Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Albion, gentlewomen.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The 3d areas gave me headaches because of eye strain (like many old games)

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
This was one of my first RPG's appart from Fallout.

I played the Demo over and over again, but could never get ahold of the damn game!
Got to the point of trying to order it online(which was a first time for me) which...oddly enough I NEVER WENT ANYWHERE! Bluebyte certainly had a shitty online shop.

*note it was before i knew about kazaa,imesh and all the other virus inducing DL shit. I was such a noob with ISDN anyway*.

I to got to the lost Druid through the skin of my hair.

Later, dungeon trips really raped me. The gun and cartridges can pamper you to submission.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Innocent times?

This game was slightly on the naughty side. The cat aliens had visible boobs and half naked bodies.
Probably because no one expected anyone to get a hard-on from watching half-naked cat aliens.

mostly because it was made in Germany, where people are not afraid of nudity, like in the US.

:bro:

Too bad they're afraid of blood and as neophite Pacifists just try too much. IRC I got lost will to play in 3D Dungeon on the way to disable Reaper.... those were just dreadful even then and 3-D Graphic ages horribly.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Everything is allowed in Germany, unless it involves swastikas and/or runes :smug:

On topic. I remember playing Albion demo to death. It was pretty fun and "immersive" back in the day. I tried to play the full game few years back and remember getting bored not long after the part included in the demo. Might had something to do with shitty combat encounters. The game is still somewhere on my "to play" list, though.

Astral Rag

Arcane
axe1r7.jpg

LoPan

Learned
All those quotes are correct by the way, and goodness me did it have potential.

Finished it some time back, good game but wouldn't recommend it to anyone past the furry city (humans actually refer to them as furries sometimes). System is broken, direction is confused, exploit and grind is actually integrated into the game and is entirely necessary for more than minimizing future toil.

If anything it was damned pretty, had a good story and fantastic lore, though the writing was very clumsy; it doesn't fail in being an interesting game in the freak anomaly sort of way. Goodness knows I feel richer for having played it.

I started it three times and always stopped at the second dungeon out of sheer boredom, I don't think I could muster the will to get through Furrcity a fourth time. Does it get better ater?

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Albion it's one of the most memorable (in a good way) games I've played. Graphics, lore, and all that stuff. The fact it's also one of my first RPGs doesn't affect this in any way.
Funny thing, this game makes you really :bounce: to the furries during combat. Fucking frost splinter / frost avalanche and 4 attacks per round, man, and those 100 combat drones go beep in hell.

BTW did ya hear about the attempts of making a remake and sequel by some random ghermans? (Can't get link right now, project appearently dead since 2009, but whatever)

Gord

Arcane
Does it get better ater?

If you have grinded enough on the first island and made an effort in raising the frost spells of the furry girl in your party it gets better in so far as combat becomes much easier and less tedious, but you still may need some grinding from time to time.
If you couldn't stand the first island though, there's no sense in continuing, I think.

LoPan

Learned
Does it get better ater?

If you have grinded enough on the first island and made an effort in raising the frost spells of the furry girl in your party it gets better in so far as combat becomes much easier and less tedious, but you still may need some grinding from time to time.
If you couldn't stand the first island though, there's no sense in continuing, I think.

True, though proper grinding on the first Island is vital (not doing it can actually be a game-breaker) the game doesn't change much from what you experience during your time there. You'll have to do similar repetitive sessions of grinding from time to time at least until you get to Umajo and can use the Animal spawner in the basement of the Equipment Makers. Even after this you're not over-powered, however, and by the time the trick is available to you the game is coming to a close.

I admit I'd be hard pressed to explain why I fancy the game because the RPG system and the gameplay system (methods of interaction actually fluctuate) are both quite shallow, broken and poorly implemented, but there is something in that game, still, that I just can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the German Touch.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I started it three times and always stopped at the second dungeon out of sheer boredom, I don't think I could muster the will to get through Furrcity a fourth time. Does it get better ater?
You played it three times. You spent at least an hour each time. You really need to know more? You did not have fun, and you tried.

I mean, having sat through an unenjoyable movie for 30 minutes, are you really going to see whether the rest of the 90 minutes are good?

LoPan

Learned
I usually do, still regret having seen the entirety of Mullholland Drive.

You played it three times. You spent at least an hour each time. You really need to know more? You did not have fun, and you tried.

I mean, having sat through an unenjoyable movie for 30 minutes, are you really going to see whether the rest of the 90 minutes are good?

Well old-school RPGs being usually pretty long, the game could really kick off after the first two hours. But each time I tried it it just bored me real fast. It doesn't mean that it's a bad game. I have exactly the same problem with Ultima VII, I must have started the damn thing at least seven times and know every nook and cranny of Trinsic and of the farming community on the road leading to Britain. But then I always stop while exploring Britain. I'm pretty sure that the game becomes interesting after that. One time I'll manage to finish the damn thing, one day (the thing being that people whose opinions I trust are pretty unanimous in stating that it's a masterpiece). I was wondering if Albion did deserve the same dedication to persevere.

adure

Liturgist
you crash on a alien planet. you get such a huge world to explore!
i cant belive people get bored so fast!

LoPan

Learned
Albion does not have exploration in the sense of an actual exploration game. The only place I can think of that you can go to that is not part of the main plot is the bandit passage on the second island, the treasure map on Maini and maybe the goddess flowers (or whatever they were called) on Dji Cantos. It's very linear, which I personally did not mind, and does not have in its systems or content the sort of thing that would engage the delight of an exploration-fancier. There is quite a lot of landscape, but there's nothing there except the search for freshly spawned monsters to grind up against.

Baxter

Novice
This is one of the CRPGs I never even got to try. I always thought the graphics looked fantastic, and it looked like a great time.
Definitely on my list to play!

dannyfx1

Cipher
I'm currently in a very bad mood and I 'd like to immerse into a different world. Albion is a wonderfull rpg game from BlueByte Gmbh. The art and music is scrumptious and all sense dives into colourful world, there is nice story and rich detailed world. Lots of things to do. So join me why don't you, because I need to take my mind on a healing voyage. Features monocled turn based fight and unintuitive skill system. The whole game is pretty hard. It offers unique experience. I plan to play for a month, or two until I get better and recover. Here in this thread we don't discriminate, so fill your wine goblet and lets talk. NOTE: None of the GD filth, or Politics is allowed here. Anyone disrupting this journey with innuendo is banned.

Systems approach is welcome. Long walls of text with substance are welcome as well. Starting off at a huge starship, there is a whole world to be discovered. I' m a pilot, the star cruiser is my ship and I'm not yet ready to fly, although I could any instance, I manage to savour the moments. I roll a smoke and watch them go by slowly... There is a lot of personel rushing about for some unknown case. The alien planet is waiting. There is distinct sound of bleeps and clicks of starboard computer in the air.

In the deep of night, unplanned as it might, a loudspeaker announces the exploratory flight to this news strange world and so the adventure begins. ( This might look almost like a Lets play, but it is not ).

There is this basic character, called Tom Driscoll. Lets look at the stats and explore the starship before we depart. I'm about to collect various junk tossed around the board of accomodation suites. Everything is made from high tech polished ceramic panels and industrial glass and fiber optics. There is a news channel console and mostly hilarious content. Apart from that few valuables, such as Stim drinks, a kind of medicine in a package. Definitely want to collect those, just in case I got cut on a loose metal screw. Scans of the planet only show desert world. I have no idea, why we came here of all places in the universe. I've been having strange nightmares. Something tells me this won't be easy... Humming and bleeping of the starship electronic soothes my nerves and I find a cozy armchair in a lobby. Might visit mess hall to get rations. There is undertone of ambient music comming from a distance. It is digitized trough the metal corridors. I observe every screw and joint and floor plates and walls and marvel. Each bit vibrates with unseen stories and poetic tales. It suddenly doesn't make sense, so I decide to accept the call for exploratory flight with engineer Hofstedt, my partner in work and forgot about all the previous ponderings and meditation, leaving all valuables and possesions scattered as it gets, except for few thingies from my locker. A sip of tea with cream....I'm in my transporter and we fly together. Suddenly the clamor of the starship interior gets annoying and I'm glad we can leave.

At last in the shuttle alone with my colleague, a pleasant feeling overcomes us as, lost in the star space, deep in blackish veil, we slowly drift to the alien planet bathing in colored ambiance of shuttle navigation systems and proxime nebulas. Checking instruments and unseen spark in the data loop sends the ship into gravity well of the alien world. Golden clouds, a refraction of the local sun brings promise of mysterious life.

In the jungle we scramble from destoryed shuttle. There is no coming back. We are locked on this alien world. It is nice to be outside, in a fresh air. The flora is exquisite and fauna seems peacefull so far. I can smell fragrant spice and lovely poodless of sweet water invite for bath. Although the heat is high, the air is humid and it is easy to breathe. Thankfully the billowing smoke from our past ship fends off various insects. A vast expanse of a new continent opens before us and fruit trees abound in the growth, so we won't starve. Blackout.

Pain...Wake up....I can't....open eyes. A cat like creature tends to my wounds. What happened? The shuttle exploded, explains Rainer, the engineer. I'm lying in a sand bed and the house is made of plants. Incredible. She looks beautiful and her facial features show intricate pattern unseen to humans. She is using some kind of glowing seed to heal us. Magic? The expectations shattered and implications become limitless, as I wonder what did I get into.

Shuffling about on the planet, I'm sort off bored and don't know what to do. We signed over metal scraps of the shuttle to our benefactors. I'm glad we sorted out that agreement with the South Wind hunter clan and in retribution can use their base in a city called Jirinaar. It is lush plant city on the outskirts of Nakiridaani continent surrounded by vast jungles. Thanks to securing a place of comfort my mood got a little better and I'm ready to explore this beautiful city and beyond. From the grandiose beggining we are settled and back to earth. Mind fills with mundane and common thoughts as the fear of extinction fades away. Plan equipment, food, meds, personal protection to be able to extend further into the continent. Our goal is simple. To contact mothership and make out something out of this mess. I recognize we both, my partner and I are still very much mentally tied to our old persona and we' d like it back. So far...No one can say what is waiting down the road and this might fruit up in other ways. While exploring Jirinaar, these ideas catch my attention and then I gaze back into emerald greenery of the plant city. Bronze like fountains toped with exotic orchidea gurgle in the background.

Meanwhile snack time!

Last edited:

Hormalakh

Magister
PLayed it for 5-6 hours. Got bored running around in the jungle. Quit. Watched a few let's plays. I ruined the ending for myself. Don't want to play anymore.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Amberstar, Ambermoon, Albion -> CRPG enthusiasts should play them all at least once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom