Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amy Hennig: "Triple-A development an arms race that is unwinnable"

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...tely-at-the-point-where-somethings-gotta-give

Podcast:
https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/amy-hennig
https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/amy-hennig-part-2

"We're definitely at the point where something's gotta give"

Amy Hennig calls AAA development "an arms race that is unwinnable" where crunch is still a big problem

With a CV that includes Crystal Dynamics, Naughty Dog and now Electronic Arts, Amy Hennig has worked in AAA console development for more than 20 years. But reaching that cutting-edge and staying there demands significant personal sacrifice, and Hennig believes the AAA industry has reached the point where, "something's gotta give."

In a long and fascinating interview with Idle Thumbs' Designer Notes podcast, Hennig described the darker aspects of what has otherwise been a glittering career. many think of crunch as a declining problem in the industry, but Hennig's recollections are as recent as Uncharted 3 at Naughty Dog, which launched in 2011.

"I pretty much worked seven days a week, at least 12 hours a day"

"[Uncharted] 3 was hard, because even though we had two years again, it was two years after two projects that were a crunch," she said, referring to the project's development cycle. "And it was a time when we were also trying to grow the studio and split into two teams, and deal with all of the recruitment issues that went into that. And try to figure out what to do in the face of the success of the second game, and still only have two years with all those challenges. It was a tough one."

While not every factor that Hennig mentioned were essential to making Uncharted 3, the need to grow and expand while still meeting a rigid production schedule will be familiar to many AAA console studios. In addition to this, Hennig said, generating new ideas becomes more difficult with each new game, and each new game brings more scrutiny from an ever growing number of opinionated "stakeholders." As a director, and therefore one of the most senior members on the team, Hennig recalled still working on the previous game - "y'know, bug fixing or whatever, writing the strategy guide" - when others were returning from their vacations, "all refreshed and ready to go."

When Soren Johnson, the designer of Offworld Trading Company and the host of the podcast, asked Hennig how difficult AAA development was on a personal level, Hennig replied, "Really hard. The whole time I was at Naughty Dog - ten-and-a-half years - I probably, on average, I don't know if I ever worked less than 80 hours a week. There were exceptions where it was like, 'Okay, let's take a couple of days off,' but I pretty much worked seven days a week, at least 12 hours a day."

"We have to get our act figured out as an industry, and the problem is that the ante keeps getting upped"

And the seven-day working schedule wasn't limited to people on Hennig's level. Johnson posited that weekend work wasn't generally the same, and asked how much of Naughty Dog's team would be present. "A lot of it," Hennig replied. "I mean, Naughty Dog is pretty notorious for the amount of crunch, but obviously in a leadership role you try and do even more."

This is particularly revealing given that, in an interview earlier this year, Uncharted 4 director Neil Druckmann said that crunch partially informed the themes at the heart of the game. Last year, an IGDA survey showed that increased awareness of crunch as an issue hadn't prevented two-thirds of developers from working under those conditions.

While Hennig admitted that she wouldn't change anything that meant she hadn't made games like the Uncharted series, she admitted to having a clearer view of the issue when looking at the experiences of other people. When asked if making AAA games was worth the lifestyle that goes along with it, she replied, "I don't think so."

700x-1

"There's people who never go home and see their families. They have children who are growing up without seeing them," she said. "I didn't have my own kids. I chose my career in lots of ways, and I could be single-minded like that. When I was making sacrifices, did it affect my family? Yes, but it was primarily affecting me and I could make that choice. But when I look at other people... I mean, my health really declined, and I had to take care of myself, because it was, like, bad. And there were people who, y'know, collapsed, or had to go and check themselves in somewhere when one of these games were done. Or they got divorced. That's not okay, any of that. None of this is worth that.

"There's people who never go home and see their families. They have children who are growing up without seeing them"

"We have to get our act figured out as an industry, and the problem is that the ante keeps getting upped... It's an arms race that is unwinnable and is destroying people."

Nevertheless, Hennig's passion for her work and love for the medium is clear. The question, then, is: "How can we still make games like this in a way that is sane and responsible and ethical? Because we're not doing it right now."

On that front Johnson and Hennig did not arrive at any simple answers. Indeed, their conversation highlights the complicated web of factors that make the escalating ambition and scale of AAA console development seem inexorable: consumer desire for games that push the limits of technology, publishing executives focusing on quarterly financial results, and a developer culture that still venerates Metacritic scores, awards, and even the number of hours worked.

"Are you willing to go longer?" Hennig asked, referring to the dev cycle on a AAA game. "Trying to finish a game like that [Uncharted 3] in two years is insane, especially when you're saying that the two years is everything: pre-production, production, go... Time is a huge one, but then everyone is racing with cost versus time. So could we do it with smaller teams longer? Sure, but then we tend to throw people at these things and burn money fast... We've all seen games that took too long and they kinda got lapped."

The trajectory of AAA console games, Hennig said, is, "to be all things to everyone." However, at a time when new distribution and pricing models have given rise to so much change and renewal, the world in which she works has largely stuck with the same price-point and the same drive for upping the ante.

"Uncharted 1; a ten-hour game, no other modes... you can't make a game like that any more"

"When you go to pitch a game like this, it's like, 'Well it better have this many hours, and you'd better have this mode, and you'd better do this.' Or we could go, 'You know what, we're gonna make the best fucking six hour game you've ever seen. And that's all it is. And could you please make that $40?'

"We're definitely at the point where something's gotta give... And my hope was that different means of distribution, the fact that everything wasn't bricks-and-mortar and in a box, it would be that. And I think in some quarters that's true, but I think for AAA development we're still stuck in that rut, and the ante keeps getting upped.

"I mean, Uncharted 1; a ten-hour game, no other modes... you can't make a game like that any more."

Old all-known subject, yet the industry still keeps digging itself deeper into a hole. It's the law of diminishing returns by the sweat of your brow.

Sometimes you really wonder why such kick-ass talent is even bothering with such bloated and stressful projects when their creative juices could be easier elicited with more concentrated efforts. I know I know, teh money. As a consumer though I got 10x more out of indie project "Life is Strange" than Heavy Rain on which some key devs worked on before. And there's a myriad of other expamles where a handful of highly motivated developers manage to have a greater impact on the art form (be it specific in writing or art or quest design, or the greater whole than the sum of it's parts) than disjointed market-study driven E3 wankfests that require to sell 10 million units in the first month or else.

At some point you gotta realize that exhaustion is a reality and a detriment to everyone. Except of course for parasitic structures that nurture on this whole shebang of show, hype and celebration. You know who I mean.

Like overcrowded cities cannot survive democracy, overcrowded teams cannot maintain their objectives. Something's gotta give indeed.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Exactly. In today's indie landscape where we have the engine and every software available to smaller developers, you can make a living off of indie projects if you are talented. I could even argue that you can earn more money with a kickass and unique indie game, than in a AAA company.

And why don't AAA companies create a more realistic development schedule, so you don't have to spend the last 6 month in crunch mode? And why isn't any organization out there which steps up against these conditions. It blows one's mind that these devs are working in these conditions. Like slaves in a mine. Sure, they have their modern workplace, their food and paycheck, but slaving away 80 hours a week for years is unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Becaise as usual, suits, executive and investors are out of touch with everything and demand the impossible.

They are knowledgeable in business part, but severely lacking in the technical part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Unions. :smug:

If industry treats its employees as workers, instead of artists many see themselves as and will tolerate a lot of shit just to be able to "realize their vision", then they should start acting like workers and take steps so they're not treated as disposable wipes.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I also remember an article from not long ago, where a company leader specifically said that crunch time is good for developers because it brings outs the best from them. Don't you see guys, videogames are just getting better because of the crunch?!

Archibald

Arcane
Isn't it same in Hollywood? Lots 100+ mil misfires, some people keep talking about incoming crash and how this can't work long term, but if you look at the release schedules we are getting more of these big blockbusters. I guess key difference is that movie can recoup some costs with DVD release and merchandise sales even if it flops/underperforms in theatrical release while game that flops on release is very unlikely to get any money back.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I also remember an article from not long ago, where a company leader specifically said that crunch time is good for developers because it brings outs the best from them. Don't you see guys, videogames are just getting better because of the crunch?!

Crunch time has it's uses though (not for long durations though, like several months) as long as it's your inner perfectionist that's pushing you, not some suit breathing down your neck with a pink slip in his pocket.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Crunch time has it's uses though (not for long durations though, like several months) as long as it's your inner perfectionist that's pushing you, not some suit breathing down your neck with a pink slip in his pocket.
crunch should only exist of the person if willing out of passion.

rezaf

Cipher
crunch should only exist of the person if willing out of passion.

Cynical me would argue that even most teamleaders (and such) today would sign this, followed by: "And we're ALL working here out of passion. Right? RIGHT?"

Archibald

Arcane
Thats leadership 101, you always want others to think that they are doing things because they really want to do them and not because you told them to do it.

Isn't it same in Hollywood?

Yeah it is.

This relates to the art production.

It's out of sight and out of mind in the end.
And hey at least they ain't the people paid in peanuts when its outsourced overseas.

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
Only when you realize that you are getting fucked in the ass. Ignorance is bliss.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The only reason to be on an AAA as a developer is the challenge and kick you get from solving the project's problems, specially if you're into games. It's a really interesting space with real-time systems, computer graphics, at-scale networking, and a touch of embedded programming.

Other than that you'd get paid double for easier, more impactful, and less stressful work literally everywhere else.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Don't game designers and programmers have a trade union?
Seems like the publishers have all the power and the devs and programmers let themselves be treated like slaves just so they can fulfill their dream of making video games.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Don't game designers and programmers have a trade union?
No programmer group has a union, and every large attempt has been uprooted. The IT market is artificially kept unregularized so you can hire anyone (i.e. physicists, mathematicians, biologists...) from anywhere, at any salary and work conditions they're willing to take.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just the state of affairs.

Mustawd

Sometimes you really wonder why such kick-ass talent is even bothering with such bloated and stressful projects when their creative juices could be easier elicited with more concentrated efforts. I know I know, teh money.

Actually, aren't ppl in the vidya game industry underpaid?

The thing is there are a thousand people lined up to do your job for probably a bit less pay. So you really have no leverage if you want to keep making video games.

It really sounds like a crap industry tbh.

Or better put...

the devs and programmers let themselves be treated like slaves just so they can fulfill their dream of making video games.

Really though, these people have no one to blame but themselves for being taken advantage of. Want a life? Go do something else.

pippin

People talk about markets and industries as if they were intangible units, but they aren't. Devs are getting seriously fucked up, probably the worst in any sort of industry, and nobody seems to care. What they have to do is grab the companies by the balls, and teach them that they are the basis of the work that's being done and they have a right to own their work. I'm really amazed at the fact that devs say shit like not being able to sleep during release week because you're working as if it was something cute, like a funny anecdote, and it's made worse by the fact that they don't get to own anything. Situations like NOLF's state could be avoided if there was some sort of entity taking care of the worker's rights, or at least forcing companies to not behave like fuckheads, which is what they usually do when their profit is mostly based on other people's work. I don't know if making unions would be the perfect solution, but at least going on strike could help, like Hollywood's writers.

Also, MCA's situation is pretty common among all creative industries. It usually ends up being more fullfilling materially and spiritually to just go freelance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom