Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Made a remake :smug:

Ladonna

Arcane
I have a few questions for the Commodore heads.

My ancient 64 and Amiga monitors are, well, ancient. They still work fine, but for how long? And the speakers on the C64 monitor does have a little bit of buzz that doesn't impress me. What are the best alternatives today that don't break the bank?

Commodore power supplies. Is there anything to worry about?

Is there any 'servicing' I should be doing on my C64/Amiga 500/Amiga 1200 machines or peripherals? Everything still works fine at the moment.

Is Jiffydos faster than an Epyx fast load cartridge? I play the old multi disk RPGs mainly, so which of these would be best?

Also, I have been looking at the sd-uiec, but cannot find a full library of D81 games (as I have read that this system doesn't work too well with disk flipping, which is a no no for C64 RPGs). What should I do?

Luzur

Good Sir
I have a few questions for the Commodore heads.

Go.

My ancient 64 and Amiga monitors are, well, ancient. They still work fine, but for how long? And the speakers on the C64 monitor does have a little bit of buzz that doesn't impress me. What are the best alternatives today that don't break the bank?

Emulator? or plug it into yer TV? or just buy a few extra machines and monitors, my monitor is from way back, and still works, it will prob die on me anytime now but thats how shit goes.

Commodore power supplies. Is there anything to worry about?

They usually have a fuse that saves it if overloaded, but the older pirate models do not, if it doesnt say Commodore on it it is possibly not safe.

Is there any 'servicing' I should be doing on my C64/Amiga 500/Amiga 1200 machines or peripherals? Everything still works fine at the moment.

de-dust and keep cool, and remove the old clock battery in Amiga's, they decay and start oozing on the board, my C64 and Amiga still lives even after being stuck in an attic for several years.

Is Jiffydos faster than an Epyx fast load cartridge? I play the old multi disk RPGs mainly, so which of these would be best?

Im not into that stuff, but yeah JiffyDOS is better, while the Epyx is also nice.

Also, I have been looking at the sd-uiec, but cannot find a full library of D81 games (as I have read that this system doesn't work too well with disk flipping, which is a no no for C64 RPGs). What should I do?

SD-EIUC? thats one of those SD card readers, right? i never had one of those so i dont know much of them.

I should buy one sometime.

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36602&sid=5ebd62b84f4e2e4ade7e83660113d102

big collection of D81 games.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

:salute:

oHCux0w.png

Luzur

Good Sir
Ive never heard of this game before, but it looks like a very early type of those click everywhere on screen facebook type of games.

Nice sounds though.

Last edited:

Suchy

Arcane
By accident I found this at work today:

ZxzKfRn.jpg

I'm pretty sure if I called it "Mother", I could trigger a hidden self destruction procedure that would wipe out half of my city.

newtmonkey

Arcane

The sd-uiec devices are nice, but very limited. Multi-disk games and any games that have fastloaders built in or use quirks of the disk drive hardware will not run, as the device does not emulate the drive hardware itself. Most RPGs will not work.

I have one of these devices and use it for the following:
- Running single disk action/arcade games
- Writing disk images to actual 5.25" floppies (copy disk images and file browser to sd card, then write image to disk)

This will get most worthwhile games working, though you will of course need to find 5.25" floppies (there are several vendors online that can sell you blank floppies for reasonable prices). If you don't want to bother with actual floppies but want to play RPGs on your C64, the sd-uiec devices will be pretty useless and I would recommend against it.

Your other option is the 1541 Ultimate II, though it is backordered and expensive (2-4 times more expensive than sd-uiec devices). It emulates the disk drive hardware and most if not all games will run from it, or so I've heard- I don't have the device.

Luzur

Good Sir
Some group of dudes are remaking the C65 computer.

http://mega65.org/

MEGA65 is an open-source new and open C65-like computer.
Hardware designs and software are open-source (LGPL).

Build the hardware at home or get it from us.
Enhance it yourself or together with the community.

01.jpg

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
That picture looks terrible compared to the original art. It looks something I could have put together in Bryce on my Cyrix 166+.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Amiga has just turned 30 years old yesterday, 23.7. and now of you faggots noticed it.

:decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom