Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ahh, Crusader No Remorse

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
More of a memories thread than anything about a new game.
But I tell you this much: It was a fucking amazing game for it's time. And by today's standards, it blows most things out of the fucking water. I always wished they did more games in that world than just the two. Why hasn't EA tried exploiting the nostalgia behind this series? From my understanding, it was successful financially and received acclaim.

ElectricOtter

Ahhh, that game was awesome. Didn't it use the Ultima VIII engine? The isometric perspective was cool, but the controls were a little eh. Once you figured it out though, it was awesome.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fucking great game indeed. Setting corporate fucks on fire or tearing them a new one by firing though the glass walls and seeing them slumped in their swivel chairs....ahh...the memories.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have news for you guys. I've been gathering my thoughts on the Crusader games and reached a conclusion most of you won't like.

Namely that the Crusader games were the precursors for a genre of games that involve running around while utilizing the environment to protect yourself, using a clunky interface to aim and shoot at your enemies while playing a faceless hero with a name that's more of a combat title than a moniker. Said games also involve looking for keycards to open locked doors, levers and consoles to lower forcefields that are blocking your path and "riding" vehicles to assist you in your mission.

In fact, if you'd get one of the players of the successor to Crusader to sit down and play a Crusader game, he'd say something along the line of: "Hey bros, this game should be called Halo: Combat Devolved!" *brofist*

No, I'm not being a troll here. I'm just pointing out a minor... fallacy in most of your arguments against "console shooters".

Crusader does have the better music, though.

Ladders & Snakes

Educated
A nice game. Or better: two nice little games. :M

But not a classic.
smiley15.gif

denizsi

Arcane
SILENCER SILENCED!

That's an ill-informed argument, Unkillable Cat. Action games have mostly been about the same basic mechanics forever. It's the character, challenge and vision that have always defined and separated good games from the rest of the shit. In Crusader series, you get all of it. And you can see how the developers poured their hearts into the game by making different detailed animations for everything, burning people, melting people, explosions, entire game breathes and exhales art into the players' eyes. What is shit like Halo compared to this? Bland level shooter. That's the term I use for shit console games like Halo. Developers make shitty levels, populate it with the same shitty enemy types without any environmental mechanics and call it a game.

And I wouldn't say the controls are clunky at all. The game responds perfectly to keyboard + mouse, though I accept that it could have been a challenge for those with poor spatial perception but didn't the series offer two control schemes, one for relative movement and one for arcade type directional movement?

Oh, btw, we have an LP thread for No Remorse somewhere in here.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
denizsi said:
Action games have mostly been about the same basic mechanics forever.

But not all action games are as similar to each other as Crusader and Halo are. That's my point.

It's the character, challenge and vision that have always defined and separated good games from the rest of the shit. In Crusader series, you get all of it.

Personal opinion is irrelevant here. One man's garbage is another man's banquet. But in case you're curious... yes, I played (and own) both Crusader games. Yes, they're enjoyable, but they're not that great. I've never been a fan of Halo.

And you can see how the developers poured their hearts into the game by making different detailed animations for everything, burning people, melting people, explosions

This, at least, you're right about. Effort was made to make the game look and feel good, and attention was paid to detail.

entire game breathes and exhales art into the players' eyes. What is shit like Halo compared to this? Bland level shooter. That's the term I use for shit console games like Halo.

There's that personal opinion thing again I was talking about.

Developers make shitty levels, populate it with the same shitty enemy types without any environmental mechanics and call it a game.

This is a good point you make. Like I mentioned that attention was paid to the design of the Crusader games, the same cannot be said for many MANY action games/FPS titles that came after it.

And I wouldn't say the controls are clunky at all. The game responds perfectly to keyboard + mouse, though I accept that it could have been a challenge for those with poor spatial perception but didn't the series offer two control schemes, one for relative movement and one for arcade type directional movement?

"Not clunky at all?" The game has 5 different uses for the cursor keys alone. One for using them as normal, two in conjunction with the ALT key and one each for use in conjunction with the CTRL and SHIFT keys. That's before we look at all the other keys involved with weapons and inventory.

What's worse, the Crusader games are trying to implement two different control schemes at the same time, keyboard only and keyboard + mouse. I've seen strategy games use less keys on the keyboard than the Crusader games do. At least this complexity wasn't without reason; the Silencer has alot of movement options available to him. But consider that subsequent action titles have managed to overcome the requirement for so many key combinations to control your character, and you'll realize that in this field at least, Crusader is beat, hung, drawn and quartered by subsequent action game titles. A good comparison of the evolution is the controls of System Shock 1 vs System Shock 2. Simpler and more intuitive control schemes is one of the good things of the evolution of game design nowadays... possibly the only good thing.

ElectricOtter

denizsi said:
SILENCER SILENCED!

That's an ill-informed argument, Unkillable Cat. Action games have mostly been about the same basic mechanics forever. It's the character, challenge and vision that have always defined and separated good games from the rest of the shit. In Crusader series, you get all of it. And you can see how the developers poured their hearts into the game by making different detailed animations for everything, burning people, melting people, explosions, entire game breathes and exhales art into the players' eyes. What is shit like Halo compared to this? Bland level shooter. That's the term I use for shit console games like Halo. Developers make shitty levels, populate it with the same shitty enemy types without any environmental mechanics and call it a game.

Oh, btw, we have an LP thread for No Remorse somewhere in here.
Yeah, I did one like half way through the first mission and then abandoned it :thumbsup:

denizsi

Arcane
Internettards cannot into spatial perception + contextual controls, polluting my gaming.

Or perhaps I'm one of the chosen few with superhuman abilities to lead the master PC race.

Last edited:

zeitgeist

Magister
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I loved Crusader No Regret. I wonder if I'd be able to play it in Dosbox.
Just tried it, seems to be working fine, except I'm too inept to do anything but run around like a headless chicken.

regret000.png

SILENCER TERMINATED.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jesus, all you whining about the controls! Boohoo gaem to hard for me! Go play Mass Effect!

Unkillable Cat, I never figured you for a casual consoletard. I am disappoint.

THIS is why we cannot have nice things!

Heresiarch

Prophet
Hah, thanks to nostalgia I've played a bit of Crusader a few weeks back. And I was so sad because my skilz declined so much that I could not pass the fucking 1st level. A certain laser turret along with 3 guards, all which were guarding the exit of an elevator, annihilated me.

That turret was supposed to be used to kill all the guards in that room, but thanks to the dumb 8-direction shooting, I can't shoot everyone in the room. :x

But still very awesome. Good puzzles, challenging combat and AWESUM music. The title music is just freakin sweetass.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I've seen strategy games use less keys on the keyboard than the Crusader games do.
True, but what you stupidly refuse to realise, is that its to the game's benefit. Because you have relative instead of absolute movement, and a metric fuckton of movement options to choose from - obviously run'n'gun is pretty much impossible. (That, plus the fact that its made on the primitive Ultima engine with characters snapping to tiles all the time...)
But, BUT !!! That same flaw opens an advantage - since you cant just randomly trash about the room strafe-shooting everyone - you are forced to play tactically, rolling out to pop a quick one and get to cover. Eliminating cameras, searching for secret passages, hacking robots - all this and more. Spider mines alone are worth all the clunkyness.

I wonder if I'd be able to play it in Dosbox.
For the last couple of years. Before that you had to fuck around with VMWare and other shit like that.

Absalom

I always wished they did more games in that world than just the two. Why hasn't EA tried exploiting the nostalgia behind this series?
System Shock was set in the same world, I think Origin did alot of their stuff in the same universe

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom