Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (AoE1 HD rerelease)

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Infinitron, Jun 12, 2017.

1. mbv123gender: ⚧ Learned

mbv123
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    >see thread title
    >get excited
    >hype is real
    >realize it's for W10 only
    >lose boner
    I hope some russians or chinks use their potato/rice magic to make it compatible on OS that isn't spyware.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    From Phil Spencer (Xbox boss) interview: http://www.pcgamer.com/phil-spencer...-to-go-do-on-improving-the-windows-store-uwp/

I think other remasters were released on Steam because MS has been neglected them. Essentially they were second-party games like Quantom Break, Ori, and other MS-published games released on Steam.

And now it sounds like they want to actively capitalize Age, so I wouldn't hold my breath for release outside Windows Store.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Don Pestegender: ⚧ Arcane

Don Peste
    Parrots:
    Midtown Madness will be next.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Athelasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

:troll:

^ Top  
  5. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Creative Assembly successfully inherited the legacy of Ensemble with Halo Wars 2. It's a worthy successor to work on the next new Age of Empires...for PC and XBOXOX.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. pomenitulgender: ⚧ Learned

pomenitul
    Parrots:
    So far, this looks like what AoE2 HD and (especially) AoM HD should have been.

^ Top  
  7. Zboj Lamignatgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Parrots:
    Pretty much this. AoE1 was an OK-ish rts with pretty incredible graphics, but I don't really see a point in re-releasing it. Especially after AoE2 re-release and all the additional support/dlc it got.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. JarlFrankgender: ⚧ I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Hahahahaha Windows Store, gimme a Steam release that works on Windows 7 or fuck off.

Also, the screenshots and video look terrible because the units are all split up and standing alone rather than walking in formations like they do in AoE2.

If they don't give units proper formations, this is gonna be shit. AoE1 pathfinding is terrible.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Matt with a full stop at the endgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Matt with a full stop at the end
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    AoM definitely, because it was 3D and 3D doesn't age well.

AoE and AoE 2 still have their charm.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    One thing I hope for in regards for this is that they don't use the Rise of Rome soundtrack, or at least most of it. A lot of it is just not on par with the base game's music, and far too much of it doesn't fit in at all with all the Command & Conquer aping. Like said before, the original soundtrack is a classic and should be included at least as an option.

Absolutely. Though I suppose TECHNICALLY they are 3D too, since the sprites are made out of 3D models. Though a key thing is that this method didn't lock them into low-poly 3D models.

• retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. I'm With Her Morgothgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mindfieldsgender: ⚧ Literate

mindfields
    Parrots:
    Those new graphics are yuck, so smooth and soulless

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Harg Harfardarssengender: ⚧ Cipher Patron

Harg Harfardarssen
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    While it is definitely going to seriously harm sales, I'm wondering if Microsoft would release a beloved classic primarily (or solely?) to drive use of the Windows store. For a company like MS, the platform's success may do more for their stock price than game sales.

^ Top  
  14. Grifgender: ⚧ Learned

Grif
    Parrots:
    It's not the first time they did it. See: HALO 2 on Windows Vista.

^ Top  
  15. Martiusgender: ⚧ Savant

Martius
    Parrots:
    Its hard to tell. So far few windows store games got released on steam but these are smaller ones like Halo mobile game, Ori, first Halo Wars and Quantum Break. Even if that will be windows store exclusive I doubt it will help Microsoft at all. Maybe its good enough for them to dump pc versions of their games, its not for other publishers. Without deals like Rise of Tomb Raider or Dead Rising 4 there are - Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, Resident Evil 7 and Shadow of War later this year. Not impressive lineup.

^ Top  
  16. naossanogender: ⚧ Cipher

naossano
    Parrots:
    I wondered why this wasn't released already.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. skycyclegender: ⚧ Literate

skycycle
    Parrots:
    Made my personal top 10 from this year's E3, which speaks both to my love of AoE and the games shown this time around...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. passerbygender: ⚧ Learned

passerby
    Parrots:
    Here is a nice comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=labJ5H05mDQ a very mixed bag imo.

Everything is rendered with a lot ambient occlusion and texture filtering and appears blurry and washed out, that is not how you do sprites for a 2d game.

There is no nice tileset for transition between different types terrain just lazy, blurry, texture blend. Compare patches of grass and sea shore, ridiculous.
    Less variety in flora appearance, but they put a spruce tree from temperate climate into mediterranean setting, fucking retards.

Buldings have a bit more details, some huge changes in style, but not worse or better, just different. Despite some blurriness rather positive change.
    Units models seem to have a bit more details than original sprites, but due to the way everything is rendered it's hard to notice it, but overall I like them.
    Seems like they have a lot more frames and animation is nice and smooth compared to originals, I like.

To summarise. Terrain looks worse. Buldings display little improvement, units are nice, with new animations.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. naossanogender: ⚧ Cipher

naossano
    Parrots:
    Dunno from where i've read it, but apparently the original will also be included in the release. I hope they will spice it with workshop and multi. Don't care much about new graphics. But being more accessible is a plus.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Matt with a full stop at the endgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Matt with a full stop at the end
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I splurged with fanboyism over the first game. I know because I played the demo for hundreds of hours until my parents let me have the full game - and only then as a holiday present when we were on a family holiday in the US. I then had to carry it in my suitcase for three weeks until we got back home. AoE is one of the games that defined my childhood.

And I think the remaster looks better.

I do hope the original is available though - I think all 'remasters' should do it, so people know just how far we have come, but also understand the charm of pixel graphics compared to modern 3D methods.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. skycyclegender: ⚧ Literate

skycycle
    Parrots:
    Agree with this, though it depends on the actual release format. I own the HD version of AoE2 + a few of the expansion on Steam, and that one was designed in a way that essentially makes the above unnecessary. AoE1 is much older though, and carries with it a different charm, so it makes more sense to include the original version as well.

Will we ever get a proper sequel? For a second during this E3 reveal I thought 'Can Microsoft pull a rabbit out of the hat and announce AoE4'?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Zanzokengender: ⚧ Savant

Zanzoken
    Parrots:
    I hate RTS now but man I played the fuck out of Age of Empires when I was a kid.

I would buy it on Steam for $5 just for nostalgia sake but the stupid Microsoft store can fuck off.

^ Top  
  23. Mutygender: ⚧ Liturgist Patron

Muty
    Parrots:
    Wasteland 2 BattleTech

^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  25. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Coming October 19th.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)