyard, so you can't do good for your faction without doing what other factions would consider "evil". Furthermore, you can't do good for your faction by performing abstract good deeds as they won't solve their problems and achieve their goals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom