Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Age of Decadence - Tips, Tricks and Spoilers

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
People should go on game-strike until they fix this + bring the airship to Teron!

To be fair: they worked at least for ten years at this thing. In ten years you get even more ambitious and worn-out, especially with your first big project.

But yeah, maybe Teron as the mainhub could have been enough.

Latelistener

Arcane
Gonna start my first proper run (never got past Teron) and want to go with fighter/talker hybrid with something like 8/8/8/8/4/4.

Is pumping points in axes/dodge/CS/alchemy/crafting AND persuasion/streetwise viable with such build, or will it dilute me too much?
I will speak from my experience only. I think you don't really need that much STR and CON to be successful in combat. I would use 2 points from each to boost INT: 6/8/6/8/8/4.

If you're hardcore, you can try 4/6/6/8/7/9, but combat may become unbearable and you will be limited to daggers and crossbows. I don't recommend that especially if you never got past Teron.

Is pumping points in axes/dodge/CS/alchemy/crafting AND persuasion/streetwise viable with such build, or will it dilute me too much?
I never boosted CS above 6 and alchemy above 4, but alchemy is vital in the beginning. I would also recommend you using shields (block) instead of dodge. It's also a powerful combination with spears.

I'd rather avoid rolling with combat-only mongoloid, but am wondering if putting only couple of points in street/pers is worth anything, if I won't be able to pass most of the checks due to low CHA.
I ended up having 8 points in persuasion and 4 points in streetwise. CHA is not really that important.

Piotrovitz

Savant
I will speak from my experience only. I think you don't really need that much STR and CON to be successful in combat. I would use 2 points from each to boost INT: 6/8/6/8/8/4.
Seems like a good advice, I'll dump some STR and CON.
Is 7 INT enough to get a lot of interesting content (assuming I won't put much, if anything, in lore), or 8 is some kind of a threshold for that?

I would also recommend you using shields (block) instead of dodge. It's also a powerful combination with spears.
I'd suggest spears if you insist on a first run hybrid.
Yeah, I heard that spear+shield is the way to go, but I don't want to have it too easy and will probably settle for swords or axes + dodge ]:->

Latelistener

Arcane
Seems like a good advice, I'll dump some STR and CON.
Is 7 INT enough to get a lot of interesting content (assuming I won't put much, if anything, in lore), or 8 is some kind of a threshold for that?
If you have enough Lore, you will be able to... unlock great properties of a certain item that will allow you to boost STR and DEX. Lore and Crafting should be your main civil skills as they unlock really great things. There will be also a place where you can permanently increase one of your physical stats. Normally it should be CON.

INT 8 is needed for objects that will reveal background information. I know of only one place where 9 is required, but it's just a shortcut and you will be able to find another way.

Yeah, I heard that spear+shield is the way to go, but I don't want to have it too easy and will probably settle for swords or axes + dodge ]:->
Spear has a passive ability to hit and push away whoever is trying to get close to you, but there must be 1 square between you and them. So, if they got close, you bash them with a shield and your passive ability will have a chance to work again. It really helps when facing multiple opponents.

Johannes

Arcane
I recommend Lore for just about any build, it lets you get more info on the backstory and it also pays itself back pretty well.
Also Sneak/Stealth/Lockpick 4 is very recommended for almost anyone, first two give you at least as much skill points as they take, and latter is cheap and required to get some of the best loot in the game (if you can reach those safes first)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lol, why even have the option to go there then?
The game in unfinished. The third city is practically barebones.
We worked on Ganezzar for a year so we definitely didn't cut any corners there. It has as much content as any other city, if not more, but the content you get is filtered down by past choices and events. If you don't go looking for Elias when prompted by zealots, you miss the entire fork (4 quests) with quite a few characters, including Miltiades. If you don't side with Marcus, you skip the power armor quest. If you don't become the arena champion, you can't fight in the fort. The faction quests have forks too (side with Hamza or with Varro, recruit Carrinas to break the siege, etc).

Tigranes

Arcane
Ganezzar looks more barebones, but yeah, there's quite a few 'endgamey' quests to do there.

Latelistener

Arcane
Glad you liked it. I naively expected it to have a broader appeal too (because I didn't know better) but it had very little exposure and thus sold mostly to people who really liked AoD combat. As of today AoD sold 144k copies, DR 40k. Without AoD (if it were our first game to test the waters) it would have sold 8-10k copies at best.

I don't regret it because we couldn't jump to Colony Ship right away and making a quick combat game, no matter how limited, was the best option, considering that it allowed us to test party-based gameplay, XP divided between the party members, CHA-driven party size, etc.

It was never meant to be a Quality RPG (no game that has 50 linear fights has a shot at this title), but it was the best we could do in 10 months.
I wish you made an expansion for the game instead, similar to Expedition and patch some things while doing this. From what I understand there was suppose to be some kind of a city above Maadoran. I don't think it would have sold less than DR.

And there is the problem with Ganezzar. It's an extension of Maadoran and not much of a thing on its own. Technically there is only one quest there (nobles vs fanatics) and that's it. This expansions also could've added some content to it.

I know that nothing can be done now, but I think it's a wasted opportunity.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Glad you liked it. I naively expected it to have a broader appeal too (because I didn't know better) but it had very little exposure and thus sold mostly to people who really liked AoD combat. As of today AoD sold 144k copies, DR 40k. Without AoD (if it were our first game to test the waters) it would have sold 8-10k copies at best.

I don't regret it because we couldn't jump to Colony Ship right away and making a quick combat game, no matter how limited, was the best option, considering that it allowed us to test party-based gameplay, XP divided between the party members, CHA-driven party size, etc.

It was never meant to be a Quality RPG (no game that has 50 linear fights has a shot at this title), but it was the best we could do in 10 months.
I wish you made an expansion for the game instead, similar to Expedition and patch some things while doing this. From what I understand there was suppose to be some kind of a city above Maadoran. I don't think it would have sold less than DR.
We kept patching things and adding minor improvements for 2 years after release. An expansion adding some mid-game content like the hub above Maadoran wouldn't have sold much (10-15k copies tops). An expansion adding some post-ending content would have been receieved as well as Ganezzar: the content would have been split between factions and choices within each faction (Did Paullus side with Gaelius or Meru? Did Carrinas break the siege and betray Paullus or not? Etc), giving you 15-20 min per playthrough and creating much outrage.

And there is the problem with Ganezzar. It's an extension of Maadoran and not much of a thing on its own. Technically there is only one quest there (nobles vs fanatics) and that's it. This expansions also could've added some content to it.
Not sure what you mean. Like any other city Ganezzar has over 15 faction quests ('over' meaning quest forks), which is a big chunk of work, plus the side quests I mentioned earlier. That "one" quest you mentioned consists of 5 quests, more if Miltiades get involved.

Latelistener

Arcane
We kept patching things and adding minor improvements for 2 years after release. An expansion adding some mid-game content like the hub above Maadoran wouldn't have sold much (10-15k copies tops).
I disagree about the sales, since people who bought Dungeon Rats are the same people interested in AoD. They would have bought any additional content.

I have more than 200 hours in the game and when I completed it the fourth time I put my hand on my forehead and thought: "Why the hell did they make Dungeon Rats? Who was asking for it? This needs a good expansion."

That's just my personal experience.

Not sure what you mean. Like any other city Ganezzar has over 15 faction quests ('over' meaning quest forks), which is a big chunk of work, plus the side quests I mentioned earlier. That "one" quest you mentioned consists of 5 quests, more if Miltiades get involved.
Maadoran has 6 districts: The main area where you get the arena quests, the protection quest, a massive fight in the desert, one or two encounters involving a trader; the slums, which have 2 big fights, the package quest and the awesome well adventures; The Abyss; the trading district which has the monastery quest, the gem quest and a crazy loremaster (which technically isn't a part of any quest, but still important); the noble houses which have only one quest that involves the armor. All of this are side activities.

You will also get access to: Library of Saross, Zamedi, Inferiae, The Arch, Monastery (also, possibly Dead River and Hellgate).

Okay, now we're arriving in Ganezzar and... well... there is only one quest line of the size of the protection quest line from Maadoran; a continuation of the armor quest with a big fight in the end and a small version of the arena. That's it.

You will get access to the Facility, Dead River and Hellgate.

That sums it up I think. Also, after the siege Ganezzar looks like nothing happened.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Gonna start my first proper run (never got past Teron) and want to go with fighter/talker hybrid with something like 8/8/8/8/4/4.

I'd rather avoid rolling with combat-only mongoloid, but am wondering if putting only couple of points in street/pers is worth anything, if I won't be able to pass most of the checks due to low CHA.

Way too ambitious with your skills. In general, don't stress too hard trying to make a great hybrid character who can access as much content as possible. It's doable, but it's something people do in advanced playthroughs once they have everything figured out and know how to extract every skill point possible. You don't so you'll suck and you'll end up restarting. It's just how it is, learning how to do great hybrids is what makes AoD amazingly replayable, but you gotta learn the ropes first.

I'd say try to make a decent combat dude with maxed crafting, ditch alchemy and if there's skill points free put them in one of the talky skills.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah. Before you roll, you might agonise "but what if I miss this and what if I miss that?" But just play with a guy who focuses on 3-4 skills, and you'll find there's plenty of content and fun to be had, with plenty of moments where your character's limitations shape your playthrough. After all, you're playing to play a character and to get some C&C, not to painstakingly squeeze out every possible drop of content in the least amount of time.

Hybrids are possible on first tries. But as a rule, you want to think about 2-3 main skills, and then a couple more skills that you put luxury points into.

And the way AOD checks work, I'd say for luxury skills, having 5 Pers is better than 3 Pers / 3 Street. If it was your main skill, 5 Pers would get you pretty far in Teron. But as a luxury skill, it's probably going to get to 5 well into Maadoran. And you don't want to sit there with 3 Per 3 Street.

Deleted Member 22431

It's the city architecture. It feels cramped, tight. A plan city, with more space between buildings and the same quests, would be more enjoyable.

"Why the hell did they make Dungeon Rats? Who was asking for it? This needs a good expansion."
Idiot.

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's the city architecture. It feels cramped, tight. A plan city, with more space between buildings and the same quests, would be more enjoyable.
That was done on purpose. It was supposed to be cramped and overrun by the gathering zealots. Not saying it was a great idea or that it was executed well.

Black Angel

Arcane
That was done on purpose. It was supposed to be cramped and overrun by the gathering zealots. Not saying it was a great idea or that it was executed well.
I actually like Ganezzar's overall design, because after both Teron and Maadoran which were mostly on ground level, Ganezzar has you scale upward the city to explore it. Verticality is rather rare in many isometric RPGs I've played (which is why I'm so fond of Underrail), so a city like Ganezzar is more than welcome, despite of being cramped and tight. I'd like more side content not bound by factional quests and decisions we made earlier, though, even if only 1 or 2. Especially in those residential area right in front of the palace, because I don't remember there being *anything* important there, other than you pass through there to get to the palace or the flying fortress.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I'm playing with the idea beating the game in a combat-only run. Is it possible? Do I just need to put all the points in physical attributes? What weapons would you recomment?

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm playing with the idea beating the game in a combat-only run. Is it possible? Do I just need to put all the points in physical attributes? What weapons would you recomment?
The more STR you have the bigger the bonus to a weapon's damage output. Smaller types of weapons have less damage, which means lesser bonus (or lesser penalty). The opposite is true for bigger weapons. So you should choose depending on your STR. Axes, hammers and spears are generally a good choice.

I don't think it will be interesting though, so that's why I recommend something like 6/8/6/8/8/4. That's enough to kill anything and pass many important attribute checks.

Black Angel

Arcane
The more STR you have the bigger the bonus to a weapon's damage output. Smaller types of weapons have less damage, which means lesser bonus (or lesser penalty). The opposite is true for bigger weapons. So you should choose depending on your STR. Axes, hammers and spears are generally a good choice.

I don't think it will be interesting though, so that's why I recommend something like 6/8/6/8/8/4. That's enough to kill anything and pass many important attribute checks.
I think forgoing mental stats (PER-INT-CHA) and put all points into physical stats is pretty much my first playthrough, something like 10/10/8/4/4/4 or even alternating between only 9 STR or DEX so you can put 9 CON and 10 into your preferred stat that modifies your offensive-defensive of choice (say, if you prefer Axe-Block, 10 STR; if Sword-Dodge, 10 DEX). Heck, I even beat the final boss *without* the Power Armor, nets, and bolas at all. Only a combination of the best armor I can craft to accommodate maximum defense capability, that artifact-tier bomb you activate through Crafting as first strike, and then using meteorite weaponry to bleed him to death (since I was Sword-Dodge + CS at the time).

Latelistener

Arcane
Thanks! What about nets? I found them useful enough for a first round. Same goes for bombs.
Never used nets and bolas much, but bombs are beyond OP and thus hard to come by. I kept them for tougher fights. It's worth to put 4 points into alchemy just for bombs and poison.

Johannes

Arcane
Is sneak penalty for armor ever checked in the game? And does the "reaction modifier" that CHA has have any significance, seems that CHA is only ever used for binary checks?

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Is sneak penalty for armor ever checked in the game? And does the "reaction modifier" that CHA has have any significance, seems that CHA is only ever used for binary checks?
Iirc, the sneak penalty was never checked, it was kind of cut-content or something. Need Vault Dweller to confirm it. Although, whenever I played a sneaky character, I always made him wear light armor, although I probably played one wearing power armor at some point, so I wouldn't exactly notice if heavy armor affect sneaking at all.

As for reaction modifier that CHA has, it actually modify faction reputation changes, so if you have positive modifier, you'll obviously get higher and higher increase in reputation whenever you do something positive for a faction. The end number of this faction reputation will affect the ending slides you have with said faction, I remember being sent into the wasteland by House Antidas because of lower faction reputation when I played low CHA character, and yet another playthrough I was made governor or something when playing high CHA character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom