Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alerts not poping up?

Just noticed, while perusing through threads where I was quoted and tagged, that I'm pretty sure I didn't see alert from said quote or tagging of me. Some stuff yesterday confirmed that aparently some alerts that should be showing up are not showing up. Anyone else having the same issue?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So neither my qoting nor my tagging showed for you as alerts?

Mmm... try tagging and quoting me?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
58e.png

Lhynn

Arcane
Ive had this problem before, especially on threads that i saw after one alert but didnt post anything, then people kept posting over the days and it never let me know again.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Ive had this problem before, especially on threads that i saw after one alert but didnt post anything, then people kept posting over the days and it never let me know again.
Maybe it only alerts you once per thread, then all subsequent tags and quotes in this thread do not produce alerts until you look at and therefore clear the alert that is already there for the thread?

Let me test this.

Lhynn
The Brazilian Slaughter

Just noticed, while perusing through threads where I was quoted and tagged, that I'm pretty sure I didn't see alert from said quote or tagging of me. Some stuff yesterday confirmed that aparently some alerts that should be showing up are not showing up. Anyone else having the same issue?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
The Brazilian Slaughter
Lhynn

How many alerts did you guys get?

Lhynn

Arcane
Got two, after posting on this thread a couple hours ago i got 6 alerts, some of them dating from a day back, so dont know what happened but maybe DU solved it?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
1. It only alerts you ONCE per post. So if you tag a user eighteen times in one post, they only get one alert.

2. If you get an alert about new posts to a thread you are watching, YOU MUST VISIT THE THREAD TO GET ANY MORE ALERTS. It's why the thing even says "Hey dipweed, there may be more new posts after this." It says that for a reason because it won't alert you to them unless you visit the thread.

3. It won't alert you to a thread you are looking at. EG: If Sceptic posts something at 3:03 am and Crooked Bee has the thread open right then and there, enough to be able to say by 3:05 am that "hey, I did not get alerted" then chances are you won't get an alert... because you had already read the thread and seen the alert.

4. If you login, check your alerts. They expire. Saying "well three days ago someone tagged me and I didn't notice it and then today I've got an alert and realised I didn't see the alert I got three days ago" that's you not paying attention.

5. Alerts within quotes, will not alert you unless they're new alerts. EG: If I type ATyourusername and put that in a quote, I believe that will alert you. BUT if SOMEONE ELSE already did that, and then I just quoted that somebody else, it will not alert you.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sounds plausible... except I haven't gotten an alert for Cosmo quoting me either a couple of minutes ago, even though I didn't have that thread open:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ew-at-hold-the-line.86521/page-3#post-2877629

Is it because he edited the quote into his post later? Shouldn't I have gotten in alert in that case too?

This isn't the first time I'm not getting alerts when people tag or quote me by editing their post. I don't think you can do anything about it though - it's probably a xenforo bug feature.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, i got alerted yesterday by DU post and today by yours bee, so the system sometimes works as intended and sometimes it doesnt?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Sounds plausible... except I haven't gotten an alert for Cosmo quoting me either a couple of minutes ago
Hmmm... There may be a delay in alerts that occurred a few minutes ago. Not sure if they're actually done by a cronjob every 5 minutes or something.

EDIT: I'm not sure if tagging and quoting triggers alerts if you're using Tapatalk...

Lhynn

Arcane
Could it be that theres some sort of server delay because of the traffic? or just a slight malfunction?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Sounds plausible... except I haven't gotten an alert for Cosmo quoting me either a couple of minutes ago, even though I didn't have that thread open:
Since Bee brought it up, I should mention that for the Matt Chatt tag I linked earlier, I did not have the thread open on the day Bee tagged me, and I only looked at it the next day so the alert shouldn't have expired, but still didn't get it. So I think Bee is right and the thing occasionally bugs out. Maybe they're small server hiccups that make the alert get lost in oblivion?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Since Bee brought it up, I should mention that for the Matt Chatt tag I linked earlier, I did not have the thread open on the day Bee tagged me, and I only looked at it the next day so the alert shouldn't have expired, but still didn't get it. So I think Bee is right and the thing occasionally bugs out. Maybe they're small server hiccups that make the alert get lost in oblivion?
Did you get a quote alert for this, Sceptic?

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, i know you are not asking me, but i saw Sceptic post hours ago and never posted, and here it alerted me when you posted DarkUnderlord . Which is how it normally works, just that sometimes it doesnt, it stops tracking the thread even if its still under watch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom