Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs by Frictional Games and Dear Esther devs

Wolfus

Arcane
Why do you need to compare totally different games? I love Silent Hill games because of their psychological element. I also like Amnesia because of it's terror level. And I also like Dracula games because of atmosphere. Oh don't forget (IMO) :monocle: games like Elvira and Waxworks (gore!!!). Don't argue and play all of them. They are worth of it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I have to confess that I still have been unable to collect the 8 pages in Slender and haven't tried to do so again because it creeps me out.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Delayed until Q2, April through June.

“How come a game meant for Halloween 2012 has been delayed for so long? Originally we thought it would be a short, experimental game set in the universe of Amnesia, but thechineseroom had a vision that was bigger than that,” said the company in a blog post. “As their work progressed, the potential for a much greater project emerged. What we ended up with is no longer what we had first imagined, but a fully fledged Amnesia game. A different kind of Amnesia, but definitely not a short experiment.”

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No rush, I'm just playing through the first Amnesia now. It's okay but nothing great. The 'puzzles' are pretty simplistic although I realize the emphasis is more on atmosphere and setting.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The more I play Amnesia the less I like it. It's not psychological enough. But I definitely had some good moments with it. But you wouldn't see it on my list of recommended horror games, subjective as it might be.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yeah Amnesia was a step backward imo. Enemies actually patrolled and the modern setting with computers and electronics of Penumbra and felt richer in content.

Mothman

Novice
Never really understood the appeal of the first game. I did get a rush when I had to flee the invisible monster in the water; but that's the only thing that excited me during the game. The monsters were more annoying than scary, and the beginning parts of the game were boring. The story was the only mildly entertaining thing that kept me playing to the very end, and the ending was "meh." There are two endings, but I didn't bother to play it a second time. As for the upcoming sequel---I'll pass.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Here's the thing that killed Amnesia for me:

I am getting chased by some (lame) monsters and they are getting closer and I run into- a flashback. The game cuts into flashback mode, yet the monster is still following me. This isn't scary, it's just terrible, terrible design. The flashbacks are annoying already, but triggering them when there are monsters on your tail is just beyond lame.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Flashbacks were annoying and blinding with those bursts of light. Re: water monsters. The first time it appeared it was cool. Then you run into it again maybe an hour or so later with that timed gate portion. Turned the game into a jumping platformer by using the same schtick twice within a relatively short time span.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The Flashbacks were annoying and blinding with those bursts of light. Re: water monsters. The first time it appeared it was cool. Then you run into it again maybe an hour or so later with that timed gate portion. Turned the game into a jumping platformer by using the same schtick twice within a relatively short time span.

Er, what? There is exactly one segment containing an actual water monster in Amnesia. There are, however, multiple instances of the game suggesting the presence of a water monster afterwards, without there actually being one - which in my opinion was really well done. So, it's like the total opposite of what you said, bro.

There are good reasons to dislike Amnesia, but water monster is not one of them.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Are there any STEAM stats on this, like how many people actually finished the game etc?

Nope. No acheesements. Best you could do is looked at played time and just assume anyone who put in 8 or so hours probably finished.

Er, what? There is exactly one segment containing an actual water monster in Amnesia. There are, however, multiple instances of the game suggesting the presence of a water monster afterwards, without there actually being one - which in my opinion was really well done. So, it's like the total opposite of what you said, bro.

Apparently I'm going senile and you're right. I went back and checked a video and what I experienced was playing through the demo (that had the water monster segment) with playing the actual water monster segment in the full game. Only recently started playing again after about the hour I initially put into it so I had conflated the two experiences~

Overall, though, the game doesn't hold my interest for long. I can only play it in 30-45 minute bits. It's not that it's so scary I can't continue it's just... a little too simple. The experience is sort of like watching an episode of a television series. I get past one major part and stop for a while.

Jokulmorder

Novice
I'm personally excited. I haven't played Dear Esther, but the trailer seems very similar to the first Amnesia, and I liked that one. I didn't see the "artsy" feel that some are talking about ("The Swine will Rise" sounds more like a terrible B movie slogan), and that's fine with me.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Are there any STEAM stats on this, like how many people actually finished the game etc?

Nope. No acheesements. Best you could do is looked at played time and just assume anyone who put in 8 or so hours probably finished.

Apparently I'm going senile and you're right. I went back and checked a video and what I experienced was playing through the demo (that had the water monster segment) with playing the actual water monster segment in the full game. Only recently started playing again after about the hour I initially put into it so I had conflated the two experiences~

Overall, though, the game doesn't hold my interest for long. I can only play it in 30-45 minute bits. It's not that it's so scary I can't continue it's just... a little too simple. The experience is sort of like watching an episode of a television series. I get past one major part and stop for a while.

The optimist in me wants to see most of the inadequacies of Amnesia - like the simplicity, small and straightforward levels, almost no persistent enemies, and so forth - as a consequence of the very troubled development process. Frictional nearly went out of business making the game, and the concept changed like three times along the way, and what they released was basically a result of around 9 months of work, if I remember correctly. And since they now have more money than they can spend, they might make a much better game.

The pessimist in me predicts that they'll focus on some overly ambitious artfag crap and fail spectacularly.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Oooor, they may spend it on hookers and pizza.

And deliver just a bonus levels for Amnesia. Hipster mob will love it and call it revolutionary anyway.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
More polishing, and the game will be released at the end of the summer.

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-21385-post-234672.html#pid234672

To give you guys some info..

We are working away as fast as we can, it has to take the time it takes. We have no rush and as a certain well known game developer said "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.".

We are optimizing, tweaking and in general putting the FG expertise to good use. TCR keeps putting in work as well. There are companies working on the translations (will launch with 9 languages in addition to original English). The porting guys are porting away. Deals are being made. Things are prepared for launching the game through more online stores than any other FG game before. In general occupied with all things related.

We know we will not make Q2, we also know when the game will be ready for launch. We have not set the exact day yet. You can however make good use of the weather outside this summer and look forward to gaming with the piggies as the summer comes to an end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom