Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

American Hare

Jasede said:
People it's a-
It's just a-
Holy shit, I just realized....it's just a furry game. :shock:

Jasede said:
People it's a-
It's just a-

Ah fuck. Have fun, Chefe.

Hey, if I can get a programmer on board, American Hare is real.

It may or may not have started out as a joke, but it's turned into something more. It's turned into a holy crusade against modern RPGs. For the sake of the future, American Hare must exist!

yoda.gif
A quick process, it is not.

Murk

Arcane
just write a bunch of .txt documents with code names that you can follow through based on your choices, like one of those "choose your own adventure" books

Mikayel said:
just write a bunch of .txt documents with code names that you can follow through based on your choices, like one of those "choose your own adventure" books
Then he'd actually have to write, and that would never happen.

It looks like NN has recruits.

I'll put something together soon. To prove to you bastards I'm serious business.

"Trust me, it'll be great."

petehinesheadheywc4.png

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yep, the best thing that will come out of this project is a Visual Basic-written "choose your adventure" game.

It could be a cute one, but set your goals higher and nothing will ever be done at all.

cardtrick

Arbiter
In other news, the text engine I'm working on has a Google Code page. Although there's no downloads yet and the code that's up there is out of date. I was kind of hoping I'd get to the point of having something to show people today, but it's amazing how long the simplest things can take, especially when you're a new programmer. I am working on it, just very slowly, mostly since pretty much every time I try to do something I run into something worth looking up, and then spend a couple of days reading books and blogposts.

Anyway, it''s called the TextGen Engine (get it? get it? see, "text" rhymes with "next" . . . )

kazgar

Arcane
cardtrick, how open are you having the project, once you get stuff up there, going to take submissions and the like?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Extremely open. I'm doing this mostly as a learning exercise, and having code reviews, contributions, and patches from other people seems like it would be perfect for that.

I would maintain overall direction, though. There are certain things that are nonnegotiable, because they're what I want to concentrate my learning on. In particular, the engine is going to have a strongly object oriented design, it's going to use XML files for all data formats, it will be cross platform and programmed in C# 3.0 on Mono/.NET, and the focus will be on text-based games with sound and static images in a GUI environment.

I've got 10 or 20 pages of rough "design doc" in a notebook that I've written up at work, which I'll convert to a wiki format at some point, and that will probably be a useful resource for anyone interested in contributing.

All that aside, I'd be delighted to have other people working on the project, and I'm very open to change and criticism.

kazgar

Arcane
Just checked out the svn and realised it gonna be difficult for me to do stuff on my work linux box (the sln/csproj to makefile converter died on the first part)

and im a rusty coder and have done very little C#, and not sure if i wanna buy visual studio just for it.

but hey, ill keep my eye on it, sounds interesting and if it helps american hare...

this is getting tangent-ish.

American Hare, running on the TextGen engine. I like the sound of that, and can see many games evolving from it. Any update is a good update. The engine seems to be exactly what AH needs.

It was probably too molyneuxius (I'm coining that) of me to start suggesting an isometric component.

wjw

Augur
Nice project you got there cardtrick, keep up the good work!

Chefe, you've got some stuff to fix in your dialogue classes section on your wiki. You have Criminal there twice, and how can you have an "antagonist" tag, no matter what character you are evil or no, you always remain the protagonist of the story.

hpmons

Novice
I would suggest you cut down on the dialog classes - with that many they will either end up same-y and thus redundant, or you will have too much work on your hands and even less motivation to finish (or even get a sizeable way through...) producing the game.

I just did a quick copy-pasta from a word doc I had lying around. I figure the place needed a bit more info.

I've been thinking about how I should go about actually writing the game. Since American Hare will feature more choices and consequences than any other RPG in gaming history, I believe the best way would be to write a series of short stories, each one highlighting a different aspect of personality gameplay. Then, I'll work them all in together. This will allow me to maintain consistency throughout the different paths, since the amount of text will be massive.

Here are a few of the short stories I have planned. Let me know what you think, and if I left out any, or any should be taken out, or if you don't really have an opinion but just like to comment.

None of these stories are all inclusive. Most will be intertwined with others. I'm just planning the far end of the scales. They will be told as you would expect any short story to be told, and not like the previous examples.

All American
If American Hare was a normal RPG, this would be the storyline for it. Generally an out-for-himself good guy, Hare will not really go against the grain much, following what people tell him, not doing a whole lot of personal exploration, and performing a couple of heroic saves in the process. Finding out why he was created could help him find himself.
Job - Migrant Farmer

Collar Grabbing Action!
Also known as the badass neutral, the bunny will be so extreme he'll make Jack Bauer and Commander Shepard look like two homosexual buttfucking teletubbies. As suspected, there will be a nice serving of "fuck you!", "go to hell!", and grabbing collars. He wants to find out how he was created because he goddamn feels like it.
Job - Archeologist

Excalibur
Hare will turn into a religious zealot, convinced that his existence is an affront to the power and will of God. He wants to find his creator, and destroy him.
Job - Missionary

Quest of the Spaz
Named after one of the greatest gaming heroes of all time, this story will see our beloved protagonist as mad as a March hare. Ha! Why does he want to find out who created him? Because his "other half" wants to.
Job - Circus Performer

Devil Incarnate
So evil, so vile, Hare will be the bane of Central America. A walking plague that brings harm and death to all in his path, our "hero" curses humans for his disgusting existence, all the while believing he is of a superior race. This tormented inner-conflict will drive him to perform unspeakable deeds. He seeks to find his creator, and only then will he decide what to do with him.
Job - Drug Trafficker

I realize that there is a bit of distrust regarding this project, but I assure you that it does exist.

Of course, giving your word on the internet is about as meaningful as a harem of women to a eunich. And so, I will be searching for an editor and creative consultant who will not only provide a second opinion, but will also vouch for the fact that I have indeed written something. Cardtrick can't do it because he's busy with the engine, and has his own game in pre-pre-pre-production.

Mojo

Scholar
Joke or not, it makes a lot of sense. If you are interested in actually just making the game you want and not recruiting co-workers/ getting a fanbase/ knowing the interests of your possible customers you should not be public. I was developing an unnanounced game simply because of that, even if you lose any constructive criticism that you might get, you also don't waste your energies, and focus on actually making the game.

And anyway, you should be 100% positive the jokes about this being vaporware won't stop until have something considerable done and that will naturally take a while considering this just started :wink: .

I like input. It's that simple. I don't look at potential players as customers because the game will be free. Constructive criticism helps you look at things in a new way, and always allows you to form a better opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom