Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol

Captain Shrek

Sceptic said:
Captain Shrek said:
he attacks Marburg.
Which may actually NOT be the best outcome if you've already convinced Marburg to betray Leland, as Marburg then figures out that there is only one person who could've told Parker and then turns against you anyway.

It has nothing to do with the best outcome. It was appropriate. The only thing in the world Parker cares for beyond his ability is his
daughter.

J1M

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
5) Combat: The combat is slightly repetitive, but on Hard difficulty its fun. The camera being a behind the ass TPS, is shit. I personally favour an FPS camera for shooters. Other problems with the camera is that its very buggy. For me it hanged at quite a few moments disorienting me completely, resulting in WTF, WHERE AM I???!!! moments. Also, the game WILL punish you if you invest in purely non-combat skills. What's a good spy who can't shoot straight and quick draw after all?
I played through the entire game without a single point in any gun skills. The only weapons I used were the rocket launchers required for a couple boss fights.

Primarily relied on stealth, but points in melee combat and toughness were useful for some boss fights.

oklenny

Educated
brilliance + steel cased rounds + chainshot can finish boss fights in seconds

J1M

Arcane
oklenny said:
brilliance + steel cased rounds + chainshot can finish boss fights in seconds
Yes, it is nice that you can complete the game with any character build. And that the things you specialize in are useful.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
To learn that Scarlet was the assassin and avoid getting shot, you need good rep with her.

You could actually avoid getting shot by her in the end? Even though I built up good rep with her, she still shot Thorton, shot Leland, and then was shot by Heck/Mina the two of the times I played through the ending mission. The only time Thorton avoided a painful bullet was when he executed her beforehand, in the interrogation room, after contacting Deng and learning she was the assassin.

You can get Albatross' crew to come after you in AP's island either by being friends with him, OR by having killed Sis and the guy hating your guts to begin with.

Really? I pissed off Albatross to no end, and before the Graybox mission, I tried to entice him into following Thorton, making the claim that I would disappear forever and he could never get revenge, but he didn't act on it, and I didn't have the option to have him as a handler.

oklenny

Educated
i really liked how dynamic some of the reactions were to your choices

my thorton had -10 rep with mina
killed the CIA agents
other stuff mina hates

so at the end when i have a choice to save mina or do that other thing, for lulz i decided to rescue mina
got some really angsty bitching from her about how she'd rather be tied up & dead than be saved by me
it was cool

J1M

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
To learn that Scarlet was the assassin and avoid getting shot, you need good rep with her.

You could actually avoid getting shot by her in the end? Even though I built up good rep with her, she still shot Thorton, shot Leland, and then was shot by Heck/Mina the two of the times I played through the ending mission. The only time Thorton avoided a painful bullet was when he executed her beforehand, in the interrogation room, after contacting Deng and learning she was the assassin.
Yes, I suspect it was either because I sent her a lot of Halbech data + romance or because I agreed to side with Leland and then her. I also didn't invite Heck, preferring Albatross and offed Mina.

She doesn't show up if you keep your word and partner with Leland (but she is allied with both of you so we can assume that was just a cutscene limitation) and she joins you on the boat without shooting you if you decide to kill him. (Thorton kills Leland by going: "surprize, the data disk I gave you was a landmine ha!") :lol:

Aside: I didn't do this but you don't need high rep with her to find out she was the assassin. You can apparently get that info by sparing Deng.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wait, Scarlet shoots you? That didn't happen to me on any of my playthroughs...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think you need to romance her and have good rep with her, and have sent her a lot of Halbech data, which gives you the ending where she doesn't shoot you. I'd wager rescuing Mina ties into this as well. I got help from Heck in the last mission, but didn't get shot, so that probably doesn't influence it.

Heh, yeah this game definitely has a nice flow of (mostly minor) C&C. Seems some people prefer much fewer but more important choices, but I liked the way of AP. Lots of less important choices that can add up to a pretty different plot experience every time. And it isn't even clear what you should have done to make things play out differently. Seems to me like a more realistic way of implementing C&C.
In my first playthrough I've never even met SIE for example, and then I came here and saw people talking about her. It then turned out the order in which you play missions has an effect too.

Sannom

Augur
Xor said:
Wait, Scarlet shoots you? That didn't happen to me on any of my playthroughs...

There are two ways of doing it :
- you miss the interrogation room she's in. It's very easy to do in fact, because walking through the other door starts a script that blocks the way back. Many players never found her.
- if you don't have enough rep with her, you won't find her in the interrogation room, and she will shoot you when you're interrogating Leland... if you make the conversation goes a little, because if you execute him right here, right now, she won't appear.

Radisshu

Prophet
What's stupid is when she (Scarlet) shoots you, shoots Leland, then goes "I was going to kill Leland all along, you don't have to worry", then walks away. Why the fuck did you shoot me in the first place, then?

PainlessDoc

Novice
Such a retarded game, I don't understand why people actually pay to put themselves through such torture.

crappy engine=V
stupid over the top characters=V
horrible voice acting=V
retarded mini games=V

Silellak

Cipher
Edward_R_Murrow said:
You can get Albatross' crew to come after you in AP's island either by being friends with him, OR by having killed Sis and the guy hating your guts to begin with.

Really? I pissed off Albatross to no end, and before the Graybox mission, I tried to entice him into following Thorton, making the claim that I would disappear forever and he could never get revenge, but he didn't act on it, and I didn't have the option to have him as a handler.
Yeah, that confused me, too. From what Albatross said, I was convinced his people were going to show up at the Greybox just to kill Thorton, but nothing ever came of it. I assumed it was either a bug or cut content. Shame, because that actually would've been pretty cool.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Huh. I went for a melee route and the first mainstory boss I ran into stomped my face into mush if I got remotely close to him. Didn't play the game again, but I thought the dialogues were very well done. Certainly felt the intensity of a few of the more serious ones before the game told me my character build was total dogshit

Redshirt #42

Augur
Silellak said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:

Yeah, that confused me, too. From what Albatross said, I was convinced his people were going to show up at the Greybox just to kill Thorton, but nothing ever came of it. I assumed it was either a bug or cut content. Shame, because that actually would've been pretty cool.
It's probably cut content. They were obv. too lazy with the C&C near the finale. In example, if you piss everyone else off you can still work with Steven Heck. Because of that it's p. hard to get him to hate you. In order to do that, you must do the Taiwan mission last and get either the support of G22 or the German chick before going there. Then (if he dislikes you enough) he will actually betray you and give Thorton's name to the media and frame him for the assassination of the president.

Vibalist

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
In my first playthrough I've never even met SIE for example, and then I came here and saw people talking about her.

Huh? Isn't SIE always there in the beginning of the Moscow trainstation mission?
How do you avoid meeting her altogether?

Also, after reading all the examples of c&c in this game, I'm pretty tempted to fire it up again.

Vibalist said:
Huh? Isn't SIE always there in the beginning of the Moscow trainstation mission?

She wasn't there on my first playthrough. I remember doing Moscow missions last cause I saw how a lot of people were bitching about Brayko fight, how hard and annoying it was and all that. So I thought I'd level up as much as I can before it. Heh, I ended up liking Brayko segment too.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

You could actually avoid getting shot by her in the end?
What, she shot you? I finished it twice and she never shot me. Surprisingly I had black man as an ending boss both times.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
where can i get Alpha Protocol cheapest ?

J1M

Arcane
sser said:
Huh. I went for a melee route and the first mainstory boss I ran into stomped my face into mush if I got remotely close to him. Didn't play the game again, but I thought the dialogues were very well done. Certainly felt the intensity of a few of the more serious ones before the game told me my character build was total dogshit
You can just stealth up to him.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On hard difficulty:
How good are shotguns, smgs and melee? On bosses? On rushing grunts? I once punch a rpg carrying arab, he block my attacks and blew me and himself up with his rpg at pointblank.
What are the better grenades?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Shotguns appear to be a critical hit weapon used for one-shotting or extreme close range, I haven't used them past trying the first couple of missions.

SMGs have a large volume of fire that can be used effectively in large bursts (there's a damage multiplier that increases with hits and kills). Very powerful in late game and good against bosses.

Melee is primarily a backup that can be extremely useful if some sandnigger or Russian mobster rushes you, or if you find yourself face to face with other enemies. Naturally the hardest part is getting near. It's also one of your only constant means of non-lethal force. The jumping knee attack is extremely handy when you don't want to use lethal force. I think Omen Deng can be beaten with melee if you hulk out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom