Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alright, any recently-released RPGs that are good?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Tyranny - PoE type game, so if you liked PoE you'll probably like Tyranny. The chardev is pretty weak so you should like that aspect.

Tyranny is pretty different from PoE past the superficial similarities.

Superficial similarities such as almost the same combat, low impact chardev because of easy combat, similar skill systems, similar way to interact with the world with skills, traditional crpg content, one character chargen and recrtuitables as designed (regardless that PoE lets you make a full party after the start at the first in it was designed for a party of recruitables), recruitables with content, recruitables opinions of you based on your actions, etc.

Besides the actual superficial differences the two games are very similar. You just focus on the superficial due to age and hipsterism and think superficial is significant.

It isn't worth talking to you. I can disprove most of your crap, but it's not worth it.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Tyranny - PoE type game, so if you liked PoE you'll probably like Tyranny. The chardev is pretty weak so you should like that aspect.

Superficial similarities such as almost the same combat, low impact chardev because of easy combat, similar skill systems, similar way to interact with the world with skills, traditional crpg content, one character chargen and recrtuitables as designed (regardless that PoE lets you make a full party after the start at the first in it was designed for a party of recruitables), recruitables with content, recruitables opinions of you based on your actions, etc.

Besides the actual superficial differences the two games are very similar. You just focus on the superficial due to age and hipsterism and think superficial is significant.

It isn't worth talking to you. I can disprove most of your crap, but it's not worth it.

Disprove what? You are one dumb kid.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I get the feeling I really should give Underrail another try. I played a couple of hours and then just stopped. It felt too easy and all the clunkyness felt like a cheap trick to pad out the game. Especially the atrociously slow walking speed just killed me.
But I could see a good game buried in there. The world building was great. Does it get any more challenging and involved at some point?

deama

Prophet
Disgaea 1 and 2 are on PC now. I heard Disgaea 5 is good but it's on consoles, for now.

Lhynn

Arcane
I get the feeling I really should give Underrail another try. I played a couple of hours and then just stopped. It felt too easy and all the clunkyness felt like a cheap trick to pad out the game. Especially the atrociously slow walking speed just killed me.
But I could see a good game buried in there. The world building was great. Does it get any more challenging and involved at some point?
hm, it gets more challenging, then peaks, then gets easier and easier. There are still a few spikes in difficulty here and there, especially if you explore.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Caves of Qud is supposed to be gud. I'm waiting for it to get out of early access.

Other than that: Grimoire is awesome, but needs more balancing and little improvements.

Will probably get Tyranny once it's 90% off. 7 Mages I haven't started yet (it's probably crap) or Dwarf Run (probably good).

PrettyDeadman

Caves of Qud is supposed to be gud. I'm waiting for it to get out of early access.
I am afraid it's a Dwarf Fortress type of game (i.e. they would always add more stuff to the game, it would never be "complete").

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Please pretend it is worth it and disprove it. You won't because you can't. All that is in your head is regurgitated hyperbole, hot air, and platitudes. You kicks are all borderline retarded if not a full blown downie.

Gregz

Arcane

Other than that: Grimoire is awesome, but needs more balancing and little improvements.

Will probably get Tyranny once it's 90% off. 7 Mages I haven't started yet (it's probably crap) or Dwarf Run (probably good).

Dwarf Run is good.

I'd recommend Grimoire, but I know aweigh preferes the Woodhead Wizardries to the Bradley ones, and Grimoire is very much a Bradley inspired game and doesn't play as fast as Wiz 1-5.

It is, however, fucking awesome and my game of the year (tied with Nex Machina).

So - Grimoire. It's got a lot of balancing problems but it's so awesome you can enjoy the game regardless of them.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i very much respect ur opinion Great Deceiver

i already had it on my "to-Torrent" list i guess i'll move it up a few spots since i'm not playing anything else besides Street Fighter 5.

(where i'm GAWDLIEK and will own uuu omg i'm so good at SF come at me steam name is JulioSotomayor)

:fuckbois:

Ventidius

Arbiter
Apart from the obvious ones that have been mentioned in this thread, there sadly aren't that many. At least if you mean games with full party customization, good dungeon design, and tactical combat.

You are better off waiting for KotC 2 and PoE2 while trying your hand at squad tactics or wargame types of game in the meantime, like I do. They lack the exploration and character customization of rpgs but the tactical element is in most cases even better and you usually control a full squad rather than a single guy. A lot of them even have decent character development.

A few good games of this sort have come out lately, like Mordheim(this one has an excellent character development system), Xenonauts, Sanctus Reach, XCOM 2, and Battle Brothers. Voidspire Tactics is sort of like this as well but it is actually an RPG, so maybe there is your recommendation.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Especially the atrociously slow walking speed just killed me.
Could try speedhacking, worked well for me.

That is actually a great idea! How did you do it? Is there a mod or was there an .ini to fiddle with? Will look into it once I finished Grimoire
I just use a software called "Cheat Engine", it's a memory editing (with disassembly features) software, it's also got a speedhack option.
Fairly easy to use, pick the target process, then enable the speedhack and change the multiplier (doesn't work past 5x though), can use hotkeys as well.
Works with most games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Cat quest just came out,you could give it a shot.It is cheap silly fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom