Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For Alien: Isolation they were specifically gunning for an aesthetic that would make sense according to people living in 1979. For those kind of people it would make sense to have a phone handle somewhere.

Be grateful it's not on the motion detector.

Master

Arbiter
If you remember in Alien they had those tiny headsets, they werent like some bigass WW2 headsets. So why is the phone so big then? Its just a phone, it isnt a piece of heavy industrial equipment. I guess they thought it would fit because its retro. But it wasnt like that in Alien.
I mean this isnt a big deal. Im just saying since they praise themselves so much, watching the movie over and over again, thoroughly deconstructing it etc, and the journalist is beside himself how great it all is, then i expect it to at least not fail completely. But the phone sucks so much.

Master

Arbiter
Here is that headset
latest

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Headset

"A headset was a combination of a headphone with a microphone. Headsets were made with either a single-earpiece (mono) or a double-earpiece (dual-mono or stereo). Headsets provided the equivalent functionality of a telephone handset, but with hands-free operation.[2]

Headsets were used by the crew of the USCSS Nostromo in 2122, aboard Sevastopol Station in 2137 (with an integrated flashlight) and by the United States Colonial Marine Corps in 2179. Additionally, the M10 Pattern Ballistic Helmet and Head Mounted Sights used by the USCM both featured integrated headsets.

Contents
[show]
Behind the scenes
Although different variants were used in both films, the headsets used in Alien and Aliens were both modified Racal Amplivox Minilites;[3][4][1] the same headset was used in various other films, including Star Wars (1977), The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), Superman (1978), Moonraker (1979), Superman II (1980) and Demolition Man(1993)."

Thing is they wanted to be consisted, so they looked at phones from the 70s. But they shouldve looked at small phones from the 70s. Thats all im saying.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well tbh if we assume that this is the kind of emergency phone like the ones used in tunnels or mines, it's pretty sensible to me that it would be hueg and durable, and not a flimsy headset.

Master

Arbiter
Sure, it should be something bulky. The problem is just the phone handle itself. In Aliens that videophone Ripley uses briefly doesnt have a handle, she just punches a card inside. Thing is i dont think phone handles exist in Alien universe. Devs shouldve seen this if they were as rigorous as they claim.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The game's beginning (2-3 hours) was completely scripted to a point beyond reasonable and that was the moment I realized that you are not in any real danger if you follow the script ... and I simply uninstalled the game.

I admit that it looks stunning and the atmosphere is superb but everything is wasted because scripted correct paths or scare jumps are not gameplay. Maybe Age of Decadence's fans enjoy this bullshit but I can't.

Hahahaha, just see the video that I've posted in another thread

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-more-games-copied.123606/page-3#post-5769791

Alien isolation is an extremely well looking game. The funny thing is that it doesn'trequire a lot of GPU to run at MAX settings. It just pure art and visuals direction.

Plisken

Learned
yep Alien's visuals were great and its performance stellar.

One of the things i hate most about this modern era of gaming is how many games seem to be gigantic hogs for CPU and GPU power and yet have absolutely dogshit visuals. It feels like laziness on the part of developers who probably could optmize, but refuse to because lol youve got a GTX right? 24 fps is all you need anyway goy, just like a movie!

Master

Arbiter
It works good like that only on Nvidia. On Ati its almost unplayable. Unless they fixed it by now.

Graphics in A:I feel a bit low res but art direction is great and lighting is most certainly gorgeous. Visuals were ruined by terrible aliasing at first but TAA mod took care of that. I had no trouble running it maxed with advanced settings and TAA mods at 1080p/60 FPS even with my previous GPU, GTX 760. So yeah, performance is pretty great indeed.

By the way I would also recommend using this to tone down the excessive lens flares.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2791/nycc-2018-amanda-ripley-leads-resistance

NYCC 2018: Amanda Ripley Leads the Resistance!
09/28/2018 12:00pm
aliensrescov.jpg

Brian Wood Returns to the "Aliens" Universe at Dark Horse for "Aliens: Resistance"

Since 1979, Ridley Scott's seminal sci-fi horror masterpiece Alien has spawned a cultural phenomenon and an enormous franchise that has branched out to sequels, spin-offs, merchandise, video games and, of course, comics. Following Brian Wood's 2016 critically-acclaimed miniseries Aliens: Defiance, Wood returns to pen the sequel story Aliens: Resistance.

Aliens: Resistance follows the events of the popular video game Aliens: Isolation which starred Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda Ripley, fifteen years after the events of the original film. She fought for survival against the monstrous xenomorph aboard a remote space station while attempting to uncover the hidden secrets of her mother's disappearance from the insidious Weyland-Yutani Corporation.

Now, in Aliens: Resistance, Ripley is kept silent by Weyland-Yutani now that the xenomorph threat has been brought to light. But when Zula Hendricks, the Ex-Colonial Marine from Aliens: Defiance, arrives in need of Ripley's help to expose a sinister bio-weapons program, the duo teams up to lead a resistance against an upgraded arsenal designed to keep the darkest atrocities secret!

With an intense script by Brian Wood (Aliens: Defiance, Sword Daughter), cinematic art by Robert Carey (Power Rangers, Transformers), dynamic colors by Dan Jackson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Call of Duty: Zombies), letters by Nate Piekos (Stranger Things, Black Hammer) covers by Roberto De La Torre (The Invincible Iron Man, Ms. Marvel), and featuring the return of Aliens: Defiance alumnus Tristan Jones on variant covers, Aliens: Resistance is an action-packed blockbuster comics series not to be missed!

Aliens: Resistance #1 (of four) goes on sale January 23, 2019, and is available for pre-order at your local comic shop.

Beastro

Arcane
I really wish they'd drop the evil company angle finally.

Even in the first movie it undermined the Xeno embodying the unkown. Instead it got a stupid twist that, no, it wasn't unknown and those evil execs deliberately sent the Nostromo there hoping something would happen like in the movie, just as the evil execs want every other fucking time.

What made the first such an amazing movie, and the Xeno such a fascinating and lethal being, is that it IS the unknown as we imagine it on a symbolic level. You stray too far away for the hustle and bustle of life, go somewhere too dark and remote and the unknown will literally form out of nothing as a hideous monster, take some lives only to run off into the black with them before coming back at you in another more hideous and even deadlier form.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Instead it got a stupid twist that, no, it wasn't unknown and those evil execs deliberately sent the Nostromo there hoping something would happen like in the movie

Still, it was the unknown, the execs did not know either what is it, they only knew that *something* is there, and they wanted it for examination.

Beastro

Arcane
Instead it got a stupid twist that, no, it wasn't unknown and those evil execs deliberately sent the Nostromo there hoping something would happen like in the movie

Still, it was the unknown, the execs did not know either what is it, they only knew that *something* is there, and they wanted it for examination.

But instead of wandering into somewhere forbidden no one has gone before its there some foresight into what happens rather then a random encounter.

Plus it opened up the room to tie in any prequels into the first film, like what will eventually happen with Dave the android being behind the Space Jockey ship crashing there with its cargo of his Xenos, prolly while it was on its way to attack Earth. :negative:

orcinator

Liturgist
For a second I thought it was a new game because it had a black chick with an afro but then I noticed it's just a comic.
Still, fucking why? Isolation had a completely forgettable story and Amanda's character was paper thin. I guess it opens up another period in the Alien timeline for milking, but still.

RepHope

Savant
Fucking love this game. Sure it’s flawed but it respects the franchise far more than all the other garbage games do, and it draws from the superior Alien movie. Also the art team fucking nailed the design of the game.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Fucking love this game. Sure it’s flawed but it respects the franchise far more than all the other garbage games do, and it draws from the superior Alien movie. Also the art team fucking nailed the design of the game.

Its a great game, and yea the attention to detail in the environments is amazing, its an Alien fanboy wet dream. If only more big budget games were made with that kind of love and passion for the subject.

Oracsbox

I don't have access to the Tv and film sections of the codex yet so I just thought I'd leave this here Alien universe further ruined in 5,4,3,2,1

Dayyālu

Arcane
Comrade, we live in a post Alien: Covenant world.

And in a post Nu!Predator world.

Both movies that make AvP Requiem look like a competent and compelling movie.

Where we are going, there is nothing left to rape.

Psquit

Arcane
They can never take my Space station 13: Colonial marines away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom