Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Agony - non Unity horror FPS

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Either way is fine by me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
xLivodg.jpg

tormund

Arcane
I get the impression that they just crammed as much "hell-things" they could dig up and threw it in there.
I think it'll defeat their purpose. This thing should be handled with restraint, and they displayed absolutely zero of it. Constant stream of such environments and imagery can only make them tiresome rather than disturbing or frightening...

Beowulf

Arcane
There is a similar game in development that I think look more horrorish and grotesque. Can't remember it's name, but in the trailer the character you play pick up some kind of flesh-gun. And there is a lot of cthulu-esque nightmare stuff going on.
Scorn:

Not to be confused with Inner Chains, which also look somewhat similar (but more grounded and subdued):

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Scorn is interesting for the Giger inspired art, though i don't recall Giger being so...fleshy. Still have no idea what kind of game it actually is.

ortucis

Prophet
All of these games look nice.

"LOOK" nice.

Other than that, I was watching these trailers at 3:00 am so maybe that's why I fell asleep. It was just fucking boring. Only horror that works for me is psychological and it's REALLY hard to pull off. You need a proper script, for starters. All these games, like Amnesia, have good artists only. Everything else is shite.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wonder why we are suddenly seeing so many games of this type being made all at once. What's the precedent here?

Wonder why we are suddenly seeing so many games of this type being made all at once. What's the precedent here?

I think there might be something similar going on to film. In film, if you're a new indie director hoping to make the big leagues, but with fuck all funding, horror has long been the obvious genre to start off in (Carpenter, Raimi , Hitchcock, Romero, Jackson, Spielberg...). You can use a bunch of nobody cheap actors, show off your ingenuity with cheap props/fx and turn them into strengths (eg don't show the shark), market your cheap promo film until a couple of better actors decide you've got talent and sign on for the leads in your 'real' project (Spielberg shopping Duel around Hollywood until he convinced Dreyfuss and Shaw to sign up for Jaws), and it's a medium where you can go for straight fun, scares or social commentary without being heavy handed. Visual genre, so you can make an intelligent film even if your dialogue is shit (original Dawn of the Dead).

98% of them will be shit, but it's such a director's genre that the talented ones can show that they're competent enough to be handed a big budget for their next film , and occasionally you get someone really special showing what they can do with a camera - Spielberg showed his talent by making a watchable film about one driver getting stalked by a truck with almost no dialogue, Raimi using those free-wheeling point of view shots in Evil Dead that everyone copied until they became annoying, etc.

Strikes me that FPS atmospheric horror games could be similar (including the 98% being shit). You can use darkness and 'don't show the monster' to hide your shitty textures and lack of artist support, if you don't have the tools to create smooth/responsive controls you can try and turn that into a virtue by making it contribute to the atmosphere like in Silent Hill 1-2, a lot of the physics can be 'off the shelf' with the engine because you're making the player feel constrained instead of giving him an open map to tinker with, etc. And if you make something even half-century, it's going to show off your game-making abilities (for better and worse) more than doing yet another indie platformer or DotA clone.

ortucis

Prophet

Because every YouTube twat makes a fake video jumping and screaming, pretending to be "afraid" at every shit horror game since Slender. Not only does it make the twat a lot of money, it makes the developers some extra money while creating a generic horror game (again, like Amnesia).

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to create a level with darkness and random jump scares (with or without visuals). Easiest way to make a game is to create a horror game.

Think about it. Horror games are 99% triggers getting triggered by player compared to a generic shooter where you have to work on an AI + different weapons, which is a step up from a generic FPS horror game. One of these videos posted shows the player running around with a terrible lightning weapon, they should've stuck with horror only. Now people will dissect their game on how good the weapons and AI feels. Big mistake.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, that weapon looked ridiculously bad. But again, nice environments though. I wonder if this has anything to do with the Unreal engine offering the opportunity to produce high quality visuals at a fraction of the cost. Those games might just be vanity projects for artists and modelers and the "game" part might just be an excuse for them to show case their visual talents.

Also, check that Scorn trailer. Eight million views, which is a ton for a game like this, but a shit load of negative feedback. I find that curious.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Scorn is interesting for the Giger inspired art, though i don't recall Giger being so...fleshy.

It's like a marriage of Geiger and Beksiński. I have to compliment the art department on their effort. Those two are obvious inspirations and it shows, but at the same time their fusion is something distinctive.
But we will see how it goes, I hope it won't be one of those projects with great art direction but no idea for the gameplay part of their game.

tormund

Arcane
I think he was talking about that weapon from Inner Chains trailer, which appears to be ridiculously lame and underpowered (check the lack of feedback from hit enemies too).

BTW, all three of these games are made by Slavic companies, right? Curious...

PrettyDeadman

I think he was talking about that weapon from Inner Chains trailer, which appears to be ridiculously lame and underpowered (check the lack of feedback from hit enemies too).

BTW, all three of these games are made by Slavic companies, right? Curious...
Thanks for clarifying, and sorry for misunderstanding. The weapon in Inner Chains indeed looks bad.

Robert Jarzebina

Such games are kind of easy and cheap to make compared to full scale FPS(such as Half Life).

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I'm glad to see the possession mechanic from Messiah returning here. Stealth sections are horrible since demons don't seem to notice the player no matter how close they are but in terms of exploration and variety thanks to the different bodies you can control, this might prove interesting.

ortucis

Prophet
I'm glad to see the possession mechanic from Messiah returning here. Stealth sections are horrible since demons don't seem to notice the player no matter how close they are but in terms of exploration and variety thanks to the different bodies you can control, this might prove interesting.

How is possession mechanic going to make it interesting? I doubt it it's even on the same level as Messiah anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom