Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs by Frictional Games and Dear Esther devs

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You guys should look into reddit.com, it's a website where your sense of humor would be greatly appreciated.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Can't wait for this sucker to come out. Can't get me enough Lovecraftian horror games. These games don't have any quick replay value though, you beat them and have to shelve them for a few years before you give 'em another go.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Can't wait for this sucker to come out. Can't get me enough Lovecraftian horror games. These games don't have any quick replay value though, you beat them and have to shelve them for a few years before you give 'em another go.

What makes you think it's going to be Lovecraftian? The first Amnesia was classic gothic horror, despite idiots calling it Lovecraftian as well. In any case, I think Darkness Within is the closest I've seen a video game get to the spirit of Lovecraft's works.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
The devs have long since admitted that they were largely influenced by Lovecraft. All their games have similar narration. Why do idiots try to fight facts?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Stephen King says the same thing. Is Carrie Lovecraftian as well now? I really dislike how that adjective gets used nowadays, like every second piece of horror fiction needs to be labelled with it. May as well start calling everything including a hero's journey "Homerian". There were horror authors before and after Lovecraft, and Amnesia in particular owes more to the likes of Stoker.

Penumbra has a better claim, but it evokes The Thing just as much, if not more.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's not really out of place, despite all of the hype his faceless space gods get, a large portion of his stories revolve around old buildings/castles/cities filled with human degenerates/mutants/zombies. They usually only have the backdrop of his more familiar cosmic elements.

That and strange dreamscapes, but no one ever really talks about those when they say they were inspired by Lovecraft.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It's not really out of place, despite all of the hype his faceless space gods get, a large portion of his stories revolve around old buildings/castles/cities filled with human degenerates/mutants/zombies. They usually only have the backdrop of his more familiar cosmic elements.

That and strange dreamscapes, but no one ever really talks about those when they say they were inspired by Lovecraft.

Lovecraft doesn't do castles specifically all that much though (The Outsider is one prominent example), he's much more into old Colonial houses and mansions, and the early history of the New World plays an important role in his stories; the past in general is a universal source of evil and degeneration, but rarely in an actively dangerous way - The Shadow over Innsmouth is a rare example of that. Typically it's the protagonist investigating that which he should not of his own volition, and slowly descending into madness in the process.

Amnesia takes place in an old, creepy castle, which is more of a gothic horror thing.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Watched a gameplay video recently, they seem to be liking the direction their game took after Amnesia. Mostly environmental puzzles and a complete lack of combat, when you see something you run like a coward.
Their first game, even if it had it's problems, had a combat system. You could fight most of the monsters and it was logical. It seems they received a great amount of criticism for the combat system and instead of improving it they removed it completely in Penumbra 2 if I remember correctly.

This "streamlining" process is no different from what Bethesda did in Oblivion, removing "not needed" skills or merging them. From my point of view this is decline of Frictional Games(even though this game is made by another company I think) and I won't touch another game from Penumbra/Amnesia franchise if they don't implement combat or improve the puzzles/riddles.

Borelli

Arcane
I remember watching some developer commentary video on the first Penumbra where he set alight the gas tank and then threw it on a wolf. Because of this the combat had this environmental usage feeling to fight the enemy instead of head which i feel fits the horror more.
Then they removed it altogether because some guy jumped on a crate where the wolves couldn't reach him but he could them and so they cut it.:(

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Watched a gameplay video recently, they seem to be liking the direction their game took after Amnesia. Mostly environmental puzzles and a complete lack of combat, when you see something you run like a coward.
Their first game, even if it had it's problems, had a combat system. You could fight most of the monsters and it was logical. It seems they received a great amount of criticism for the combat system and instead of improving it they removed it completely in Penumbra 2 if I remember correctly.

This "streamlining" process is no different from what Bethesda did in Oblivion, removing "not needed" skills or merging them. From my point of view this is decline of Frictional Games(even though this game is made by another company I think) and I won't touch another game from Penumbra/Amnesia franchise if they don't implement combat or improve the puzzles/riddles.

Don't worry bro, EA made a game called Dead Space which is way more complex than Penumbra - not only does it have combat, but multiple weapons and ammo types! Truly Frictional should learn from this shining example of horror game design.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
You could fight most of the monsters and it was logical. It seems they received a great amount of criticism for the combat system and instead of improving it they removed it completely in Penumbra 2 if I remember correctly.

The combat system was boring and the amount of enemies they threw at you removed any sense of tension. Being able to kill the creature pursuing you in Amnesia would eliminate the entire drive of the game, unless they resorted to infinitely re-spawning the creature which would, again, remove all tension.

Frictional removed the worst aspect of the game and improved areas they were already excelling at, that's called being smart and playing your to strengths, not streamlining.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Playing right now. It begins a bit lazily, with you walking and discovering journal notes...

...also, you can throw a chair at a window to hear a definitely wooden sound (and of course no change to the glass). I thought physics was supposed to be important here...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wow, that fast? Though I guess Amnesia wasn't particularly long... and it didn't even interest me enough to finish. Christ, tried to find a YouTube walkthrough but every one has the fucking player in a video stream in the upper corner. Why are people so obsessed with seeing reactions. Ermagerd itz err gerrrblin!!!!

...interactivity or horror of A:TDD.

Didn't have that much, quite frankly.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hm. I was just about to say "I'm hooked" :D Even though I have to confirm I have found zero interactivity in the game. Goddamnit, one day one purchases.

Last edited:
Wow, that fast? Though I guess Amnesia wasn't particularly long... and it didn't even interest me enough to finish. Christ, tried to find a YouTube walkthrough but every one has the fucking player in a video stream in the upper corner. Why are people so obsessed with seeing reactions. Ermagerd itz err gerrrblin!!!!

...interactivity or horror of A:TDD.

Didn't have that much, quite frankly.

It had enough to make it a bit realistic, since you could pick up and probe most stuff. And that made the horror part that much more believable as well. That's what I loved about the Penumbra's too. The damn dogs there were more scary than the monsters in AMPF.

In AMFP you can only touch and carry things that are relevant to progress. And since there is no inventory all of the "puzzles" are solvable without much wondering around, because everything is just a few steps away.

Astral Rag

Arcane
^ That and the removal of the sanity meter demoted this to a 1€ bundle purchase.

Do you still have to refill your lantern at least?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In AMFP you can only touch and carry things that are relevant to progress. And since there is no inventory all of the "puzzles" are solvable without much wondering around, because everything is just a few steps away.

Oh wow...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
He ain't.

You know it's bad when even the top sellout potato gaming mag gave it 2/6 saying that it's watered down crap with no scares (but obviously unlimited light and no inventory is a plus for them LOLOLO).

Also, I love how this game kept getting delayed from the initial release date on Halloween 2012. What the fuck were they doing all that time? Adding another hour to the 3-hour-long corridor?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom