Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware AM2R Metroid 2 remake finally released!

Drowed

Arcane
Genesis-Does-Ad-Campaign-2.jpg

I mean, there's a crapton of Sonic fangames out there and Sega doesn't seem to care. (But they did send a C&D to the Streets of Rage Remake, I guess.) They even "legalized" romhacks on STEAM, in a way.

But yeah, Nintendo is shitty overall.

And if anyone else wants a link to the remake, here: https://mega.nz/#!eZcTkYDD!SUkczXQXv1gCAxoOkFLgNY4vlaCFS6oUPxNyDw9jp74

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Takes a special kind of retard to make a fangame and then act surprised when the company that owns the IP tells them to back the fuck off. When will people learn? Just stop making them and make your own goddamn thing. They could've made this game as it is with different sprites and names and nothing bad would've happened.

tormund

Arcane
These takedowns seem to be p random too... Nintendo tolerates craploads of free fan made Mario stuff for example, but this gets instant C & D. Kind of how SEGA tolerates loads of Sonic fan games or Sonic conversions for other games, but they decided to send c&d to Streets of Rage Remake from few years ago.

EDIT: Heh, that's what I get for not reading all comments. Drowed already made the same point.

The vast majority of people who played it said it's good.
Vast majority of Nintendo fans will say the same thing for any exclusive.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nothing stopping him from continuing to update, as long as he does it on the DL.

We've known for decades that Nintendo will try to fuck you in the asshole for making any kind of fan-anything, and anyone who begins a Nintendo-related fan project not knowing how aggressive they are is naive to say the least.

Chamezero

I already 100% this game in hard mode, serious :incline:. The original game was atrocious but this remake is on par with the best metroids :salute:

Bahamut

Arcane
Some news

As you may know already, AM2R received DMCA notices in all the download hosts, and some parts of this blog. So far, no C&D letter was received.

This project began a long time ago, while I was actually trying to learn the programming side of Game Maker. Instead of moving on with something else, when I learned a better way of doing something, I reiterated and improved the old code.
Eventually, I learned to program in C#. Now I'm making a living as a professional programmer thanks to what I learned developing a fan game.
Technically speaking, I'm satisfied.

Artists started offering help. First with the main enemies, then with sprites, enemies, bosses.
The forums started to come alive with fans making feature suggestions, and always being positive and optimistic about the project. I added new contents, trying to be respectful about the established lore. Demo after demo people liked the game. Then the game was out, and for a brief time, players enjoyed the game they were expecting for a long time.
Artistically speaking, I'm satisfied.

What about the future?
I'll continue improving and fixing AM2R privately.

How will updates will be released, if at all?
I'm still working on it.

My priority now is to fix the invisible gravity suit bug that's hindering many player's experience. If you experience that bug, please visit the forum, and I'll eventually provide a fix.

Please, don't hate Nintendo for all of this. It's their legal obligation to protect their IP.
Instead of sending hate mail, get the original M2 from the eShop. Show them that 2D adventure platformers are still a thing people want.

You're invited to share your thoughts at the Forum, or follow AM2R on Twitter for the latest updates.

spekkio

Arcane
^
Shit, after years on the Dex it's weird to read something written by somebody who sounds like a grown-up for a change. I mean I expected an epic meltdown / baaaw...

:decline:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Takes a special kind of retard to make a fangame and then act surprised when the company that owns the IP tells them to back the fuck off. When will people learn? Just stop making them and make your own goddamn thing. They could've made this game as it is with different sprites and names and nothing bad would've happened.

There is an instinctive attraction to working with established characters and stories. Makes you feel as if you are "with your ancestors," that you are part of something larger.

Same reason why variations of all the Greek myths occupy the role in Western culture that they do.

Tehdagah

Arcane
04:32:30 time, 90% item collection

Got a pic of Samus and the baby metroid running in a field together :desu:

Mozg

Arcane
Are big, high quality semi- or non-commercial games like this getting rarer or more common? The basic lifecycle seems like: be young and stupid, start a project that's much too big and difficult -> get a little done, get good encouraging feedback, be older and realize you could do better -> get so much done that you get sunk cost bias and decide come hell or high water you're gonna finish it, making it your second job for years -> finally done, collect a pat on the back. If the bar gets so high that even kids can see it's out of their league the life cycle would get interrupted.

Severian Silk

Someone should copyright English and tell everyone else to back the fuck off and speak a different language instead.

lightbane

Arcane
So, about this Metroid Federation mentioned before. I believe it's out. How would you make it so that it shows proper respect to the Metroid series? Definitively by not making a brainwashed Samus the final boss, who attacks you by larping Metroid Pinball.

Riskbreaker

Of course Failtendo would take down this fan-project, even though Metroid has been dead and forgotten since Other M, which completely destroyed the character and the setting.

What are you talking about, Metroid isn't dead at all. We wouldn't want fan made crap like this taking the spotlight away from the real, upcoming Metroid game.

cPgYjwF.png
It being "good" at what it does couldn't be less relevant. It's a fucking co op shooter with cutesy graphics, with added Metroid trappings.
Anyone who mentions it in answer to someone's lamenting about lack of new Metroid games ought be punched in the face.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Geez, Nintendo is on the loose: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...e_Jolt_targeted_by_Nintendo_DMCA_takedown.php

500+ fan games on Game Jolt targeted by Nintendo DMCA takedown

Online game platform/marketplace Game Jolt has reportedly received a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyrights Act) takedown request from Nintendo of America targeting 562 games which allegedly infringe on Nintendo-owned properties.

That's a significant number of games to target with one DMCA request, and it's interesting to see Nintendo now targeting Game Jolt since devs have been uploading and sharing their personal projects (and even running their own game jams) on the platform for some time.

However, it's only recently that Game Jolt expanded to function as a marketplace where indie devs can sell their games. Couple that with the fact that many of the games on the platform are fan games or jam games (or both) which often draw heavy inspiration (if they don't just directly rip assets) from popular franchises, and Nintendo's interest in bringing its DMCA gun to bear on Game Jolt seems more understandable.

In a blog post published today, Game Jolt founder (and occasional Gamasutra blogger) David DeCarmine says games on the platform which are targeted in a DMCA takedown request will be "locked" and unavailable to find or download through the platform, though they will remain online and accessible to their developers. Also, from here on out, DeCarmine promises that Game Jolt will publish all DMCA takedown notices it receives to GitHub -- starting with the one from Nintendo.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Of course Failtendo would take down this fan-project, even though Metroid has been dead and forgotten since Other M, which completely destroyed the character and the setting.

What are you talking about, Metroid isn't dead at all. We wouldn't want fan made crap like this taking the spotlight away from the real, upcoming Metroid game.

cPgYjwF.png
It being "good" at what it does couldn't be less relevant. It's a fucking co op shooter with cutesy graphics, with added Metroid trappings.
Anyone who mentions it in answer to someone's lamenting about lack of new Metroid games ought be punched in the face.
So the reason Federation Force "sucks" has nothing to do with the quality of the game itself, but because "muh Metroid!!1"?

:dealwithit:

Also, being a good game is very relevant if you like good games.

I mean, it has been 12 years since the last official 2D Metroid, Zero Mission, came out.

Maybe Federation Force is a decent game in its own right, but "Muh Metroid" complaints are just as relevant as "Muh Fallout".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom