Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (AoE1 HD rerelease)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
20 years after its launch, Microsoft is proud to announce the Definitive Edition of the original Age of Empires. Fully remastered with 4k graphics, re-orchestrated soundtrack, major gameplay improvements, new narrative, Xbox Live multiplayer and achievements, the Definitive Edition brings back the classic game and its Rise of Rome expansion.

And supposedly more news about the franchise around Gamescom. I guess a new AoE game...for PC and XBOX, at best.

pippin

I'm interested to see how this turns out. AoE1 was fun but incredibly dated nowadays, although not as dated as C&C1/RA1.

Deleted member 7219

Yes, they'll need to improve some gameplay and AI elements (hotkeys, queues, grouping, pathfinding) - but the visuals definitely look a lot better. Would like the option to play with the original soundtrack though - it's a classic.

Looking forward to playing the campaigns again - they were brutal.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I've sorta given up on the RTS genre a long time ago, but for the HD necromancing of my darling franchise I'll once again get my fat ass up to pull by portemonnaie out. One. Last.Time.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.forgottenempires.net/age-of-empires-definitive-edition

In 1997, Age of Empires changed RTS games forever. Today, twenty years later, Age of Empires: Definitive Edition begins that transformation anew with all-new graphics, remastered sound and music, and a smooth UI experience rebuilt from the ground up! Play the legendary RTS that started it all!

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will be available on the Windows Store later this year. Exact date to be announced!

aoede_header_civilizations-1024x40.png

Play all the civilizations from the original Age of Empires and the Rise of Rome expansion!

• Assyrians – Restore the might of the Assyrian Empire under Adad-nirari II and terrify your enemies as the supreme Assyrian archers darken the sun with the shafts of their arrows.
  • Babylonians – Walk through the Ishtar Gate, ascend ziggurats, and explore the great city of Babylon, a testament to your people’s mastery of stone masonry. Its palace garden, a wonder of the world, was truly paradise on earth.
  • Carthaginians – Lead Carthage from city-state to empire and challenge the might of Rome with menacing war elephants and an indomitable navy.
  • Choson – Control the advanced kingdom of Gojoseon and expand your territory by alliance or through the might of your powerful swordsmen.
  • Egyptians – Sail the Nile River, construct massive pyramids to send your pharaohs to godhood, and lead armies of powerful charioteers as you vie for control of the rich lands of Canaan and the Levant.
  • Greeks – Establish colonies using your mobile fleets, resolve internal conflicts, and command armies of swift hoplites as you expand your domain.
  • Hittites – Pouring out of the rocky hills of Anatolia, the Hittites were the terror of the Near East. Lay waste to enemy cities with armies of skilled bowmen and durable siege engines.
  • Macedonians – Relive the conquests of Alexander the Great at the head of an army of disciplined infantry and powerful siege engines, building a vast empire stretching from Greece to India.
  • Minoans – Construct vast fleets of ships and build a Mediterranean trade network that will be commemorated on the vibrant frescos within your grand palaces.
  • Palmyrans – Rising out of the sands of the Syrian Desert, Palmyra built its hegemony on trade and commerce. Defend your caravans and raid your enemies with swift camelry bred in the harsh desert.
  • Persians – Throw off the Median yoke, conquer Babylon, and build a diverse empire stretching from India and Egypt to Thrace. Powerful elephants will trample anything that stands in your way!
  • Phoenicians – Invent the alphabet, fashion sturdy ships from the famous cedars of Lebanon, and lead voyages throughout the Mediterranean. Distant lands and the vast seas beyond the Pillars of Heracles await!
  • Romans – Draw your gladius and emulate the tactical brilliance of Caesar and Trajan as you lead the fabled Roman legions from humble beginnings to mastery of Europe and the Mediterranean world.
  • Shang – Reap the economic benefits of the fertile Yellow River valley and construct massive fortifications to repulse nomadic invasions from the northern steppe.
  • Sumerians – Cultivate the rich soils of Mesopotamia, invent writing and the wheel, and wage the wars of Gilgamesh and Sargon. No enemy city will withstand your fearsome siege engines!
  • Yamato – Take command of sturdy fleets and large cavalry armies as you vie to unify your hardworking people and forge the Empire of the Rising Sun.
aoede_header_campaigns-1024x40.png

Fight your way across antiquity and relive some of the most famed campaigns from the Stone Age all the way through the Iron Age.

• Ascent of Egypt
  • Voices of Babylon
  • Glory of Greece
  • Yamato Empire of the Rising Sun
  • Reign of the Hittites
  • Rise of Rome
  • Ave Caesar
  • Imperium Romanum
  • Enemies of Rome
  • First Punic War
aoede_header_features-1024x40.png

• All-new graphics & artwork
  • Multiplayer
  • Remastered soundtrack
  • Remastered sound effects
  • Completely revamped UI
  • The good old campaigns with proper spit and polish
  • Countless balance adjustments
  • New terrains & scenario editor objects
  • Classic Mode – The original 1997 experience
  • Plenty a-wololo
aoede_header_credits-1024x40.png

A very special word of thank to all the people who have helped us on this project!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Hmmm... maybe not so bad after all. Anyone knows if this is still a 2d engine or 3d? Can't figure that out. Though a brief part of the trailer showed similar movement and pathfinding like the original AoE, so it might still be the same or similar 2d engine (which would be fine by me). Also impressed by the fidelity in the screenshots (which couldn't be seen in the trailer). Wow. Maybe this is the remake I was waiting for. I'll probably buy it, when it comes for GOG.

Beastro

Arcane
If this doesn't have a ton of improvements from AoE2 that massively improved quality of life, like the formations, then this will be the most hyped piece of shit ever.

The original was a bare bones primitive game and so much of what made AoE2 such a huge and legendary game is all those improvements it had over the first.

Beastro

Arcane
I am still trying to understand to this day what the peasants say when you click on them and order them around.

"Babaeel?"

"Reetoo!"

Like Endemic said, it's random gibberish, certainly not them speaking bits of random ancient language to add some depth to the game like I liked to have though as a kid.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another remaster of an old game.....Here's a thought: why not make NEW games following the same template as the old ones? While I understand getting old stuff to a new audience is a reasonably low cost slam dunk, surely the success of most of these higher profile remasters shows that there's a market there for more in the same vein!

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Here's a thought: why not make NEW games following the same template as the old ones?
Unfortunately, knowledge of how to make new games was lost to the sands of time, just like opus caementicium and patrician orgies. Now all we can do is use the few remaining artifacts left to us by the ancients without quite understanding how they work. But don't despair, eventually Islamic civilization will find the second half of the instruction book for Dune 2 and an letter to the editor about Starcraft and rediscover the secret to making new RTS games.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I am still trying to understand to this day what the peasants say when you click on them and order them around.

"Babaeel?"

"Reetoo!"
Actually surprised me not everyone noticed me quoting a villager earlier.

"Oglama?"

"Hommus!"

"Shokataa!"

"Yri?"

"Isa."

"Ibantae."

"Somus."

"Ruarry?"

"Rogan?"

"Gonaz."

"Habidagi."

"Helelei!"

"Danagee?"

"Beoyou."

"Aeyoooyoooyoouu"

And the legendary:

"Wololo"

Really, they better not fucking change the unit sounds, they're amazing and bestest.

Another remaster of an old game.....Here's a thought: why not make NEW games following the same template as the old ones? While I understand getting old stuff to a new audience is a reasonably low cost slam dunk, surely the success of most of these higher profile remasters shows that there's a market there for more in the same vein!
I think this is one of those cases where a remaster is most welcome, since as pointed out before the controls and interface of Age of Empires 1 haven't aged well since they're from the time when dinosaurs still roamed the earth.

Also this is doubly pleasing to me even besides the emotional attachment to AoE1 (which is a very special game for me, cherished in memory), which is that strategy games and games in general have CRIMINALLY underused the time period it takes place in, pre-Roman and pre-Alexander ancient world (though Rise of Rome obviously added Romans and Macedonians).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom