Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Age of Decadence - Tips, Tricks and Spoilers

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Managed to kill that Widowmaker dude, and suddenly realised why he was so hard to beat when I saw his gear. Holy shit. Stole his hat and axe immediately, but the armour was a tad too heavy for my liking; I prefer to stay at 11 AP
Yes that was a nice suprise. My character has exactly 10 AP so it was perfect. Makes me all the happier that I went for alchemy instead of crafting. Up to that point I was using the blue steel lorica segmentata (also 10 AP max) that you can buy from the merchant in Maaduran.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Oh... those chests were always there, it's just I never once stayed at an inn, haha. And yeah, all these points in crafting seem pretty wasted on this character, since basically everything I've used was either looted (mostly from the arena) or purchased. I made some meteor stuff just because, but I can do fine without them. I think there was a few very minor points that used crafting, like the pass defence, but nothing worth writing home about.

Things to remember for the next run I guess. Onwards and upwards.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
I think there was a few very minor points that used crafting, like the pass defence, but nothing worth writing home about.
From the top of my head: The jellyfish artifact in Teron and the generator in the library are exlcusive to crafters (no higher than lvl4). Other content can often be accessed with another skill check.

The pass defense also has an alchemy check. All in all, alchemy seems the better choice to me. All my gear was looted or bought and is (almost) on par with what you can craft. Whereas stuff you create with alchemy is simply not available through other means, like poison that does 11 damage, bombs that do damage to 13 squares and improved regeneration.

bati

Scholar
6/6 alchemy/crafting is the sweet spot if you're doing a hybrid run imo. I don't think you need more to access any content - maybe 8 to disable constructs in the final temple but I think it's 6 as well. I don't think any further points in alchemy are worth it, 2-4 extra dmg per tick for poison isn't worth it, healing salves are useless because the game literally throws gold at you so you can visit a healer every time you sneeze and bombs are more of a utility so the damage isn't that important - and I found the extra range on higher versions more of a hindrance than help. Crafting is nice if you take it all the way to 10, 8 is not worth it because there are plenty of blue steel weapons available in the game, some as early as Teron if you got the right stats.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Alchemy is a nice luxury but it doesn't unlock any content or return SP, unlike Crafting. Crafting is needed to get Antidas' scroll, to pass the INT+Crafting=15 check in Saross, and to start up the Skyship, so it is far more essential to a Lore run.

2 Alchemy for basic poison and healing salves (which you get for free in Assassin) is worth it, maybe bump it up to make liquid fire for bow builds. The only real incentive to bump alchemy after that is to make the superior cell regeneration potion. Again, a sweet but non-essential perk; at least it comes with a title.

In addition to being able to craft topend armors for dodge builds, Crafting also directly adds to your damage output with whetstones, so there's very little reason not to take Crafting to 8 or 10 and over Alchemy if you are a melee dodger. The whetstone damage is especially nice for Axe and Dagger builds.

Last edited:

bati

Scholar
The thing is, you damage will suffer somewhat if you're playing a hybrid. So while 3 points of poison dmg per round isn't really much, 7 (at lvl 6) is pretty good. If you want more you start hitting diminishing returns pretty hard because as you pointed out, alchemy doesn't really gate much of the content, the few checks that are there are mostly just flavor. I think things would be different if the game had some kind of in-combat healing, even if it was severely limited or temporary (raise hp temporarily and then lose it gradually over the next few rounds). As it is though, defense stat investment >>>>>>>> alchemy.

As for cellular regeneration, I think it's a noobtrap. Combat doesn't last long enough to make it worthwhile, even at 2 hp per round.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Alchemy is a nice luxury but it doesn't unlock any content or return SP, unlike Crafting.

I generally agree with you, but there are a couple of small checks, like reducing the oil needed for the generator in Saross and opening the hidden door in Al-Akia (if you don't have the strength). I also think it's used to poison the Ordu in a couple of paths (the alternative being having poison [I assume] and passing a dex. + streetwise [?]) check. I don't know the exact values, but think 6 seems to be enough to clear the first two.

EDIT: bati The HP regen is actually nice for some builds. High defense builds can make good use of it--it can smooth the freak blows that get through an unarmoured dodger and compensate for armour piercing hits on heavily armoured builds. There are also quite a few fights that last more than five rounds--I can think of two IG fights post-Teron, of the thugs blocking the Temple District, and optional ones like Aemolas' village or the Inferiae villagers. Really, unless you're starting with 35HP or fewer, it's worth considering.

...But not the regen potion at the Temple, obviously, that seems like a "fuck you" trap.

Last edited:

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Alchemy is a nice luxury but it doesn't unlock any content or return SP, unlike Crafting. Crafting is needed to get Antidas' scroll, to pass the INT+Crafting=15 check in Saross, and to start up the Skyship, so it is far more essential to a Lore run.

I did the library of Soross with 4 crafting + 8 Int. Other than that, you're right that crafting unlocks content and alchemy doesn't. However, following the IG path I got crafting at lvl 3 for free and invested 10 SP to get it to lvl 4.

The choice is between high lvl alchemy or high lvl crafting. A few levels in the other should be possible on any build. And in my experience so far, alchemy at high levels makes you character a lot more powerful than crafting does.

Parabalus

Arcane
I did the library of Soross with 4 crafting + 8 Int. Other than that, you're right that crafting unlocks content and alchemy doesn't. However, following the IG path I got crafting at lvl 3 for free and invested 10 SP to get it to lvl 4.

The choice is between high lvl alchemy or high lvl crafting. A few levels in the other should be possible on any build. And in my experience so far, alchemy at high levels makes you character a lot more powerful than crafting does.

You got it with 4+8 because you had talking skills to get the injector off Abukar.

Alchemy is no doubt stronger for pure combat, you can kill stuff just by bomb spamming. Crafting for combat is a bit meh <10 because you can just loot stuff which is better than what you craft, no such luxury with alchemy on extended berserk or ns. 10 vs 10 is still easily alchemy I'd say, but crafting is much cooler and you need it at 4 for Teron content, 6 for generators so I usually go all the way and leave alch low, 2-4.

On that note, you can get 7 or 9, can't remember, poison from the scorpions in Dead River en masse.

As for cellular regeneration, I think it's a noobtrap. Combat doesn't last long enough to make it worthwhile, even at 2 hp per round.

It's useful in long fights, the pass or inferniae, with no defenses, come to mind. Ironically it's quite worthwhile vs the villagers if you craft it on the spot. You need combat to go 5 rounds to break even with the 10 Alch one if you have high DEX, that's isn't that uncommon even with all offense builds, except for tentacle god.

Jason Liang

Arcane
You get SP for macguyvering your own injector, so I usually plan to take crafting to at least 8 with a 7 INT character.

I just found out that you can actually survive traps if you bump CON to 5. I thought traps had been patched to be fatal to make the Trap skill more useful, but actually it's only because I dumped CON on all my characters after I did the God/ Goddess path once. If taking 1 point of CON lets you dump the Trap skill, that saves about 35 SP, which is about how much you get/ save by bumping INT from 7 to 8.

So far here's the breakdown of each stat:

STR:
4: Strength is generally dumpable, depending on what weapon you are comfortable using
5: is needed to loot Camilla's estate (+2 civ sp, +2 generic sp) and for other climbing checks

DEX:
7: is needed to go along with 5 STR to use the rope with grappling hook for climbing (with 3 throwing)
8: is needed to break into Feng's house from the roof (+2 civ sp) and to use the climbing hook for climbing checks with 5 STR
9: is needed occasionally for critical strike checks
10: is generally excessive since it's difficult to acquire good 12 AP armor

CON:
4: dumpable if you don't care about trapped chests or are willing to spend about 35-50 SP on the trap skill and aren't going for a specific ending
5: allows you to survive most of the traps, so you can safely dump the trap skill. Allows you to get the specific ending by using the healing machine twice to raise CON to 7
6: allows you to survive a trap in the Thief Guild path, and to get the specific ending by using the healing machine once to raise CON to 7

PER:
7: Allows you to pass some PER checks
8: Allows you to pass all of the essential PER checks

INT:
7: Allows you to pass most INT checks
8: Allows you to complete the Grain of Truth quest so it's a good target if you plan to work for House Aurelian
9, 10: Allows you to access all the lore

CHA:
4: Generally dumpable, as some of the perks from 7 CHA (like training) aren't useful, depending on build
7: Allows you to raise your reputation for certain checks and endings and get nearly all the perks. Very useful in some paths like Assassin, but 3 stat points is a lot
9: Used for the Chosen One path

So basically for a generic character you are looking at a base of 5/7/4/8/7/7 with 2 spare stat points to split between DEX, CON and INT. Or you can dump CHA and go with 5/8/5/8/8/4

Parabalus

Arcane
I just found out that you can actually survive traps if you bump CON to 5. I thought traps had been patched to be fatal to make the Trap skill more useful, but actually it's only because I dumped CON on all my characters after I did the God/ Goddess path once. If taking 1 point of CON lets you dump the Trap skill, that saves about 35 SP, which is about how much you get/ save by bumping INT from 7 to 8.

The damage varies, the chest with the blue marculos does 35, you need 6. Hellgate traps do 45-50, so it's mostly useful for Teron.

So far here's the breakdown of each stat:

STR:
4: Strength is generally dumpable, depending on what weapon you are comfortable using
5: is needed to loot Camilla's estate (+2 civ sp, +2 generic sp) and for other climbing checks

DEX:
7: is needed to go along with 5 STR to use the rope with grappling hook for climbing (with 3 throwing)
8: is needed to break into Feng's house from the roof (+2 civ sp) and to use the climbing hook for climbing checks with 5 STR
9: is needed occasionally for critical strike checks
10: is generally excessive since it's difficult to acquire good 12 AP armor

CON:
4: dumpable if you don't care about trapped chests or are willing to spend about 35-50 SP on the trap skill and aren't going for a specific ending
5: allows you to survive most of the traps, so you can safely dump the trap skill. Allows you to get the specific ending by using the healing machine twice to raise CON to 7
6: allows you to survive a trap in the Thief Guild path, and to get the specific ending by using the healing machine once to raise CON to 7

PER:
7: Allows you to pass some PER checks
8: Allows you to pass all of the essential PER checks

INT:
7: Allows you to pass most INT checks
8: Allows you to complete the Grain of Truth quest so it's a good target if you plan to work for House Aurelian
9, 10: Allows you to access all the lore

CHA:
4: Generally dumpable, as some of the perks from 7 CHA (like training) aren't useful, depending on build
7: Allows you to raise your reputation for certain checks and endings and get nearly all the perks. Very useful in some paths like Assassin, but 3 stat points is a lot
9: Used for the Chosen One path

So basically for a generic character you are looking at a base of 5/7/4/8/7/7 with 2 spare stat points to split between DEX, CON and INT. Or you can dump CHA and go with 5/8/5/8/8/4

A few minor additions to the excellent list:

• You can climb Antidas mansion with 4 STR, that's the only climbing check without an alternative solution so it's ok to have 4 STR if you have talking skills for the others.
  • 8 INT is also needed for Kingmaker>Diplomat.
  • CHA is (in most cases) mandatory to get a good ending if you betray a guild for another, not needed if you are loyal.
  • You need 6 DEX for Blacksmith house, you can get into Feng's if you run him off, even after he trains you
  • About PER, I think all checks have a proxy for PER <8 except the grooved sphere one, but it's easily the stat

bati

Scholar
  • You can climb Antidas mansion with 4 STR, that's the only climbing check without an alternative solution so it's ok to have 4 STR if you have talking skills for the others.
  • 8 INT is also needed for Kingmaker>Diplomat.

Antidas' mansion has throwing (3 points needed to use the climbing rope) as alternative. Imo worth it on crossbow builds since you get 1:1 attack rating conversion to crossbows from throwing so your accuracy doesn't suffer in the beginning due to branching out. This doesn't work no noblewoman's house I think, I'm pretty sure I had to talk my way in there.

8 INT is also useful for killing Guardian in Inferiae with the help of the console, as well as incinerating everyone above ground. Once I returned to the scorched Inferiae I got some extra SP.

bati

Scholar
Can you use healing machine twice as thief?
my path to ascending was by betrayal of thieves guild in 2nd city, as such I had only 1 container right?

Yes. You can use the jar that Levir sends you after before returning to him and then simply tell him that you didn't find it. If you return before using it you won't have this option. I have not tried stashing it at the inn first to test though. I don't know how betrayal path ends, sorry.

You can also get two canisters as Assassin, requires siding with Lady Lorenza. But in this case one of the chosen options will be +1 CON because Levir's Loremaster apparently isn't smart enough to figure out that there are other options.

Parabalus

Arcane
Antidas' mansion has throwing (3 points needed to use the climbing rope) as alternative. Imo worth it on crossbow builds since you get 1:1 attack rating conversion to crossbows from throwing so your accuracy doesn't suffer in the beginning due to branching out. This doesn't work no noblewoman's house I think, I'm pretty sure I had to talk my way in there.

8 INT is also useful for killing Guardian in Inferiae with the help of the console, as well as incinerating everyone above ground. Once I returned to the scorched Inferiae I got some extra SP.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, you can do it with 4 STR + Throw, not without Throwing. Camille for instance you can't climb over with throwing if you have 4 STR.

I didn't know you get extra SP when you visit the desolation, I always killed them because I didn't want to lose SP, good to know.
Yes. You can use the jar that Levir sends you after before returning to him and then simply tell him that you didn't find it. If you return before using it you won't have this option. I have not tried stashing it at the inn first to test though. I don't know how betrayal path ends, sorry.

You can also get two canisters as Assassin, requires siding with Lady Lorenza. But in this case one of the chosen options will be +1 CON because Levir's Loremaster apparently isn't smart enough to figure out that there are other options.
You can get Levir's container by not giving it back during the mission, or by giving it to him and "helping" him with the procedure. Assassins and Merchants can deal with Lorenza to get the latter option as well, think that's it.

bati

Scholar
You can get Levir's container by not giving it back during the mission, or by giving it to him and "helping" him with the procedure. Assassins and Merchants can deal with Lorenza to get the latter option as well, think that's it.

True, forgot about that option - I only tried it once and found it more annoying than simply using the canister before I returned to him so I forgot about it :lol:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I'm starting to realise just how many hidden options and places and whatnot are in this. I just managed to Ascend (kneel, peasant), but I still haven't found a way into that spire with the glowing door, or what that weird diving helmet does, or what to do with the demon core, or if the arch does anything, or how to reactivate the bridge, or how to install the eye, or what the glove does, and I haven't even tried the assassin/thief quest lines yet. So much stuff! The power armour is pretty awesome too; I love that you can see the helmet changing when you choose a different setting. I also may have mistakenly destroyed Maadoran once, and I don't know what that helps, either.

bati

Scholar
I'll write down what each of the things you listed does (to the best of my knowledge, someone correct me if I'm wrong) - assuming you're actually interested and not just wondering out loud.

You can reach the spire/minaret (I'm not sure if we mean the same thing here) by having sufficiently high INT and lore in Inferiae underground so you can activate the portal.

Diving helmet is used to enter the arch without getting torn to shreds.

Demon core is used to enter the Tower of Zamedi

You can reactivate the bridge if you have the amulet from Feng (Eye of something something, there's an alternate source of it but I don't remember from where) and have high enough lore and crafting.

You can have Clemens in Temple District install the eye. It's used to peer into the Arch.

Destroying Maadoran automatically makes you BFFs with Meru and opens up access to Al Akia, something that might otherwise not be accessible for your chosen background/course of action you've taken throughout the game.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I am, but I don't think I'll look it up just yet. Maybe if I play through a bunch of other characters through different questlines and still haven't unlocked their mysteries, then it'll be time to click the spoiler button. Until then, I've still got plenty of other avenues to explore, like resuming my previous save from before I ascended and finding out just what crazy ol' Miltiades is up to next.

Jazz_

Arcane
As a pure ''talker'' (street-wise/lore merchant) in Hellgate I have read that all you need to do is destroy the construct with bombs, I did that, met Bennie and he wants me to find him a spear, the problem is that the spear is kept in a room that's guarded by many other constructs and I'm out of bombs (can you even buy more than 2? I bought them in the slums and the trader only had 2). what to do now?

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
As a pure ''talker'' (street-wise/lore merchant) in Hellgate I have read that all you need to do is destroy the construct with bombs, I did that, met Bennie and he wants me to find him a spear, the problem is that the spear is kept in a room that's guarded by many other constructs and I'm out of bombs (can you even buy more than 2? I bought them in the slums and the trader only had 2). what to do now?

If you're a talker you should've been able to get Bennie to help you (he gives you something).

AngryKobold

Arcane
The tip is to edit saves in order to override the game crap mechanics. The trick is to use a hex editor in order to write correct values at correct offsets.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The last update.

A test build containing many changes and mechanics from Dungeon Rats is now available, should you wish to give it a try.

To access the test build, right click on the game in your Steam library, select Properties, click on Betas tab. If it’s set on “None - Opt out of all beta programs”, change it to Test – Private Testing Branch. Enter the Access Code (‘blacksheepwall’), click on Check Code, and wait for Steam to download the files.

We've tested the build and so far everything *appears* to be working correctly, but there were quite a few changes to the scripts so it's possible that we failed to detect something. We'll continue testing for another week or so. You can either try the build now or wait until it's released officially.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I'm starting to realise just how many hidden options and places and whatnot are in this. I just managed to Ascend (kneel, peasant), but I still haven't found a way into that spire with the glowing door, or what that weird diving helmet does, or what to do with the demon core, or if the arch does anything, or how to reactivate the bridge, or how to install the eye, or what the glove does, and I haven't even tried the assassin/thief quest lines yet. So much stuff! The power armour is pretty awesome too; I love that you can see the helmet changing when you choose a different setting. I also may have mistakenly destroyed Maadoran once, and I don't know what that helps, either.

you made me cave and buy the game asshole

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom